no water change

Rahulreece

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all im having a 60 liters nano cube tank with back side sump . since its been 6 month build ihad 2 clownfish in it. but ive done biweekly 20%water change ,someguys says me about no change is possible .there is an dilemma in this hobby for fish only tank no water change is possible and somepeople doing it. i need a clear information in this and guide me though this,
Inside my tank : 2 black oscellaris clownfish, sansiber rock , re-ocean argonite sand , boyu skimmer ,ceramic ring 1kg,ceramic rolls *3 ,12 bioballs ,return pump.

IMG-20220723-WA0017.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water changes are a tool to achieve a purpose, which is usually to export nutrients and replenish trace elements.

Some people run refugiums to export nutrients (as an example, there are other ways), and test regularly and dose to replenish trace elements. In this case, water changes are not required.

So if you want to drop water changes, you will need to solve the issue of exporting nutrients and replenishing trace elements.

However, people with larger tanks will want to avoid water changes, since it is more effort and more cost. Water changes are super easy and fast in a small tank like yours.

With such a small bio load of only 2 fishes in your 15 gallon tank, I think its safe for you to do bi-weekly water changes, which would cut your chores down by 50% already.

OP
OP
Rahulreece

Rahulreece

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water changes are a tool to achieve a purpose, which is usually to export nutrients and replenish trace elements.

Some people run refugiums to export nutrients (as an example, there are other ways), and test regularly and dose to replenish trace elements. In this case, water changes are not required.

So if you want to drop water changes, you will need to solve the issue of exporting nutrients and replenishing trace elements.

However, people with larger tanks will want to avoid water changes, since it is more effort and more cost. Water changes are super easy and fast in a small tank like yours.

With such a small bio load of only 2 fishes in your 15 gallon tank, I think its safe for you to do bi-weekly water changes, which would cut your chores down by 50% already.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are such things as hob refugiums, and possibly other ways, but I'm sorry I am not familiar with this.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine it being easier than a nano tank water change. Even a 50% water change you're talking a 5 gallon bucket equivalent. My advice is keep it simple. There are so many ways to export nutrients and I've found them all more work (my personal opinion and experience only) to setup or maintain than the water change itself which i don't mind for some reason...and I'm doing 100g water changes on heavily stocked FOWLRs.

Benjamin28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to implement refugium in nano tank
Yes it is, check out Tom reefer on YouTube. He has a water box 20gallon cube your from a couple years ago that has chaeto and a small grow light shoved in the back. I did the same thing in a Red Sea reefer 250. It really drew down the nutrients to where I had to feed lots because my fish load was to small and I bottomed out nitrates all the time. It made all my coral grow painfully slow. However, my story is a better no water change story than most because it did work. I have a small 20gallon I just started on the side and I am doing water changes because it’s easy. Like above. Many tools, do what makes you consultant. Last note, it will take time but you have to balance your fish load and your coral load. If you don’t have enough coral for the fish waste you will have trouble

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible in a tiny tank but not common You would need to test for more elements, including icp, dose everything from the salt back in, etc. whereas you could just do water changes which are magnitudes easier in a small tank compared to a larger tank where the no water change method is more common

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best part of having a small tank is the ease of water changes. I have a 10 gallon NPS tank that I feed really heavy. I do daily 5% water changes. The water change literally takes 2 minutes. And, it’s half a gallon of water. Easiest tank I’ve ever had.

Back