Not reading calcium correct?

jcabral125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m not sure if I’m completely losing my mind but I’ve been struggling getting my calcium levels up and I’m starting to feel like my test just isn’t accurate. I’ve never had this problem with my api test kit before but this is strange. I have a Xenia coral, green galaxea a very very small gsp, as well as two anemones(split about a month ago) , 2 clowns, skunk shrimp, 2 green crabs, a couple of snails and hermits in my 15 gal nano reef. I’m definitely aware that am probably at or over my limit in the tank but the second anemone was unexpected. I have been testing my parameters twice a day for the last 4 days trying to figure out what I need to dose I’m getting everything back to normal parameters and figuring out dosing, except for calcium. This morning I measured ca levels and read 320 so I added 5 ml of liquid calcium. This evening I messed the ca levels again and they were at 300. I’m starting to get scared that I’m adding too much calcium but don’t get why my levels are not going up. This has resulted in my Xenia getting droopy and my galaxea is starting to lose its coloring. Any advice is appreciated.

parameters
Salinity-1.027
Temp-78
Ph8.2
Dkh-179 (adding buffer tonight)
Ammonia-0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
Phosphate-0

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm questioning your test kits or methods. With the only hard coral the galaxea, I tend to think your problem is the test kit. What salt are you using? I would think with one coral (and assuming relatively small) you would be able to maintain alk and calc with water changes only.

The other question I have is what you are reporting as "Dkh." I can only assume that is ppm and not Dkh. If that is the case, that is equivalent to about 10 Dkh, which is just fine.

I was never crazy about API test kits. I'd suggest you have a fellow reefer test your water (with their kits) or take a water sample to your LFS.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my suggestion is try another test kit... maybe yours is off. you haven't listed anything that absorbs much calcium and other than a bad reading, the only thing i could think of would be water changes or an ATO affecting your readings, but those should affect the other ones as well.

OP
OP
jcabral125

jcabral125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm questioning your test kits or methods. With the only hard coral the galaxea, I tend to think your problem is the test kit. What salt are you using? I would think with one coral (and assuming relatively small) you would be able to maintain alk and calc with water changes only.

The other question I have is what you are reporting as "Dkh." I can only assume that is ppm and not Dkh. If that is the case, that is equivalent to about 10 Dkh, which is just fine.

I was never crazy about API test kits. I'd suggest you have a fellow reefer test your water (with their kits) or take a water sample to your LFS.
You are right I’m referring to ppm kH. Also when I test I give my test viles a saltwater rinsing before testing, pour it out, the. Add water I’m testing. I get my salt water and rodi from my lfs. I’ll go look for some different tests tomorrow and maybe bring in some water to my lfs to see if they can test it. Never had a problem with using api to test so this situation is puzzling me.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back