Whats Up Hello GIF by Make it Move

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I just got into this hobby about two weeks ago. I've always wanted a salt water tank and I'm finally starting it!

I went to PetSmart looking around at the fish and ended up talking to an employee about salt water tanks. I went back the next day and bought a 36 gallon bow front with stand. The next day I went to the Hidden Reef in Levittown, PA and got an Aqueon Queitflow 200 canister filter with some live sand, Instant Ocean Salt, API master saltwater test kit and a 150 watt heater. I got an Aqua life RO/DI system, wifi smart surge protector and refractometer from Amazon. Then I got about 60 pounds of Real reef live rock from SaltWaterAquarium.com...didn't use all of it. I've had the tank cycling since January 18, 2022 using a raw frozen shrimp tail as my Ammonia to kick off the nitrogen cycle and have added API Quick start to help establish my bio filter. I watched my Ammonia seem to peek and now my Nitrites... The API test kit is hard to determine what the result is based off the colors, haha. But it seems my Ammonia shade is going back down and my Nitrite shade has been the same the past 3 days. The Nitrates... it all looks the same color. Freaking yellowish and orangey I'm not sure. I've been watching a crazy amount of YouTube to help get myself acclimated in this marine world and I figured I would register on a forum.

Anyway my name is Matt and Hello!

Hi Matt and Welcome! Glad you joined. Originally I used that API nitrate test kit too - I'd carry it around making other family members guess the intensity of color to help me be 'accurate' in my recording of value for tracking. Eventually I upgraded kit to Hanna Nitrate (they have low and high kit options - not one kit for both (yet... that would be nice!)).

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
Matty Ice

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matt and Welcome! Glad you joined. Originally I used that API nitrate test kit too - I'd carry it around making other family members guess the intensity of color to help me be 'accurate' in my recording of value for tracking. Eventually I upgraded kit to Hanna Nitrate (they have low and high kit options - not one kit for both (yet... that would be nice!)).

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll try it out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
Matty Ice

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Read through everything. Started my build thread. Yay…I have a badge now

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Matt. Welcome to the salty side and the community! It sounds like you're off to a good start. API can give wired readings when cycling saltwater so hang in there and feel free to ask questions if the normal cycling. If you started with live rock your cycle is most likely done. Live rock acts as almost an instant cycler but maybe give it a bit more time. Go slow, especially when you start to add inhabitants and give your tank time to mature. I look forward to seeing your setup. :)

OP
OP
Matty Ice

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! If youre near the hidden reef you're local to me as well. If you ever have any questions or need a hand feel free to shoot me a message!
I’m about 30 mins from the hidden reef. I might take you up on that sometime. Haha

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through everything. Started my build thread. Yay…I have a badge now

WAHOO!!!!! Let me be among the first to say CONGRATULATIONS on your build thread!!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back