No white light

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a blue LED covered with a phosphorous layer. This Picture show a typical spectra for a low Kelvin White LED
upload_2017-8-9_10-35-29-jpeg.560441

My max settings is 80 % of amber, cyan and 100 % of the other in this matrix

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/no-white-light.318714/page-2#post-3944212

Sincerely Lasse

i have cheap fluval marine and sea on my 29 gal standard. this thread had me thinking that while it has blue and red leds, it's dominated by white leds and if i am going to continue to add sps and other light deamnding corals into my mixed reef, perhaps i should rethink my lighting.
i have two sets of light with significant overlapping with each pumping out the following PAR according to fluval

376 @ depth of 3″ (76 mm)
222 @ depth of 6″ (15 cm)
90 @ depth of 12″ (30.5 cm)
47 @ depth of 18″ (46 cm)

here is their blended wavelength
full_spectrum.png

even though it's white led dominated, to me, the blended wavelength appears to have mitigated the imbalance of typical white LEDs, but i wold be very interested in opinions of more experienced people - would you consider these sufficient for more demanding corals? Assuming good water chemistry, would these encourage good growth and color?

edit note: the coral and fish are not mine, they are part fluval's posted picture of the wavelength so they made the trip to this post.

Last edited:

Jerry greux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried running 5 flood lamps at 30k. Took out the whites and the large devils hand and star polyps did not open well. I added a little white and everything just opened up?

RDT_20190401_232655134238467.jpg

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many of my best looking corals might as well be thrown in a dumpster for all blue lighting. I mean, yea... if you want to stock a tank purely around royal blue fluorescence go for it. Some of the best stuff (at leas with acros) is only appreciated with some white light.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - Since nearly a year ago - I have change to mitras LED bar 2 and hav white phosphorus LED in my setup Mostly 8000 K but also some 6500 and 4500. Mitras LED Bar 2 also have true RGB LEDs - so I can create a white hue even when I do not run the phosphorous coated white LEDs. The RGB give me good good reflecting colours too - my pyjamas still look very good.

Sincerely Lasse

reyesozaeta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your corals survived/flourish under just the RGB lighting?. I can control my individuals colors but to be able to come up with a “whitish hue” the mixture is 100%royal blue, 100%blue(cyan), 100%UV 50%green and 25%red. The cool white and warm white are completely off. I’m using the dynamic Focustronic Focus 1 lighting
It’s mounted 10 inches above the water surface and tank is 24” deep.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they was going good below my Pacific Sun fixture. I love that light. But it was bought used and it was singing its last song. I love the light but not the interface and the quality of the fixture. A fan was stopped and a module was broken. I decided to go the fan less path with the next fixture - but I want the RGB option. The only one that meet my whises was Mitras LED bar 2 and I run Profilux before - hence the choise was easy.

Sincerely Lasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back