No white light

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read and practice myself, I run my white for about 5 hours and 35% at their peak in a 12 hour lighting cycle. Are you having problems with your whites?

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2247.PNG
This is what I'm running with the hydra 26 HDs.
Same percentages as my LFS who has incredible growth on sps and lps.

OP
OP
F

frenchie01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing's wrong with my whites I just like the tank really blue and wanted to know what's the lowest amount of light I can get away with.
I have 3 hydra 26, not hd, over 4ft long tank

NickNiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my settings for my Prime HD 7" above the water for my 12 gal Nano Cube (this is for acclimation since the fixture is new)

UV/violet/blue/RB are all 40%
R/G are 0% since they encourage algae growth
White is 15-20%...

I have 4 hour ramp times and 2 hours at max output... And after lights turn off I have 1% violet and 1%UV on for 2 hours until 10pm.

Eventually I want to get to
UV/V/B/RB at 100%
R/G 0%
W 40-50%

Also if you don't like the colors of white, set the schedule so that the max output is done by the time you get home from work (for example), that way you'll be able to enjoy a bluer tint.

OP
OP
F

frenchie01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you don't like the colors of white, set the schedule so that the max output is done by the time you get home from work (for example), that way you'll be able to enjoy a bluer tint.

I do this already, but sometimes I'm at home all day and just wanted to find out if anyone has had success running no/low whites

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't leave your colored LEDs in the dark. You will be surprised if you run it a little higher for an algae to thrive. Me?. I cranked it up to 85% for 4 hours

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Pacific Suns LED lighting without any white LEDs at all (it means without phosphorus covered LEDs)! Instead I use balanced blue-green-red in order to create (for my brain) a white light.

The reason for this is the fact that the phosphorus covered LED create much light in the wavelengths of 500 - 600. It’s the span our eyes (and brains) is adapted for and if we get to much of these wavelengths – we can´t see anything of the fluorescence of our corals. We need to shout down the whites and only run blue in order to see this. With excluding as much as possible of the wavelengths between 500 and 600 – and to use the RGB trick we can (our brains can!) see a white light and the very weak sources of corals fluorescence.

The wavelengths the corals need is between 400 – 500 and 620 – 660. There can be some advantage with pure green also – some LED around 520 – 530 – but not the intensive amount of wavelengths in the span of 500 – 600 that low Kelvin phosphorus LED produce. If wavelengths in far red (> 700 nm) have any importance (as in plants) is not known. I have seen one article of an algae living in the skeleton of corals that was specialized to use wavelengths around 720 nm.

After testing for a couple of years I have change my mind according if the red (620 – 660 nm) has any importance for the corals. My believing today is that it has – at least among the corals at depth between 0 – and 5 m and that other clades of zooxanthella still can have the genetic coding to be able to use this direct. I run my reds at 100 % today.

Sincerely Lasse

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for white lights. Go with whatever looks good to you.

Jason Fox uses "blue actinic" T5 and Reefbrite LED. I'm assuming he's referring to the Giesemann Actinic Blue bulb (ATI Blue+), but he didn't state that explicitly.

Somewhere in there he mentioned his LED tank only has red/green/white for a few hours at low %.

bk_market

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like the white light on my LED. I dont like the look of my whole tank all neon green and blue color. Also I think white light make show fish colors better.

lauderdalestunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has had some stock not move in years and his lights are always under blue lights. He's running basic black boxes. I have similar black boxes and run my whites at the lowest setting figuring the corals need it.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like the white light on my LED. I dont like the look of my whole tank all neon green and blue color. Also I think white light make show fish colors better.

You can have this without any white LEDs - just use the RGB trick. It means Red, Green and Blue. Look at the Pictures from my tank - no White LEDs there

Sincerely Lasse

bk_market

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have this without any white LEDs - just use the RGB trick. It means Red, Green and Blue. Look at the Pictures from my tank - no White LEDs there

Oh cool. I will definitely check it out.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back