No love for maxi mini nems :(

Tommypantsmagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive the sandbed. We did some restructuring and are having a little bloom at the moment.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are our Nems...well most of them anyway

IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG

Love, love those!!!

What lighting are they under?

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started out blue/green, now it's red, lives high up on a rock., likes the light, whereas the rock nems live low and out of bright light
AquaSD had lots of them
"Had" being the key word.. I can't find any for sale online other than random 3-pack (which I don't trust as it's not wysiwyg)

I've never heard of an anemone changing color, that's really odd, and I'd love to see pics of you have them

Seahorsekelly69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it's because they seem to live forever? I've got 2 in my reef, and through thick n thin, they've handles my waves!
I've never had issues with them bothering fish or anything else! And I'd certainly be begging you for some of the gorgeous ones you posted pics of, if I hadn't gone seahorse crazy. Lol. My poor reef .
I hope you do keep them thriving! I have a feeling this is one that will come back around. Sticks n stones don't last like these beauties!

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We see them frequently. Usually at least 20 on eBay at any time.
??? link one up?
Id love to find nice ones.... like i said the only ones we see online are your plain green/red ones and now people even want $50 for those! we can get the regular ones from our local store for $35 with the store making some money.... but we are really only looking for the true ULTRAS

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We see them frequently. Usually at least 20 on eBay at any time.
I'm also very hesitant about ordering from random people, and not a reputable store.....
Ive seen too many people get burned, myself included, from online sales....

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what im talking about......
None of these are actually ULTRA quality and they want an INSANE amount of money.... our local store has ones that look like this for $35 as i mentioned....
Its just sad. :(

The MOST we paid for any of ours was $69 and that was for a TRUE rainbow.....

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 7.39.09 AM.png

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also very hesitant about ordering from random people, and not a reputable store.....
Ive seen too many people get burned, myself included, from online sales....

Any store can get maximini. Most just don't put them on the order list because they are very difficult to sell(with the newer rock flower craze.) You can probably convince your LFS to order a few if you ask them.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any store can get maximini. Most just don't put them on the order list because they are very difficult to sell(with the newer rock flower craze.) You can probably convince your LFS to order a few if you ask them.
You seem to be misunderstanding me.
I've stated many times that my local store does have them. And for under half the price. But none of them are nice. I'm looking for high quality wysiwyg ones.

I understand the market dictates what's available, just sucks when they stop bringing in any that are nice. I was hoping that by being here on a national forum rather than my local ones I might have better luck finding some, but it seems like they just aren't being harvested like they used to.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hence the "No love for maxis" title. Nobody's got any love for them anymore.

Did you ask the LFS about them? When they order they can select ultra grade instead of basic and I'm sure you will get some that are just as good as the 20 you currently have and can we please see a pic:))

Last edited:
OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ask the LFS about them? When they order they can select ultra grade instead of basic and I'm sure you will get some that are just as good as the 20 you currently have and can we please see a pic:))
our LFS know very well about our Nem collection, and most of the time we buy them before they even get acclimated to the store tank. except the problem is that what goes for "Ultra" these days is like whats on that site that i posted up. and those are just regular. so i need WYSIWYG, otherwise we end up with just more of the same.
Photos are posted up a few messages above here by Tommypantsmagee

jpreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to be misunderstanding me.
I've stated many times that my local store does have them. And for under half the price. But none of them are nice. I'm looking for high quality wysiwyg ones.

I understand the market dictates what's available, just sucks when they stop bringing in any that are nice. I was hoping that by being here on a national forum rather than my local ones I might have better luck finding some, but it seems like they just aren't being harvested like they used to.

There is just no market for them as there are much better designer nems available these days.

Why would anyone in a business purchase products that don't sell but to a very small percentage of the population?

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
our LFS know very well about our Nem collection, and most of the time we buy them before they even get acclimated to the store tank. except the problem is that what goes for "Ultra" these days is like whats on that site that i posted up. and those are just regular. so i need WYSIWYG, otherwise we end up with just more of the same.
Photos are posted up a few messages above here by Tommypantsmagee

Ya that's probably the issue you are looking for "ultra" ultra lol and those would be just top few in a large quantity buy of ultras. But like you said no one wants to buy those regular ultra so it would be a very bad investment for a business.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Had" being the key word.. I can't find any for sale online other than random 3-pack (which I don't trust as it's not wysiwyg)

I've never heard of an anemone changing color, that's really odd, and I'd love to see pics of you have them
I couldn't find it in the original form of blue/green, but here's it as red, it's the highest coral/ nem in the tank today

image.jpg

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is just no market for them as there are much better designer nems available these days.

Why would anyone in a business purchase products that don't sell but to a very small percentage of the population?
What are you referring to in regards as "much better designer nems"? that statement kind of makes me laugh, because no nems are "designer" nobody is breeding nems and coming up with different morphs like they breed fish.
Rock nems are "Blah" in my opinion, if thats what you are refering to. I think Maxi's are much nicer.
I guess we just have better taste than most people tho ;Playful(joking)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back