No Mechanical Filtration?

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I have a 16 gallon tank that I’ve only been using to house some feeder shrimp, crabs, and a toadfish. I originally broke it down as a reef tank when I moved everything in it to my main 75 gallon reef system. I only have it about halfway full and I primarily just use it to raise live food. I have a canister filter on it that I rarely ever clean out. Would I be able to get away with removing the canister and just putting in a few powerheads and a heater? It has live rock and gravel substrate. I’ve actually been surprised that it’s done as well as it has with just a weekly 2 gallon water change. I also threw in some chaeto for the shrimp and crabs. What do you think?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only mechanical filtration I have ever run on saltwater is skimmer. You could just remove the media from the canister and replace it with rubble and leave it as is.

OP
OP
His Coral Highness

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on a desk without a cabinet so the canister looks ugly… Yeah it’s really a side project compared to my main tank so I’d like it to be as low maintenance as possible, but I don’t mind weekly water changes

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on a desk without a cabinet so the canister looks ugly… Yeah it’s really a side project compared to my main tank so I’d like it to be as low maintenance as possible, but I don’t mind weekly water changes
Yeah, i can understand that. Depending on how much rock you have and how much food you put in and algae etc you may not even need once a week WC's (but then again you may need more...) just test water and change as needed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back