Not sure where to post this. Shipping help

urban coral farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help coming up with a plan to ship zoa/paly frags. I have a bunch of grow out plugs and it's time to start fraging and selling. Need a plan to ensure live arrival every time and since this is a first for me I figured I'd reach out to the pros.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help coming up with a plan to ship zoa/paly frags. I have a bunch of grow out plugs and it's time to start fraging and selling. Need a plan to ensure live arrival every time and since this is a first for me I figured I'd reach out to the pros.

The best way that I’ve seen is to do it the traditional way. The trick is to practice packaging, using different temps/heat packs/box insulation. I regularly sell my copepods. I’m still experimenting, but I’ve come to a standard packaging that works in any temp generally.
Soft corals are generally resilient. As you prob already know. You’ll do fine with 2-3 day usps Priority. But it all depends on weight and service. Use your pay pal to price. If u need more help send me a pm. Later [emoji1365]

OP
OP
U

urban coral farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way that I’ve seen is to do it the traditional way. The trick is to practice packaging, using different temps/heat packs/box insulation. I regularly sell my copepods. I’m still experimenting, but I’ve come to a standard packaging that works in any temp generally.
Soft corals are generally resilient. As you prob already know. You’ll do fine with 2-3 day usps Priority. But it all depends on weight and service. Use your pay pal to price. If u need more help send me a pm. Later [emoji1365]
Awesome thanks for the help I'm going to PM you now just so I dont loose your name in the mix.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Awesome thanks for the help I'm going to PM you now just so I dont loose your name in the mix.
Just a different opinion on the previous advise, if we were making arrangements to do business and you said your shipping method for any kind of coral was 2-3 day shipping, I would cancel.
Overnight shipping or nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

urban coral farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a different opinion on the previous advise, if we were making arrangements to business and you said your shipping method for any kind of coral was 2-3 day shipping, I would cancel.
Overnight is what I shoot for unless buyer Express an interest in priority

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a different opinion on the previous advise, if we were making arrangements to do business and you said your shipping method for any kind of coral was 2-3 day shipping, I would cancel.

I beg to disagree. All the soft corals that I’ve order have been 2-3 day. If it were SPS it would be a different story. I guess that’s why it’s good to have an “arrive alive” return policy. I don’t think it’s financially good advice when it’s not necessary, unless the customer is willing to pick up the difference.
I’m speaking from experience and just common sense. Why pay for a 60-100$ shipping when you don’t have to. Surely you wouldn’t pay 120-200$ for say, a leather coral,right? Would you order from that guy or the guy that charged 60-100 for the same thing.
Personally I would not take anyone anecdotal advise unless I’ve checked it out with a few more people, professionals who do it on a daily basis. It’s smarter to just have a great solid return policy, otherwise no one will buy anything from you. Call some of the bigger coral farmers and ask them.
I say do the research. There’s no substitute for the right information. Use the forum as a starting point. It either does or doesn’t work.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I beg to disagree. All the soft corals that I’ve order have been 2-3 day. If it were SPS it would be a different story. I guess that’s why it’s good to have an “arrive alive” return policy. I don’t think it’s financially good advice when it’s not necessary, unless the customer is willing to pick up the difference.
I’m speaking from experience and just common sense. Why pay for a 60-100$ shipping when you don’t have to. Surely you wouldn’t pay 120-200$ for say, a leather coral,right? Would you order from that guy or the guy that charged 60-100 for the same thing.
Personally I would not take anyone anecdotal advise unless I’ve checked it out with a few more people, professionals who do it on a daily basis. It’s smarter to just have a great solid return policy, otherwise no one will buy anything from you. Call some of the bigger coral farmers and ask them.
I say do the research. There’s no substitute for the right information. Use the forum as a starting point. It either does or doesn’t work.
You can disagree all you want. I just said that if it were me in the deal I would not accept anything but overnight shipping.
I too am talking from experience.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it would be a turn off for me as well if shipping was 2-3 days rather than overnight. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but I feel more comfortable about the transaction if it’s overnight.

And in many situations that customer pays for shipping unless a certain price is met. If I buy a dozen corals you won’t be losing much on shipping vs if I just wanted one, then I’d have to shell out the extra cash.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 134 76.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back