Noisy drain

luapinicap

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2022
Messages
22
Reaction score
3
Location
whatcom
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

I was hoping someone could answer this question. I recently plumbed my first tank and did a leak test yesterday. I have a bean animal style drain in my overflow box. On my full syphon line I have a gate valve. This is a innovative marine ext that came with 1 in drain bulk heads. I kept 1 inch pipe all the way to my filter roller.

my issue is that my full syphon line is noisy. The only thing I can think of is that I’m closing the gate valve to alter the water height, and I don’t have one inch of water going through the pipe causing it to be noisy. Is that a thing? I didn’t think a gate valve would affect the noise in the pipe. Is there anything else I am missing that could cause this?

any help would be appreciated, I really would like a silent tank.
 
Where is the noise coming from? A full siphon should be silent. Is the discharge submerged about an inch?
 
Where is the noise coming from? A full siphon should be silent. Is the discharge submerged about an inch?
Yea that’s what I thought. Yea I have ran it with the discharge submerged way beyond am inch. There’s also air bubbles coming out which I don’t know why I am getting those either
 
Yea that’s what I thought. Yea I have ran it with the discharge submerged way beyond am inch. There’s also air bubbles coming out which I don’t know why I am getting those either

Is it sucking air from the overflow? With the discharge submersed more then an inch it can be difficult for the air to get purged out.
 
Try sticking a piece of air tube into the downflow pipe. I'm no overflow expert by any stretch of the imagination but I did that on my overflows and it helped. I had to experiment with how far down to insert it then secure it some how but it helped reduce the noise.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new