Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know but if they state that there is a
with 10-year mold-free product protection
it must be some.

From their own Product data Sheet - my bold

Silicone II* Window & Door is not recommended:
• For structural repairs.
• For use underwater or in other applications where the product will be in continuous contact with water.
• For use in food contact applications.
• When painting of the cured sealant is desired.
For use on aquariums.
• For use on surfaces with special coatings, such as mirrors, without approval of the manufacturer of the article.

How is this 100% Silicone and contain mold inhibitors?

I do not know - ask the manufacter - this is what they say it contains in the SDS Scroll down and try to get it together if you can.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I post this:

Uncleof6

For the record: All silicones are reef safe-once they are fully cured. The enemy is uncured silicone, not some mythical ingredient for controlling mildew.

That said, GE Silicone I is cheap junk. It is the aboslute barrel bottom of all materials (and many silicones are right there with it.) For our projects we really should move up to a higher quality product. Dow Corning makes several that blow GE Silicone away, but are not as hefty as the RTV100 series or SCS1200, however for small projects they are fine. DC 735, DC 999A to name two.

The MSDS for Silicone II does not indicate that there are any additions other than siloxanes, of which there are literally hundreds, (polymers) common to all silicones, without getting to complicated about it, The MSDS also does not indicate any proprietary additives either. Where such is present, the law requires that they be included in the MSDS. This raises serious questions as to the validity of the advertising.

What differentiates Silicone II from Silicone I is the latter is an acetoxy cure silicone, and the former is a neutral cure silicone.

Silicone II does not take longer to cure; published cure times are about the same. However the cure times pertain to a specific amount of silicone, usually given in a bead size, generally 1/8" or 1/4". Hardly have I ever seen an aquarium application use that little. As the amount increases the cure time increases, a week, two weeks...RTV100 series' 7 day full cure time is for a 1/4" bead!

I would say that neutral cure silicone is a bit more toxic in its "uncured" state than acetoxy cure silicone, but that is as far as it goes. It is better to malign a product for what it does not do well, rather than internet rumor.

Acetoxy cure silicone excels at bonding to glass and ceramics; acetic acid is corrosive, so it is not suited for metals, and it does not bond well to other materials (acrylic included.) Neutral cure excels at bonding metals (non-corrosive) and other materials (acrylic not included.)

Co-polymers, are another category (not 100% silicone) and are out of the scope of this thread.

Within the two general categories, there are several sub-categories: sealant, adhesive, high temperature, etc. Obviously we are only concerned with sealants and adhesives. the choice of which to use, really takes little thought. Sealants seal, adhsives hold stuff together.

GE Silicone I (Momentive) is, easy to work with, but is a bargain basement low end sealant. RTV100 series (Momentive) or SCS1200 (Momentive) are high end adhesives, not so easy to work with. In between there is a plethora of formulations, that will drive the most studious nuts ( I am a prime example.)

A short list has been publised at least a 100 times here on RC, not that they are the only choices, but everytime some off the wall silicone is asked about, or mentioned, it just adds to the confusion (and rumors.) In similar fashion "what is safe and unsafe" has been published at least the same number of times, over the past several years, here on RC.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know but if they state that there is a it must be some.

From their own Product data Sheet - my bold

I do not know - ask the manufacter - this is what they say it contains in the SDS Scroll down and try to get it together if you can.

Sincerely Lasse
This is exactly y I was always told never used GE2, GE1 is fine aslong as it cures completely first. Ge2 is made for bathrooms and kitchens, under cabinets and window sills. It has a chemical in it so they dont discolor and turn black from mold over time in higher moisture areas.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have helped many persons here in Sweden after they have used Silicone containing anti mold components. Every time - the mistake have shown up as a total death of the whole aquarium. i do not know which anti mold formula GE2 use - but it is enough for me to not use it (or recommend it) only based on the fact that it contain a anti mold agent. In this case - the producer by it self also stress that it is not recommended to use it for.
• For use underwater or in other applications where the product will be in continuous contact with water.
• For use in food contact applications.
• When painting of the cured sealant is desired.
• For use on aquariums.

Sincerely Lasse

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course GE doesn't recommend those products for aquariums. That isn't their intended purpose. For one, it isn't very strong.

It is suitable for baffles in sumps. For anyone that had problems attributed to GE silicone, my question would be "how long did you let it cure?"

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is suitable for baffles
Is not the silicon strings of the baffles in continuous contact with the water? Why do they rise " For use in food contact applications " as an indication not to use just this type of silicon? the GE1 without anti mold agents seems to work - but not the GE2 as I understand

With other brands of "construction" silicone containing anti mold agents - the cure time have been (in the examples I have seen) between 1 to 30 days - all with the same result. The anti mold agent kill aquatic life.

The question here is not which type of silicone it is - the question is if it contain a anti mold agent or not.

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially, I had the ingenious idea of adding a separate sump/fuge to my existing AIO. I've used GE1 silicone before with no issues. In my haste, I grabbed GE2 silicone and did my baffles with that (didn't realize until I asked the question in this forum). Woke up the next day to some hurting corals and dead fish (RIP to the best two clowns that ever clowned). Switched all of my livestock to my brother's reef tank where I'm praying most, if not all, recover and heal.

