Noisy drain

luapinicap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

I was hoping someone could answer this question. I recently plumbed my first tank and did a leak test yesterday. I have a bean animal style drain in my overflow box. On my full syphon line I have a gate valve. This is a innovative marine ext that came with 1 in drain bulk heads. I kept 1 inch pipe all the way to my filter roller.

my issue is that my full syphon line is noisy. The only thing I can think of is that I’m closing the gate valve to alter the water height, and I don’t have one inch of water going through the pipe causing it to be noisy. Is that a thing? I didn’t think a gate valve would affect the noise in the pipe. Is there anything else I am missing that could cause this?

any help would be appreciated, I really would like a silent tank.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the noise coming from? A full siphon should be silent. Is the discharge submerged about an inch?

OP
OP
L

luapinicap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the noise coming from? A full siphon should be silent. Is the discharge submerged about an inch?
Yea that’s what I thought. Yea I have ran it with the discharge submerged way beyond am inch. There’s also air bubbles coming out which I don’t know why I am getting those either

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s what I thought. Yea I have ran it with the discharge submerged way beyond am inch. There’s also air bubbles coming out which I don’t know why I am getting those either

Is it sucking air from the overflow? With the discharge submersed more then an inch it can be difficult for the air to get purged out.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try sticking a piece of air tube into the downflow pipe. I'm no overflow expert by any stretch of the imagination but I did that on my overflows and it helped. I had to experiment with how far down to insert it then secure it some how but it helped reduce the noise.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back