Normal Clam Behavior

Cool Cat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals, I’ve been in the hobby for nearly 20 years and just brought home my first clam. It is a blue maxima, just wondering what I should be looking for to see if it is happy and healthy. I have it in a 60 cube under a Kessil 360 in the sand bed. I noticed that it closed up as the Kessil was ramping down. Is that typical? Any advice would be welcomed!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, normal. No more light for them to utilize, so it won't have as much extension.

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prolly just getting used to things. I just placed mine in the bed and it moved around til happy . Got my first one about 4 months ago. Enjoy.

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prolly just getting used to things. I just placed mine in the bed and it moved around til happy . Got my first one about 4 months ago. Enjoy.

OP
OP
Cool Cat

Cool Cat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys ...still closed ...hoping that its just normal behavior for a new clam. Opens a little then closes when my blenny swims by and nips at its shell.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys ...still closed ...hoping that its just normal behavior for a new clam. Opens a little then closes when my blenny swims by and nips at its shell.
That's something the clam will get used too. After some time a fish swimming over it won't bother the clam anymore. It's actually good sign that it has a response.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cool Cat

Cool Cat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks DSC... my dkh is around 8.5 and calc is 440, do I need to bump it up? Do I need to tweet my lighting schedule to increase my max intensity photo period or will the clam adjust? Right now my lighting schedule is as follows:
0 color 25 intensity - 2hr ramp to
15 color 30 intensity - 3hr ramp to
25 color 50 intensity - 3hr ramp to
50 color 75 intensity - 2hr ramp down to
25 color 50 intensity- 2hr ramp down to

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the tank exactly as is. As the clam keeps improving and growing then increasing photo period could be beneficial. I dont have much experience with led lighting as we've only used halide/T5 on our systems. Our new build will have all kessil so I'm excited to see what they can do.

OP
OP
Cool Cat

Cool Cat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! These guys are so cool and I’ve wanted one for several years. Just don’t want to kill it in the first week

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! These guys are so cool and I’ve wanted one for several years. Just don’t want to kill it in the first week
Your very welcome. They are my favorite reef animal, I'm fascinated by them. They can be difficult to keep but don't get discouraged. Looking forward to some updates growth pics.

OP
OP
Cool Cat

Cool Cat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, still not opening very much...when should I get worried? I read maximas like a rocky base so I placed it on a rocky plate and buried the plate in the sand. Trying the have patience

OP
OP
Cool Cat

Cool Cat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first is about an hour after I acclimated him and put him in on Saturday. The second is just about t minutes ago (Wednesday)

4F48DB78-63FA-4610-96E8-184A85281D41.jpeg

E4EEFB89-2D6A-473F-B24A-A8BB8DBADCD1.jpeg

OP
OP
Cool Cat

Cool Cat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen any snails around the mantle or on his shell, but I haven’t checked the foot. As for the flow I’d say it’s a moderate amount, he’s nearest the wall that my gyre is attached to. My wall hammer used to be in that spot and it wasn’t blown away. Do I need to move him? I tried to place him in a spot with good flow and not as much intense lighting to help him acclimate to lights.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your blenny is nipping at it every time it extends its mantle a bit, that could be enough to keep it closed.

As far as flow, I'd keep it fairly mild, with the incurrent siphon (the long slit-like one, not the round one) directed into the current. The mantle, when fully extended, shouldn't be moving much.

Also, what were the light conditions where you got it, as compared to your tank? I've seen clams close up when suddenly placed in much brighter lights.

Pyram snails can be hard to see - They're tiny and white.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back