Normal Clown Behavior?

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've never really seen full clown fish hosting behavior, and I wanted to make certain if this was it or if there's something wrong. The 'male' of the two - I believe it's the male as it's the smaller of the pair and the one who is less dominant - is sticking his nose into my larger goniopora and just, sitting there, looking like he's sucking on the coral's polyps. I've seen rubbing behavior before, and they've shown interest in this coral, but nothing like this, and it's only the male.

They don't seem to be doing any damage to the goni, it retreats and then fluffs right back out after a couple of minutes. The male is swimming... more lazily than the female, but they both had a quick and energetic feeding reaction like normal. I gave the tank a parameter test just in case something was off, but everything seems to be where it should be or at least not concerning levels.
Salinity .025, Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 20, Phos: .01, Alk: 8, PH: 8.

All of the corals are out and fluffy, but I did lose a small rockflower anemone the last day or so. Just wanting to make certain this is 'normal' behavior. In both videos you can see the male seeming to be 'sucking' on the goni's tentacles, and the first video is what's made me concerned as he just lies there for several seconds.

Clown1.jpg Clown2.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neat little videos, and nice clowns! Keep an eye on them to be sure they don't bother the goni long-term.

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both clowns today are on the sand bed and seem to be really struggling, the male more than the female. They've lived in this tank happily for 4-6 months now. I've already done a 30% water change this morning and put in a fresh bag of carbon to see if there's anything in the water it can pull out, and added an airstone. Earlier tests were good, they're in the first post.

Male had a decent feeding response, the female completely uninterested. I've got a fresh batch of salt water just about ready, should I do another 30% change or put them in the fresh saltwater entirely out of the tank? This feels like an emergency and they may not make it but I can't identify an issue.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nothing overly concerning in the videos. Clowns will often be lazy and lay around. Absent other symptoms, keep an eye on them but I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nothing overly concerning in the videos. Clowns will often be lazy and lay around. Absent other symptoms, keep an eye on them but I wouldn't worry too much.

I didn't have the chance to upload this before as I was in a hurry, but this isn't normal behavior. This is dying behavior.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
70-120 gill beats per minute is normal. Hard to tell in a 6 sec video. Try counting yourself over 60s.

@Jay Hemdal might be able to tell from the quick clip.

#fishmedic

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I counted around 140-150 gill beats in a 60 second time period. The male is rolling over onto his side and having trouble sitting upright.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, the laying down alone is not concerning. But combined with an increased respiration rate there may be an issue. Fish medics have been pinged, let's see what more experienced eyes think.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lack of feeding response isn't a good sign. Another water change may not go amiss if you can do it without stressing them a ton.

Clowns act weird on a regular basis, but that video does look like something might be wrong. A longer video may help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn't have the chance to upload this before as I was in a hurry, but this isn't normal behavior. This is dying behavior.

Sorry - this video is definitely not normal. the fish is breathing too deeply and quickly, and it is also thin.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what is going on here. The first videos looked a *little* like normal hosting behavior, but the clown stayed nose-in to the goni too long. Then, that last video shows a fish that is actively dying, so things went downhill very fast.

Are there any other fish in the tank?
Any symptoms with them?
If your corals and invertebrates are all doing well, it is not likely to be anything to do with water quality.

Jay

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what is going on here. The first videos looked a *little* like normal hosting behavior, but the clown stayed nose-in to the goni too long. Then, that last video shows a fish that is actively dying, so things went downhill very fast.

Are there any other fish in the tank?
Any symptoms with them?
If your corals and invertebrates are all doing well, it is not likely to be anything to do with water quality.

Jay

This tank has only the two clowns, and the female is doing better, but not great. She is swimming near but not resting on the bottom, hovering in one place. I've been actively trying to feed a little more both to raise nitrates a bit and to help these clowns get a little plumper and healthier looking.

Other stocking: snails, hermit crabs, assorted soft and LPS corals as well as several RFAs. All of these critters are doing well. I did lose an RFA a couple of days ago, but I've tested for an ammonia spike and came up with nothing, then did two 30% water changes even after that just in case.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has only the two clowns, and the female is doing better, but not great. She is swimming near but not resting on the bottom, hovering in one place. I've been actively trying to feed a little more both to raise nitrates a bit and to help these clowns get a little plumper and healthier looking.

Other stocking: snails, hermit crabs, assorted soft and LPS corals as well as several RFAs. All of these critters are doing well. I did lose an RFA a couple of days ago, but I've tested for an ammonia spike and came up with nothing, then did two 30% water changes even after that just in case.

Sorry - what is an RFA? A rock flower? If so, that *could* indicate a water quality issue, but I doubt it.

Jay

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - what is an RFA? A rock flower? If so, that *could* indicate a water quality issue, but I doubt it.

Jay
That's right, Rock Flower Anemone. This particular one hasn't been doing great, so I wasn't too surprised to see it go. The handful of other anemones are all acting healthy and happy. I'm trying to rule out everything I can think of.

I completed another 30% water change on the outside since I had it mixed already. I'm not sure if there's more I can do other than keep the lights low, the airstone in and try to offer food.

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates: Both of my clowns are still alive and improved.

After the last water change yesterday, I noted a marked improvement in the male's breathing and activity after only a short time. He ate again when prompted though the female didn't.

Today they're both swimming in more regular patterns and I'll keep the supportive components in - airstone, carbon, maybe another water change.

I can only surmise that... something got into the tank water. They're not back to 100% yet but I'm hopeful, given the improvement. I'll keep updating as things develop, but I appreciate the assistance offered.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back