Noisy Waterbox

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my Waterbox 180.5 setup for almost 4 months. The weir where the water drains back to the sump is very noisy. I have the water level just below the emergency overflow, but the water drops down to far in my opinion, which make all the noise. Almost like the emergency drain is too low. Does anyone else have a similar issue?

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of their Frag series and I find I need to really fine-tune the valve to get it quiet. But I totally know what you mean. When tuning it, it seems the change in water level happens very quickly. My husband will be in the sump tuning and I will be up top watching the flow. It will get quiet. :)

OP
OP
B

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's driving me nuts, LOL. I was able to get my Red Sea Reefer dead silent, but not this guy.

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag 80 and its really fine tuning and I can get mine silent. What size return pump are you running? Maybe to much

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of their peninsula’s. I must say it has been easier to adjust then my previous RS 250. I can get the WB dead silent but just like you said... if it goes below the emergency drain it sounds like a water fall in the overflow. I can not keep mine silent either because of my random high flow patterns and the waves they make on the surface of the water. So I gave up. It’s not loud all the time but at certain times of the day there is a little noise with water crashing into the overflow. I know this isn’t a whole lot of help for you but I do experience the same issue you do. However I definitely love this tank over the Red Sea.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the frag tank and its dead silent if you have the water level right under the emergency overflow. Dont turn the knob much, just barely move it and wait 5 minutes for it to settle before making another adjustment.

Be sure there are no obstruction around overflow and clean the holes to ensure its unobstructed. Also are you sure noise isnt coming from sump return water? You could be pushing too much water.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Took me a couple weeks to find the sweet spot for my 220.6. It's now pretty much dead silent (has been for weeks). Very very fine adjustments needed over time. You'll get there.
Cor20, (2) MP40's

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if my chiming in on this will be of any help but here goes. I had the same problem when I was building my overflow. the splash and gurgle was mind numbing. I added a floor drain to the top of my stand pipe and cut slots around the top so the water could enter and stay on the tube. worked for me anyway.

Bigdan1175

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you do. Don’t call or email waterbox for help. I made that mistake and they made me feel like I was stupid. They have a great product. Horrible customer service

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you do. Don’t call or email waterbox for help. I made that mistake and they made me feel like I was stupid. They have a great product. Horrible customer service
What could they say to you to make feel that way. I've spoken with read articles and papers by so many people with so many conflicting ideas and strategies and most have had success in one way or another. So stupid I don't get. How could a company that sells a luxury item afford to make you feel any way but happy?

Bigdan1175

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could they say to you to make feel that way. I've spoken with read articles and papers by so many people with so many conflicting ideas and strategies and most have had success in one way or another. So stupid I don't get. How could a company that sells a luxury item afford to make you feel any way but happy?
The replied saying We have went over this Let’s do it one more time Come to find out my plumbing is completely different than what they were giving info on We went back and forth after that. I’m hoping I run into the person I was talking to at a showone day

OP
OP
B

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I continue to make small adjustments, but it never gets any quieter.

OP
OP
B

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks just like this

Screenshot_20200407-174641.png

michael giordano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a water box as well. Mine has been running for two years and the valve loosens overtime. At first it would stay quiet for months with no issues, and now once or twice a week I am trying to fine tune it to block the noise. I believe the valve eventually degrades and just need to be replaced. Something water box needs to address or offer as a cheap replacement for customers, just my opinion.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back