Normal Ocellaris pair behaviour?

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say they look like they're just adjusting. Watch them though just in case there is some problem that they are having. In my experience, this looks normal and they should be fine. Those are some nice-looking clowns as well. Good luck!

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks…
Somehow they eat, but not much..
Dont know they either dont like my pellets and spirulina flakes or they just adjust and dont want to eat atm.

Unfortunately I dont have mysis or sime frozen stuff here. The former owner told me they eat everything without any doubt.

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks…
Somehow they eat, but not much..
Dont know they either dont like my pellets and spirulina flakes or they just adjust and dont want to eat atm.

Unfortunately I dont have mysis or sime frozen stuff here. The former owner told me they eat everything without any doubt.
I'd say just give them some time :)

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say just give them some time :)
Second. It looks like the more aggressive oce is establishing dominance over the other & has decided to become the bigger female. The way she continues pinning the other oce, she has decided it will become the male. The male continues to follow her & flashes at her as courtship. Your actual witnessing the transition & pairing of the ocellaris. She might take to hosting an anemone pretty soon & the male will follow.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second. It looks like the more aggressive oce is establishing dominance over the other & has decided to become the bigger female. The way she continues pinning the other oce, she has decided it will become the male. The male continues to follow her & flashes at her as courtship. Your actual witnessing the transition & pairing of the ocellaris. She might take to hosting an anemone pretty soon & the male will follow.
Thanks guys, the transition is not done yet. The behaviour didnt change and the oce‘a are still in this „fight“.

Is it normal to take that long?

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, the female will forever be in control of the male. As long as there are not serious visible injuries, the oce will be fine.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, the female will forever be in control of the male. As long as there are not serious visible injuries, the oce will be fine.
so that means this fight will last forever now? I dont want a pai ocellaris in my tank fighting every day from now on wow..
you think they dont "mate" again and be peaceful? Theres always the male pushing the female from above to the ground

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, it’s not a fight, it’s courtship. As I mentioned, as long as you don’t see serious visible injuries like redness on the side of its body, completely torn fins, Popeye from severe stress from attacks, the clowns will be fine. As the female grows & courting ends, the female backs away from frequently pinning the male but will still display dominance here & there, especially if you introduce an anemone for the pair to host. The female will own that anemone & will occasionally allow the male to come in, depending on the size of the men. The larger the men, the more room there is for the male to slip in & enjoy its home. She will even try to attack you if you get to close to the anemone, it’s in there nature & we can’t do nothing about their natural instincts. I suggest doing some reading on clownfish behavior in order to understand how these animals court each other & how they choose which partner will become male & the other a female. All clowns display the exact behavior, in my experience the tomatoes or maroon are the most aggressive when it comes to courting & hosting a nem. It might look like a fight to you but the animals are acting instinctively, which is the most natural thing for them to do. This hobby requires tons of reading & observation to understand the nature & biology of these animals. Believe me, I’ve had reef tanks for well over 20 years & I still come across things that I have never seen before that will lead me to do more research.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back