No really...calcium reactor setup is THIS easy! | Reef FAQs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef2Reefers, check this out !

Want to know the easiest way to run a calcium reactor? Ryan's got a sure fire way to set one up that will almost make this system easier to use than 2-part dosing!

DocPaulo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avid calcium reactor user here... it is that easy.. only negative is the startup cost.. long term cost, its cheaper.. i think a year was my breakeven point

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is this unit : https://www.marinetechnical.com/page12.html , a carbon doser electronic regulator..and as for that 2 little fishies media: all that is -is philippine coral gravel-which we used to get by the ton in 50lb bags back in the day...julian sprung must have stockpiled a bunch before they banned the import of it...
Ran a tank in the late 70's with about 4" of that philippine coral gravel in a RUGF setup...beast tank I ever ran back in the day...

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS

I just stumbled across this video. Pretty much meshes with what I thought except that I was expecting to see an alk monitor thrown in the mix on the flow rate side.

Mind sharing why you didn't recommend something along the lines of an alk monitor plus controller to manage the Kamoer pump duty cycle instead of manually twisting the flow rate knob? A duty cycle approach (e.g. on for 10 minutes, off 2 or on 10 minutes, off 5 - etc) based on alk would handle periodic changes in demand automatically, no?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS

I just stumbled across this video. Pretty much meshes with what I thought except that I was expecting to see an alk monitor thrown in the mix on the flow rate side.

Mind sharing why you didn't recommend something along the lines of an alk monitor plus controller to manage the Kamoer pump duty cycle instead of manually twisting the flow rate knob? A duty cycle approach (e.g. on for 10 minutes, off 2 or on 10 minutes, off 5 - etc) based on alk would handle periodic changes in demand automatically, no?

That does sound plausible and might be something cool for someone to try out! Personally, my main concern would be the intermittent OFF/ON cycling of the Kamoer pump and how well it would hold up over multiples of hundreds of cycles per year, but it would be neat to find out. :)

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does sound plausible and might be something cool for someone to try out! Personally, my main concern would be the intermittent OFF/ON cycling of the Kamoer pump and how well it would hold up over multiples of hundreds of cycles per year, but it would be neat to find out. :)

The PWM approach popped to mind because I figured controllable pumps didn't exist since you recommended the Kamoer and I didn't see other on your site. First result on Google popped up these: https://www.golanderpump.com/

Peristaltic pumps aren't really in my day-to-day wheelhouse so know very little about them but those seem to have similar flow characteristics as the Kamoer FX-STP plus offer 0-10v control and models in a reasonably close price bracket. I assume the listed prices are MSRP so they definitely fit into your current offerings price wise (and even lower than your Abyzz pumps! =P)

Y'all know about more products than me =) Do you have any 0-10v controllable offerings on your radar?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back