Now I'm facing an empty tank, and I'm wondering if running a lot of carbon in a media reactor, along with some big water changes and skimming would remove the fungicide from my system over the course of a week or so. Anyone have any expertise to chime in with?

The alternative would be to drain the system and cycle all over again, etc.
Also need to let it dry few days for 100% silicone. Even if instructions only say 24 hrs.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is not the silicon strings of the baffles in continuous contact with the water? Why do they rise " For use in food contact applications " as an indication not to use just this type of silicon? the GE1 without anti mold agents seems to work - but not the GE2 as I understand

With other brands of "construction" silicone containing anti mold agents - the cure time have been (in the examples I have seen) between 1 to 30 days - all with the same result. The anti mold agent kill aquatic life.

The question here is not which type of silicone it is - the question is if it contain a anti mold agent or not.

Sincerely Lasse

To silicone or not to silicone, that is the question. Hahaha

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What anti mold agent, beyond silicones and the chemicals they release while curing, is present in GE1 or GE2?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not know that but if you have use silicone with anti-fungal and silicone without in a bathroom you have seen the difference. Which type is probably a secret and because is a low % of the chemicals/compounds used in the products - it does not need to be in the MSDS.

However - the word molds (mould) could have different meanings - I´ll change to the word anti-fungal instead.

Sincerely Lasse

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I post this:

Uncleof6

For the record: All silicones are reef safe-once they are fully cured. The enemy is uncured silicone, not some mythical ingredient for controlling mildew.

That said, GE Silicone I is cheap junk. It is the aboslute barrel bottom of all materials (and many silicones are right there with it.) For our projects we really should move up to a higher quality product. Dow Corning makes several that blow GE Silicone away, but are not as hefty as the RTV100 series or SCS1200, however for small projects they are fine. DC 735, DC 999A to name two.

The MSDS for Silicone II does not indicate that there are any additions other than siloxanes, of which there are literally hundreds, (polymers) common to all silicones, without getting to complicated about it, The MSDS also does not indicate any proprietary additives either. Where such is present, the law requires that they be included in the MSDS. This raises serious questions as to the validity of the advertising.

What differentiates Silicone II from Silicone I is the latter is an acetoxy cure silicone, and the former is a neutral cure silicone.

Silicone II does not take longer to cure; published cure times are about the same. However the cure times pertain to a specific amount of silicone, usually given in a bead size, generally 1/8" or 1/4". Hardly have I ever seen an aquarium application use that little. As the amount increases the cure time increases, a week, two weeks...RTV100 series' 7 day full cure time is for a 1/4" bead!

I would say that neutral cure silicone is a bit more toxic in its "uncured" state than acetoxy cure silicone, but that is as far as it goes. It is better to malign a product for what it does not do well, rather than internet rumor.

Acetoxy cure silicone excels at bonding to glass and ceramics; acetic acid is corrosive, so it is not suited for metals, and it does not bond well to other materials (acrylic included.) Neutral cure excels at bonding metals (non-corrosive) and other materials (acrylic not included.)

Co-polymers, are another category (not 100% silicone) and are out of the scope of this thread.

Within the two general categories, there are several sub-categories: sealant, adhesive, high temperature, etc. Obviously we are only concerned with sealants and adhesives. the choice of which to use, really takes little thought. Sealants seal, adhsives hold stuff together.

GE Silicone I (Momentive) is, easy to work with, but is a bargain basement low end sealant. RTV100 series (Momentive) or SCS1200 (Momentive) are high end adhesives, not so easy to work with. In between there is a plethora of formulations, that will drive the most studious nuts ( I am a prime example.)

A short list has been publised at least a 100 times here on RC, not that they are the only choices, but everytime some off the wall silicone is asked about, or mentioned, it just adds to the confusion (and rumors.) In similar fashion "what is safe and unsafe" has been published at least the same number of times, over the past several years, here on RC.
I just clicked on the sds for two diffefent resellers of GE silicone 2 and both come up showing tin compounds in them. The ads that pulled up said ge5000 and ge5040. Only two I looked at, and both showed tin.

Here’s one:

Tin, dibutylbis(2,4-pentanedionato-.kappa.O2,.kappa.O4)-, (OC-6-11)-
0.1 - 1

Nperry86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I would definitely remove the silicone and and use the ge1 who knows how long the other will leach out. Good luck.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this worked out and I am edified as I will eventually get around to working on my sump and siliconing in some stuff. Also, +1 for reefing lawyers! Gotta have outlets in this nutty profession!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just clicked on the sds for two diffefent resellers of GE silicone 2 and both come up showing tin compounds in them. The ads that pulled up said ge5000 and ge5040. Only two I looked at, and both showed tin.

Here’s one:

0.1 - 1

Well that’s not good. I wonder if they changed it recently?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s one:

0.1 - 1

Can you post a link Randy.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy, what form of tin is toxic? I believe it would only be toxic if uncured, or the silicone is degrading? I know from working in the hospital that a lot of silicone breast implants are made with tin. Knowing that tin is also toxic to humans, surely these companies would avoid making silicone implants if they were concerned with degradation.

The tin number on the MSDS is very low correct? A lot of people have tin in their reefs according to Triton results. At what level should reefers become concernd? I need to email GE to find out more.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back