No Mechanical Filtration?

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

His Coral Highness

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2022
Messages
267
Reaction score
302
Location
Charleston, SC
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I have a 16 gallon tank that I’ve only been using to house some feeder shrimp, crabs, and a toadfish. I originally broke it down as a reef tank when I moved everything in it to my main 75 gallon reef system. I only have it about halfway full and I primarily just use it to raise live food. I have a canister filter on it that I rarely ever clean out. Would I be able to get away with removing the canister and just putting in a few powerheads and a heater? It has live rock and gravel substrate. I’ve actually been surprised that it’s done as well as it has with just a weekly 2 gallon water change. I also threw in some chaeto for the shrimp and crabs. What do you think?
 
Only mechanical filtration I have ever run on saltwater is skimmer. You could just remove the media from the canister and replace it with rubble and leave it as is.
 
It’s on a desk without a cabinet so the canister looks ugly… Yeah it’s really a side project compared to my main tank so I’d like it to be as low maintenance as possible, but I don’t mind weekly water changes
 
It’s on a desk without a cabinet so the canister looks ugly… Yeah it’s really a side project compared to my main tank so I’d like it to be as low maintenance as possible, but I don’t mind weekly water changes
Yeah, i can understand that. Depending on how much rock you have and how much food you put in and algae etc you may not even need once a week WC's (but then again you may need more...) just test water and change as needed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new