No white light

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what is the trick? Just turn on RGB?

This is the matrix - as you can see - its a lot of blue and a 1 red, 3 orange and 1 green - the rest consist of different blue wavelengths

leds.jpg

Every matrix consist of 20 LED. My lamp has 6 of these matrix. Total 120 LED. Cyan 18 pcs, Amber 18 pcs, UV-A 18 pcs, Moon 6 pcs, Blue 1 18 pcs, Blue 2 18 pcs , blue 3 12 pcs, red 6 pcs and green 6 pcs. Cyan is something between blue and green but there is total 90 LED belonging to the blue wavelengths, 18 amber, 6 green and 6 red. This mix create the white looking of my aquarium.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

bk_market

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay i will try to adjust my led this afternoon to see if i can come up with something similar to yours Lasse

OP
OP
F

frenchie01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the Jason fox video, very interesting. He runs his hydras with 5% red, green and whites and max all the blues, but his lights are about 2ft above the water

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting!

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for white lights. Go with whatever looks good to you.

Jason Fox uses "blue actinic" T5 and Reefbrite LED. I'm assuming he's referring to the Giesemann Actinic Blue bulb (ATI Blue+), but he didn't state that explicitly.

Somewhere in there he mentioned his LED tank only has red/green/white for a few hours at low %.

Thank you for this, if theres one set up I wanna hear about its this one! Im giving the more actinic T5s a shot when I get off work.

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for white lights. Go with whatever looks good to you.

Jason Fox uses "blue actinic" T5 and Reefbrite LED. I'm assuming he's referring to the Giesemann Actinic Blue bulb (ATI Blue+), but he didn't state that explicitly.

Somewhere in there he mentioned his LED tank only has red/green/white for a few hours at low %.

Do you think Jason meant Blue+ or straight up actinic T5s?

Duraticate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I put my hydra 52 hd on my 60 3 months ago i started out at 0% red and greens with a 10% cw. My corals looked nice glowed all over the place. Since then i have raised my specs on my red green and cw. Not sure if it really helps but the corals look nice. I have always wondered about my lighting schedule. Everyone seems to run their lights in different times.

Screenshot_2017-08-06-18-00-15.png

PopaSmurph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have this without any white LEDs - just use the RGB trick. It means Red, Green and Blue. Look at the Pictures from my tank - no White LEDs there

Sincerely Lasse
When you put RBG all next to each other they look white. And is white really white or is its a percentage of RBGY in their own spectrums....

PopaSmurph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run blue+ and purple+ t5 and those look pretty white for the day time untill my actinic and blue pops kick on. So i dont run any white bulbs but i get a white look from the spectrum i produce. So you dont need any white leds those are just wasted spots. the matrix has alot going for if your into leds.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your brain is tricked. White light - per definition – contains a mix of all the wavelengths of the visible spectrum at equal intensity.

But in some way the eyes reception molecules translate monochrome red, blue and green wavelengths mixed together as white light and your brain report to you – this is white

Sincerely Lasse

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think Jason meant Blue+ or straight up actinic T5s?
When I first heard his presentation I took it to mean true actinic, but that's because I was only thinking of ATI bulbs. Later after thinking about it and re-watching the segment I believe he means Giesemann Actinic Blue (or ATI Blue Plus).

burtbollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running a Nanobox Duo 5" over an LPS dominant tank (Red Sea Reefer 170)...Acans and chalices....some Montipora and Stylos at the very top.

I run 80% blues, 25% white....whites run that high for 5 hours then drop to 9%.

I also have the tank under skylight and they get direct sun for @ 1.5 hours prior to whites coming on.

I still think my whites might be too high. (im running whites at 23% currently to make sure im not harming some new chalices from WWC) As for running whites this low... My only fear is hurting my SPS...but frankly, they were cheap frags and are just tank-toppers...my real concern are my LPS.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyan, turquoise and teal colored LED creates a nice (almost like) MH looking white light when combined with other color.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back