Not All Thermometers Are Created Equal

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Consistent and accurate water temperature is important for the well-being of our livestock - whether it be fish, corals, inverts or bacteria. Do you really know what temperature your water is? Are you trusting your brand new temperature probe, or a cheap thermometer you picked up at the store? How do you know which is accurate?

NIST Traceability

NIST (The National Institute of Standards and Technology) is the overseeing body that maintains the U.S. standards for temperature.

1.jpg

Photo of NIST traceable thermometer by R2R member @ReefConcept.

How it works:

1. The thermometer manufacturer sends a thermometer (platinum) to NIST for calibration and it is then returned to the manufacturer.
2. The manufacturer calibrates a digital thermometer with their NIST calibrated platinum thermometer.
3. The digital thermometer is now NIST traceable and ready for sale/distribution.

Caveat: You have to trust your source as there is no official certification process the purchaser can use to verify the claims made by the seller.

NIST traceable thermometers are commonly used by laboratories and in the food industry. Although some of the fancy models cost several hundreds of dollars, you can find basic thermometers for around $50.

1.jpg

Now, here are a few questions you may be asking yourself:

Are controller probes or other thermometers commonly used in the hobby NIST traceable?

Generally, no. NIST traceable thermometers are a big deal, so any NIST traceable thermometer would clearly be marketed as such. The temperature probes I've seen offered in our industry have never been sold as NIST traceable either. Because temperature probes can (most of the time) be adjusted by a controller, it wouldn't make much sense for manufacturers to calibrate each one to a NIST traceable thermometer. However, it is smart to purchase a NIST traceable thermometer to do such calibration at home.

How would I know if mine is?

It would have been marketed/sold as such. Most NIST traceable thermometers are sold with paperwork stating what equipment was used for the calibration process.

Do NIST traceable thermometers need to be re-calibrated?

Absolutely. As with other devices we use - TDS meters, temperature probes, PH probes, etc, NIST traceable thermometers also need to be calibrated on a regular basis. I personally calibrate my equipment at least once a year.

How can I calibrate my NIST traceable thermometer?

It's easy, check out this video!

Last edited by a moderator:

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Veegee makes a cheap one that is nist traceable no? Could have sworn I saw it on amazon one day.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once you recalibrate a NIST thermometer it would no longer be at NIST standards, correct? Would you need it to always be recalibrated by the platinum thermometer?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Taylor's all the time and can be calibrated in a glass of ice water and used this bad boy to calibrate my tank probe, Great job on the write up

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, it would still be considered nist traceable even after further calibrations.

So once you recalibrate a NIST thermometer it would no longer be at NIST standards, correct? Would you need it to always be recalibrated by the platinum thermometer?

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they make nist traceable hydrometers, not sure about thermometers.

Veegee makes a cheap one that is nist traceable no? Could have sworn I saw it on amazon one day.

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can also be nist traceable! the ones I've seen are around $500.

Anybody have opinions on point and shoot ir thermometer?

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can also be nist traceable! the ones I've seen are around $500.
I'm just curious, I have always used one that looks like a radar gun. It's like 5 degrees different than those white hang on the tank ones. I use the hang on ones only for reference. So I'm guessing the nist is a standard. I have used fluke probes that were calibrated, but never heard of nist traceable.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job and thank you!

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there any reason that I cant just immerse the controllers probe directly into the ice water for calibration? I have 2 different controllers on my tank and there is 2deg f difference between the two. I need to calibrate to figure out if the controller that is controlling my temp is right.
thanks
Jeff

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Consistent and accurate water temperature is important for the well-being of our livestock - whether it be fish, corals, inverts or bacteria. Do you really know what temperature your water is? Are you trusting your brand new temperature probe, or a cheap thermometer you picked up at the store? How do you know which is accurate?

NIST Traceability

NIST (The National Institute of Standards and Technology) is the overseeing body that maintains the U.S. standards for temperature.

1.jpg

Photo of NIST traceable thermometer by R2R member @ReefConcept.

How it works:

1. The thermometer manufacturer sends a thermometer (platinum) to NIST for calibration and it is then returned to the manufacturer.
2. The manufacturer calibrates a digital thermometer with their NIST calibrated platinum thermometer.
3. The digital thermometer is now NIST traceable and ready for sale/distribution.

Caveat: You have to trust your source as there is no official certification process the purchaser can use to verify the claims made by the seller.

NIST traceable thermometers are commonly used by laboratories and in the food industry. Although some of the fancy models cost several hundreds of dollars, you can find basic thermometers for around $50.

1.jpg

Now, here are a few questions you may be asking yourself:

Are controller probes or other thermometers commonly used in the hobby NIST traceable?

Generally, no. NIST traceable thermometers are a big deal, so any NIST traceable thermometer would clearly be marketed as such. The temperature probes I've seen offered in our industry have never been sold as NIST traceable either. Because temperature probes can (most of the time) be adjusted by a controller, it wouldn't make much sense for manufacturers to calibrate each one to a NIST traceable thermometer. However, it is smart to purchase a NIST traceable thermometer to do such calibration at home.

How would I know if mine is?

It would have been marketed/sold as such. Most NIST traceable thermometers are sold with paperwork stating what equipment was used for the calibration process.

Do NIST traceable thermometers need to be re-calibrated?

Absolutely. As with other devices we use - TDS meters, temperature probes, PH probes, etc, NIST traceable thermometers also need to be calibrated on a regular basis. I personally calibrate my equipment at least once a year.

How can I calibrate my NIST traceable thermometer?

It's easy, check out this video!

Love it rings so true, well said and written!

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to care, but my problem is I don't understand the point of getting so specific with the temperature when the typical calibrated thermometer will still have an accuracy of +/- 1.0º

So that tells me you could hypothetically have 2 certified calibrated thermometers side by side and have 2 degrees between them.

At that point, who cares. Just pick a thermometer and use that as your standard. Its all relative.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1252.JPG

That's all I need to check temps. Wife works for research company and when they upgrade, she gets them free.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back