Noob from PA here

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I just got into this hobby about two weeks ago. I've always wanted a salt water tank and I'm finally starting it!

I went to PetSmart looking around at the fish and ended up talking to an employee about salt water tanks. I went back the next day and bought a 36 gallon bow front with stand. The next day I went to the Hidden Reef in Levittown, PA and got an Aqueon Queitflow 200 canister filter with some live sand, Instant Ocean Salt, API master saltwater test kit and a 150 watt heater. I got an Aqua life RO/DI system, wifi smart surge protector and refractometer from Amazon. Then I got about 60 pounds of Real reef live rock from SaltWaterAquarium.com...didn't use all of it. I've had the tank cycling since January 18, 2022 using a raw frozen shrimp tail as my Ammonia to kick off the nitrogen cycle and have added API Quick start to help establish my bio filter. I watched my Ammonia seem to peek and now my Nitrites... The API test kit is hard to determine what the result is based off the colors, haha. But it seems my Ammonia shade is going back down and my Nitrite shade has been the same the past 3 days. The Nitrates... it all looks the same color. Freaking yellowish and orangey I'm not sure. I've been watching a crazy amount of YouTube to help get myself acclimated in this marine world and I figured I would register on a forum.

Anyway my name is Matt and Hello!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I just got into this hobby about two weeks ago. I've always wanted a salt water tank and I'm finally starting it!

I went to PetSmart looking around at the fish and ended up talking to an employee about salt water tanks. I went back the next day and bought a 36 gallon bow front with stand. The next day I went to the Hidden Reef in Levittown, PA and got an Aqueon Queitflow 200 canister filter with some live sand, Instant Ocean Salt, API master saltwater test kit and a 150 watt heater. I got an Aqua life RO/DI system, wifi smart surge protector and refractometer from Amazon. Then I got about 60 pounds of Real reef live rock from SaltWaterAquarium.com...didn't use all of it. I've had the tank cycling since January 18, 2022 using a raw frozen shrimp tail as my Ammonia to kick off the nitrogen cycle and have added API Quick start to help establish my bio filter. I watched my Ammonia seem to peek and now my Nitrites... The API test kit is hard to determine what the result is based off the colors, haha. But it seems my Ammonia shade is going back down and my Nitrite shade has been the same the past 3 days. The Nitrates... it all looks the same color. Freaking yellowish and orangey I'm not sure. I've been watching a crazy amount of YouTube to help get myself acclimated in this marine world and I figured I would register on a forum.

Anyway my name is Matt and Hello!
Hello and welcome to Reef2Reef. API test kits are notorious for difficult reading so my only real advice is Patience. Thats the one thing that will help you not waste money and be successful second thing read as much on this forum as you can its a wealth of information.
High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back