Noo-Psyche K7 Pro V3 - Wrong Power Supply?

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a replacement power supply with the brass version was offered here.
But what power supply will future orders or recently purchased units come with this could end up being a huge issue

frydaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been debating the last couple of weeks on replacing some old AI’s with either Noopsyche, new AI Hrydras, or Reef Factory Reef Flares. I was going to pull the trigger on the Noopsyches, but after seeing this post, going to cross them off the list.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have always backed and supported @noopsyche this has become a serious problem. It is hard to support and push a product that cant give straight answers about why things have changed. In the beginning this product was amazing and had lots of information and help. This will be the turning point on where things go from here.
I've been recommending them as a budget alternative to anyone looking for lights. I will no longer be recommending them after reading this thread. Even if the supply puts put 140 watts it's labeled as a 126 watt supply and Noopsyche has failed to even explain why it is labeled as such unless I missed it. I gives me serous doubt as to the validity of the safely labeling on the supply. But I guess those of us looking for budget Chinese lighting should expect some disappontments. Too bad but it reminds me of the statement. Ya get what Ya pay for.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all a bit interesting to say the least. I'm curious what Zach has to say once he logs back in, it looks like he hasn't logged on since before this thread was created.

I'm also wondering if anyone has seen any reports or posts anywhere about their brass power supplies failing on them. If mislabeled units are being provided whether because they were modified or misprinted, this seems more like a cost saving measure as opposed to an improved product. Moving from metal to plastic also seems like a cost savings move.

A mislabeled power supply that is drawing more volts than listed seems potentially dangerous or at the very least, a liability.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat as others. I have been blown away with these lights. Have recommended them countless times and have been so pleased with them. I have three over a 4 foot tank each with the brass power supply. Was super impressed with the quality of the power supply. Unless they go back to a substantially capable power supply I would hesitate and to order another one and can’t in good conscience recommend them anymore.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching this thread from its inception. I think the recent responses are the reason why most companies gravitate towards other venues that allow them to moderate posts.

Empty threats that are designed to display a level of disgust to force companies to make change, don't work as well as people might think. You may influence the handful of people reading this thread to a degree, but you're less likely to get anywhere with the manufacturer.

Wouldn't a healthy conversation be respectful to all parties?

Noopsyche offered an explanation which many people started speculating as to be a fabrication of the truth. I'm not saying you shouldn't push back and ask more clarifying questions. But you shouldn't be willing to go from 10 to 100 after a few days of no further explanation. Plus the empty threats are fairly transparent for anyone reading them, and they don't have the weight most people think they do.

I liken this to the early days of the radion, the 1st few generations had power supplies that were encased in aluminum. It looked unique for the device, but when you dissected it, it was simply a generic psu sold in bulk and just needed an enclosure.

They've since abandoned that unique design and adopted meanwell power supplies. Which, hands down was a major upgrade.

I'll admit, I don't know whether these guys are blowing smoke or not, or if the representative for noopshyche doesn't have the full story and is relaying information as he gets it. But I think there should be a degree of trust that this might be a step in the right direction.

Although, I'd definitely like to know how a power supply with supposedly higher wattage made its way into a case with the wrong markings. But I doubt "we" will get that answer, as it will probably remain internal.

frydaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any “empty threats” in this thread. I see legitimate questions that haven’t been answered well. Could be from a lack of info given to the person responding for Noopsyche, could be a lack understanding, or potentially a language barrier. As a potential customer with no brand loyalty to Noopsyche, the answers given raised enough red flags for me that i’m no longer willing to gamble on purchasing them and will stick with brands I do trust.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don’t see any “empty threats” in this thread.

the answers given raised enough red flags for me that i’m no longer willing to gamble on purchasing them and will stick with brands I do trust.
Fair enough, but you basing this on speculation. No one has reported these power supplies to be faulty. And as of right now, the best conclusion is that they've mislabeled the power supply. It's your prerogative to interpret it any way you want.

To say that this is the straw that broke the camel's back is perfectly fine, but to most readers the intent is an attempt to put noopshyche in the hot seat and say if they don't provide better answers, we're no longer going to recommend or purchase your product. To which I say, is a bit over the top and unnecessary. In fact, it will have the opposite effect. They won't want to answer or clarify any more information because of how it will be dissected and used against them.

The best approach here is to have a civilized conversation without ultimatums and view this as a discussion to get to the bottom of it.

When people object to the answers given in such a way, it derails the conversation that many in this thread are trying to have with the manufacturer. You and I are outside observers with no skin in the game. But people with these power supplies need to have a better assurances that they can use them without the risk of danger. All I'm saying is that threatening them only makes it harder to get answers.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, but you basing this on speculation. No one has reported these power supplies to be faulty. And as of right now, the best conclusion is that they've mislabeled the power supply. It's your prerogative to interpret it any way you want.

To say that this is the straw that broke the camel's back is perfectly fine, but to most readers the intent is an attempt to put noopshyche in the hot seat and say if they don't provide better answers, we're no longer going to recommend or purchase your product. To which I say, is a bit over the top and unnecessary. In fact, it will have the opposite effect. They won't want to answer or clarify any more information because of how it will be dissected and used against them.

