NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what rock are you using now?
random dry rock i found on the beach and dead encrusted oysters and seashells. i want salty bottom or if i can obtain it, jakarta rock. my clarkii says hi

Attachments

• Photo on 8-12-21 at 12.34 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-12-21 at 12.34 AM #2.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo on 8-12-21 at 12.34 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-12-21 at 12.34 AM.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hate how the camera makes it look super actinic when its not. it looks like very light blue/crisp white. the 2nd pic has my boring sponge.

Attachments

• Photo on 8-12-21 at 12.33 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-12-21 at 12.33 AM #2.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Photo on 8-12-21 at 12.33 AM #4.jpg
    Photo on 8-12-21 at 12.33 AM #4.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i decided that if my gsp or para dies (Idk rn but alot of my ailing para polyps are dissolving when i try to clean them while my good ones arent. idk abt my gsp. im trying as much flow as possible and some shade. light is def not an issue. could i dip my corals in h2o2 every single day to fight the briopsis. i am going to just get sponges and bivalves and featherdusters and macros and mabye crinoid and mabye corals that are hyper resistant to algae and anenomes mabye with live rock from the gulf. my sponge and my mussels in the tank are reproducing and larvae are surviving i think. theres some under my coral rocks and some developing on the rockwork. my starfish is also super healthy along with my fish. i want kinda just a fowlr thats super encrusted and has motile inverts because corals are kinda a pain and i dont wanna spend money on more for that tank. my goal for my 75 (my mom said yes to letting me do it >:D) and i want hardy sps to be dominant and then some lps and soft corals. and i want to make a real reef tank. i am just gonna call my tank a marine aquarium now.

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
uh thats incredibly illegal
It is. Most rock on a beach is going to be covered with water at some point, there by making it live rock and illegal to harvest. My cousin works for FWC, so I asked him plenty about this subject lol. I always wanted to bring stuff like that home when I was younger, but as i got older, I realized it was just better in the long run to leave it where it was. Noah, I thought I saw in another threads that other people told you not to get rock from beaches like that? Tank’s coming along nicely though!

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use reefflux for bryopsis or raise mag to about 1700. You have a very young tank with a lot of decently sized fish. I’d slow down. If gsp isn’t doing ok something is very off in the tank. Could be lights, parameters, flow or a combination. Diagnosing the issue is the first part. Get some decent kits for alk, mag and calcium. Are you using rodi?
Ppl want you to succeed on here so take what they say and apply it.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use reefflux for bryopsis or raise mag to about 1700. You have a very young tank with a lot of decently sized fish. I’d slow down. If gsp isn’t doing ok something is very off in the tank. Could be lights, parameters, flow or a combination. Diagnosing the issue is the first part. Get some decent kits for alk, mag and calcium. Are you using rodi?
Ppl want you to succeed on here so take what they say and apply it.
i am using rodi

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. Most rock on a beach is going to be covered with water at some point, there by making it live rock and illegal to harvest. My cousin works for FWC, so I asked him plenty about this subject lol. I always wanted to bring stuff like that home when I was younger, but as i got older, I realized it was just better in the long run to leave it where it was. Noah, I thought I saw in another threads that other people told you not to get rock from beaches like that? Tank’s coming along nicely though!
its not rocks tho. its random stones that looked just like dryrock far up on the beach and then the stuf from the water was oysters which are legal

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The current ordinance prohibits the removal of sand, fossils, rocks, stones, minerals, plants, animals and artifacts from county parks, beaches and other public lands."

"In places like Florida, it's illegal to collect rock entirely. Other locations might be polluted enough that I'd personally never consider putting them in the tank..." - @
S-t-r-e-t-c-h

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not rocks tho. its random stones that looked just like dryrock far up on the beach and then the stuf from the water was oysters which are legal
Stone - hard solid nonmetallic mineral matter of which rock is made, especially as a building material.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The current ordinance prohibits the removal of sand, fossils, rocks, stones, minerals, plants, animals and artifacts from county parks, beaches and other public lands."

"In places like Florida, it's illegal to collect rock entirely. Other locations might be polluted enough that I'd personally never consider putting them in the tank..." - @
S-t-r-e-t-c-h
so i cant pick up a rock in the woods:/

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back