NO3 Vs Acropora

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently somebody told me that Shane @ SBB Corals was keeping his NO3 at 175ppm. :) I thought surely they got some wrong information! Nitrate levels that high probably wouldn’t be too healthy for fish.

Anyway, this kinda got me thinking where most reefers keep their nitrates at for Acropora. Yes, I’ve asked about a million people in the last 5 years, but the nutrient topic never gets old for me. I’ve seen it make and break so many systems it seems to always keep me interested. There’s many people here who grow coral for a living. We have a lot of farmers, hardcore hobbyists with massive collections like Graham, Therman, Thomas, etc… and just people like myself that enjoy the challenge of sticks. I love keeping such beautifully colored animals.

So…let’s get into it. Where do you prefer your NO3? For me Phosphate is a much more important topic, but it seems that NO3 is rarely talked about anymore which is why it would be nice to have a discussion.

In the last 5-10 years we’ve learned so much more about nitrate. When I first started dosing it, I was using the good ol’ “Stump Remover” from Lowe’s and Home Depot. Super pure right! Lol.

The first time I realized how important nitrate was I was having a huge Cyano bloom. NO3 was testing a zero. I had an anemone in the system that was completely deflated on his death bed. I mixed up some Stump Remover and dosed 2ppm into the system. The sick anemone instantly inflated like a balloon and got sucked into a wave-maker. Lightbulb moment. :) A week or so later the huge Cyano bloom started fading away. It was then that I realized just how important nitrate was and how many of these animals probably needed it to thrive.

Currently, I try to keep my NO3 around 10-20ppm, but I’m ok if it’s in the range of 3-20ppm and try to keep it in ratio with my PO4 level. I used to keep it more on the lower end, but I’ve had a few instances where rapid growth was occurring and both N&P took a dive to depletion. Depending on what’s being fed, bioload, biomass, export methods, system age, etc…this can sometimes be a major problem for one system, but maybe not so much for another. So it seems that everybody has different opinions on nutrients which is great. I do believe that a lot of older systems can easily survive on residuals. Is it better to keep these lower levels? Maybe, but I don’t keep mine that low. I seem to have a little better growth and color with higher nutrients (within reason).

Anyway, I like keeping the NO3 a little higher, but I also try to keep a 50-100:1 ratio with PO4. I’ve keep a straight 100:1 almost dead on for months, but also moved down to a 50:1 for several weeks. Either ratio seems to do well, but I feel like the 100:1 is safer for me. I have noticed a number of benefits from staying at or near these ratios. I won’t go into all the juicy details, but I’ve got a ton of documented data, and have noticed several benefits. The tank definitely does better for me personally, but if you look at guys like Glenn Fong… he does extremely well on the lower end, but is also carbon dosing the system which changes the whole dynamic.

When I’ve let my NO3 get to around 30, 40, etc….I’ve started to notice thicker tissue and slightly darker colors. Obviously, colors changing will be different in every system depending on what’s going on, but here’s just too many variables.

Anyway, I don’t really see a huge benefit (personally) running down lower at 3ppm or up higher at 20ppm. Or at least I can’t really appreciate any difference other than I’m “safer” near the higher end especially if I’m not testing as frequently. I try to keep it from bottoming out, and having a buffer zone is a good way to prevent that.

So yeah…I’d love to hear your experiences and where you keep your levels. It would be nice to have a discussion about the effects of nitrate with certain Acropora. If you have any stories you’d like to share please do. If you have observed anything interesting at different NO3 levels that I may be missing out on…please share! Or maybe which Acro’s like or dislike certain levels more than others. I’m always willing and ready to learn something new.

Cheers! :)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is everyone hung up on NO3?
My system is cronicly low. Meaning 1ppm or lower.
I feed my fish, they feed ammonia to my coral. I will admit that I was dosing calcium nitrate for a long while up until recently. I didn't notice any change at all in coral one way or another. Coral has to expend energy to convert the NO3 back to ammonium, something they can use.
Worry more about PO4 than about NO3.

My .02¢

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish, they feed ammonia to my coral. I will admit that I was dosing calcium nitrate for a long while up until recently. I didn't notice any change at all in coral one way or another. Coral has to expend energy to convert the NO3 back to ammonium, something they can use.

My .02¢

I agree PO4 is more important. :) Thx for your input.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My .02¢
I would love to see some pics of your acros?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see some pics of your acros?
I just turned off my flow adjusted my lights for a little more white and did them on the Fly. Here you go.

20230320_161736.jpg 20230320_162502.jpg 20230320_162329.jpg 20230320_162137.jpg 20230320_162107.jpg 20230320_161943.jpg 20230320_161924.jpg 20230320_161904.jpg 20230320_161847.jpg 20230320_161814.jpg 20230320_161756.jpg 20230320_161742.jpg

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think the hobby in general gets too hung up on one parameter or another. It's really about the total system and how each parameter affects another.

NO3, I keep it from 12 to 15 or so. I mainly do so for the Acros and to keep any Dinoflagelates away. You said SBB corals keeps it at 175? I don't see how that's possible without dosing a ton and having little to no filtration. That has to be a miscommunication.

PO4, ranges from 0.03 to 0.12. All I notice is a bit more algae growth on the back glass.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the tank through a tough first year. Had a bad case of Dino’s despite dosing nutrients from 2nd month in. Took me about 10 months to get the biome strong enough to outcompete the Dino’s. Then I had some Bryopsis start spreading around the tank that came in on 10 lbs of KP LR I added. Nuked that with Fluconazole and almost nuked all the Acro’s with it. :) Had to terminate the treatment on day 9. Thankfully it did take out all the Bryopsis. Now We’re about 14 months with virtually no pests and the tank is doing fairly well. Just PAR tested the tank a few weeks ago and the numbers look fairly decent. I may add a few Orphek bars and call it done. 2023 should be a much better year.

Here’s the PAR map.
8450F5EF-DB46-4751-8361-BCEF01FAF334.jpeg

Here’s a Strawberry Shortcake. At time of pic PO4 was around 0.135 and NO3 was around 10. Too me it looks a little pale. I had a few elements that were simi low at the time (had a growth spurt) so that was most likely the cause. I hate to blame it on nutrients alone. Chromium, Cobalt, Iron, Manganese, Copper, and Selenium were low. Not depleted, but out of target range at that time. I’ve since doubled the doses on those elements and have already appreciated some better color.

4741A025-E315-4250-8A9B-792E3431DA51.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a euphyllia on the bottom center? If so that high of par doesn't bother it?

Yes and it doesn’t like the PAR or the flow. Especially the flow, but it’s kinda hanging in there. Definitely not ideal. Would much rather have it sitting in 150 with much lower flow. I need the tank to grow out a bit so it can get more shade and less flow.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to move mine and a aleveopora to the side of my tank to get them out of the light and flow.

Attachments

• IMG_20230320_151830737.jpg
    IMG_20230320_151830737.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20230320_151825433.jpg
    IMG_20230320_151825433.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 53

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back