Not saltwater fish, but...finally got eggs!!

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R Members,

I'm not on any other forums but this one and since this is an aquarium forum, I'd thought I'd share these pictures. I was finally able to get the female to hold and get good eggs from my Blue Zaire Frontosa. Stripped the female tonight and got the eggs in a tumbler. For those who don't know Fronsotsa are African cichlids from Lake Tanganika and are mouthbrooders.

I'm pretty stocked and can't wait to see these little wigglers grow.

3D Reefin'

IMG_3103.PNG
IMG_3106.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's great! Congrats!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cool,keep us updated :)

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they survive off the egg for a bit or are you having to feed already? That looks awesome. I wish there was room for more tanks. cichlids are awesome, I've been wanting to do a shell dweller tank for a while.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they survive off the egg for a bit or are you having to feed already? That looks awesome. I wish there was room for more tanks. cichlids are awesome, I've been wanting to do a shell dweller tank for a while.

This is is the first time I get fry from my Frontosa, but I assume that they are like other mouthbrooding cichlids, the fry won't take food till they completely absorb the egg. I usually wait an extra day after they absorb the egg to offer food.

I am a big fan of cichlids from Lake Tanganyika, I have been thinking of getting shell dwellers too. Just got some Petricola and I have a group of F1 Gold Head Compressicep that are starting to color up. They grow slow, but are going to be stunning when they fully mature, can't wait to get fry from them.

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those look crazy cool!! I didn’t know they developed like that. I assumed they stayed inside the egg, hatched, then finished up absorbing the yolk

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been planning a 10' Tanganyika tank for the Frontosa and the Golden Head Comps. Something similar to these two tanks.

@Ruskin The bottom tank is a Shell Dweller tank. I think its a 125 gallon, they did an amazing job with the lighting.

***Pictures are not mine, I don't know who took them or the tank owners, all credit goes to them.
Frontosa Tank.png
Tanganika Tank.png

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been planning a 10' Tanganyika tank for the Frontosa and the Golden Head Comps. Something similar to these two tanks.

@Ruskin The bottom tank is a Shell Dweller tank. I think its a 125 gallon, they did an amazing job with the lighting.

***Pictures are not mine, I don't know who took them or the tank owners, all credit goes to them.
Frontosa Tank.png
Tanganika Tank.png

That's awesome. I assume the bottom one is the shaded/opaque background where the back rock is cork or something similar and is behind the background? I've wanted to try something like that too. Make sure you keep this updated, its super interesting!

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're darkening up and looking good.

I'm deep into planning a small shell dweller tank now thanks to you :cool: Started getting quotes on glass and acrylic today.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back