No response from tunze

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent two emails over 2 weeks from their site under how to contact us but haven’t heard back

I’ll post my question below, maybe someone here can help....

I just bought a Tunze 3155 for my IM 25g lagoon. When it turns off and back on the pump will pump water for a little over 15 secs upon start up. With me living in Florida during a storm it could flicker a few times and would eventually flood the small return chamber, tank and my floor.

I have the 36” APS stand so when setting the Tunze controller to nano the pump has too much head pressure and can’t pump a drop to the return chamber. Even when turning the potentiometer to the lowest setting it’s still too much flow for power outages. I thought of turning the controller up to max pressure and using a micro valve to control the flow but I don’t think that would be good for the pump long term.

How are others dealing with the 3155 on a nano tank? Would using a micro valve hurt the pump long term?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent two emails over 2 weeks from their site under how to contact us but haven’t heard back

I’ll post my question below, maybe someone here can help....

I just bought a Tunze 3155 for my IM 25g lagoon. When it turns off and back on the pump will pump water for a little over 15 secs upon start up. With me living in Florida during a storm it could flicker a few times and would eventually flood the small return chamber, tank and my floor.

I have the 36” APS stand so when setting the Tunze controller to nano the pump has too much head pressure and can’t pump a drop to the return chamber. Even when turning the potentiometer to the lowest setting it’s still too much flow for power outages. I thought of turning the controller up to max pressure and using a micro valve to control the flow but I don’t think that would be good for the pump long term.

How are others dealing with the 3155 on a nano tank? Would using a micro valve hurt the pump long term?

A tunze 3155 should include a float switch that is an emergency stop. It will not pump over that float once triggered.

Do you not have that set up? It should prevent any sort of over filling.

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A delay timer may help a little with the flicker on/off fills. Really not much you can do besides what you have already done. I'd call tunze on Monday. The rep is awesome and full of info. I'm getting around 2 cups pumped when pump comes on with factory settings. Another option is to buy a UPS and run the 3155 off of it.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for that, emails on Tunze.com are routed through Germany. I would be happy to look into it in more detail to see where it got lost or hung up. Often since the reply comes from another email they are replied to but flagged as spam.

I would open the controller and reduce the pump speed to nano, you can add a two little fishies micro valve to the end of the hose to further reduce flow. This is generally needed on a system with less than 25 gallons volume for the 3155.

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for that, emails on Tunze.com are routed through Germany. I would be happy to look into it in more detail to see where it got lost or hung up. Often since the reply comes from another email they are replied to but flagged as spam.

I would open the controller and reduce the pump speed to nano, you can add a two little fishies micro valve to the end of the hose to further reduce flow. This is generally needed on a system with less than 25 gallons volume for the 3155.

thanks for the reply.

when I set it to nano it can’t pump 1 drop to the return chamber?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that nano is too slow, just turn it up very slightly above nano. Since pump speed also affects pressure, it is not uncommon that we need to be just barely higher than full stop nano for the pump to produce enough pressure.

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that nano is too slow, just turn it up very slightly above nano. Since pump speed also affects pressure, it is not uncommon that we need to be just barely higher than full stop nano for the pump to produce enough pressure.

From my initial post;
I have the 36” APS stand so when setting the Tunze controller to nano the pump has too much head pressure and can’t pump a drop to the return chamber. Even when turning the potentiometer to the lowest setting it’s still too much flow

My problem was even at the lowest setting it was still too much. As long as I can use a valve to control the pressure / water flow I'm fine, I just didn't want to burn out pumps and have to replace them often.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused, I remember the initial issue, but now it cannot pump any water at all at the same setting or did you add the valve? The pumps are not harmed by the restriction but the regular Osmolator is generally designed for larger systems, so it will tend to add more water than a small nano can handle and so it requires some tinkering, especially below 30 gallons.

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t set it to nano because it couldn’t pump any water. I adjusted it to the lowest setting that would allow water to be pumped but it is still too much, but using the micro valve I have it to where it’s dripping instead if shooting a stream...so it’s ok for now.

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another issue.

The ATO will turn on and then turn on again a few mins later then another few mins. The tank water can't be evaporating that fast in a 74f house. I think the issue is in the return pump area the water is moving and it's triggering the sensor on the ATO. The pump is the stock mightyjet desktop and it's on the lowest setting so I don't know how I can stop it from triggering every few minutes??

I can get a better video tomorrow but you can see the return water rippling;

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another issue.

The ATO will turn on and then turn on again a few mins later then another few mins. The tank water can't be evaporating that fast in a 74f house. I think the issue is in the return pump area the water is moving and it's triggering the sensor on the ATO. The pump is the stock mightyjet desktop and it's on the lowest setting so I don't know how I can stop it from triggering every few minutes??

I can get a better video tomorrow but you can see the return water rippling;

You could increase the pump flow so it tops off to a good deal above the optical sensor (but not high enough to trigger the emergency float switch). This will increase the time before the water is low enough to trigger the optical sensor. Adding very small amounts of water at a time in a very small rear chamber with surface agitation is going to have the pump switching on and off frequently.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back