The best approach here is to have a civilized conversation without ultimatums and view this as a discussion to get to the bottom of it.

When people object to the answers given in such a way, it derails the conversation that many in this thread are trying to have with the manufacturer. You and I are outside observers with no skin in the game. But people with these power supplies need to have a better assurances that they can use them without the risk of danger. All I'm saying is that threatening them only make
Oh geez, where to even start.

Labeling an electrical supply with incorrect wattage amounts can't possibly be legal or up to code. This is a potential fire hazard.

Let that sink in. Potential. Fire. Hazard.

I don't think anyone is being unreasonable here other than your defense of noopsyche.

I would like to thank OP for bringing this up. Now I know to stay away from these lights and company.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh geez, where to even start.

Labeling an electrical supply with incorrect wattage amounts can't possibly be legal or up to code. This is a potential fire hazard.

Let that sink in. Potential. Fire. Hazard.

I don't think anyone is being unreasonable here other than your defense of noopsyche.

I would like to thank OP for bringing this up. Now I know to stay away from these lights and company.
I would urge you to take a step back and not view my comments as a defense to the manufacturer but consider that if you want them to continue in a discussion, throwing accusations that may or may not be true isn't going to bear fruit.

I'm not down playing the idea that if in fact these are labeled correctly, they pose an issue. But, fire hazard is a very big leap especially if we go off the notion that they are labeled correctly and these power supplies meet the list of stringent standards listed on the power supply. Chances are they will fault before that happened. Even in the event it does get to the point that it overheats, the materials used (based on the label) will not combust.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would urge you to take a step back and not view my comments as a defense to the manufacturer but consider that if you want them to continue in a discussion, throwing accusations that may or may not be true isn't going to bear fruit.

I'm not down playing the idea that if in fact these are labeled correctly, they pose an issue. But, fire hazard is a very big leap especially if we go off the notion that they are labeled correctly and these power supplies meet the list of stringent standards listed on the power supply. Chances are they will fault before that happened. Even in the event it does get to the point that it overheats, the materials used (based on the label) will not combust.
I urge everyone to never use a device that does not match the specs on the label.

frydaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sisterlimonpot, most of your response pertaining to me is also speculation. I actually accept their answer on the issue and I'm not seeking any further clarification from Noopsyche. It was some of the statements in this thread made by people who own their products that made me change my mind on whether to purchase or not. But like you said, at this point I'm just an observer with no skin in the game. Hopefully those who own the product get the answers and reassurances they need.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sisterlimonpot, most of your response pertaining to me is also speculation.
As I definitely used your post as an example there are plenty more that could've been quoted. I didn't mean to single you out, as much as yours was the latest post.

I do recognize the irony that my posts are detracting from the intended purpose of the thread and will ramp down my responses.

I do want to say that @G150Driver caught a potential big issue and his concerns (along with others) are worthy of explanation.

OP
OP
G150Driver

G150Driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my absence. It’s been a crazy end to the week with family issues. NooPsyche has been responding to my concerns on their website chat. They’ve outlined instructions to check the power supply output. I’ll post the instructions and my result, hopefully tomorrow when I get home from the hospital.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
126w is the actual maximum output power of DC output. The international standard is plus or minus 5% fault tolerance. The maximum power tested by K7 PRO III is 140watt (this includes the power loss of the power supply, and the power supply efficiency is 88%)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
126w is the actual maximum output power of DC output. The international standard is plus or minus 5% fault tolerance. The maximum power tested by K7 PRO III is 140watt (this includes the power loss of the power supply, and the power supply efficiency is 88%)
This is a statement that leads to speculation. It's very ambiguous. Are you just stating facts? Or is there a purpose?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to preface this with I have no dog in the fight. The way I’m interpreting everything is that Noopsyche switched power supplies due to a failure issue. The power supplies being used are essentially pre-fabed 126watt supplies that have been either modified or upgraded to power 140watts. The only issue is the label doesn’t show this change and that’s the issue people are having.

I agree with everyone here that I wouldn’t use an advertised underpowered supply (regardless of the internals). That also said, I don’t think anything malicious is going on from Noop, I just don’t think it’s understood how serious the issue is causing concern with users in this thread.

With that also said, I don’t think it will be an issue in the end for most users. I don’t know a single user that blasts their tank with 100% power on all channels.

OP
OP
G150Driver

G150Driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If 126w is the actual maximum power output, then I would like you to send me the older bronze power supply that is rated to meet or exceed the 140 watt requirement for the light. My home insurance agent would not be happy with me for running the lower wattage power supply.

OP
OP
G150Driver

G150Driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what they sent me to test the output of the 126w supply. It doesn’t make sense to me how that will prove anything so I asked for clarification. I am not an electrician. I’ve requested the previous model of power supply.

71ED12C3-6529-40D6-973A-BAB20E2109FC.jpeg 115931C4-E2B3-41D0-A59A-AB3C12B65300.jpeg

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't make sense to me either. Your results would be expected.

They're probably asking you to check amperage, but that requires you cutting the power wire and placing your red and black probe in between the open circuit.

Definitely not a test that the end user should perform.

Best case is to make an adapter so that you're not splicing into your cable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back