NPS critters ID

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2023
Messages
77
Reaction score
31
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to what all these different critters growing on live rock in my NPS tank are? I know some are sponges but I’ve included pics of a few I’m not sure of. I’ve seen most of it here and there before but I feed my NPS tank consistently so I’ve noticed new growths popping up everywhere on my live rock like crazy. I love it, the more diversity the better. Just curious as to what they are?

Thanks

IMG_6208.jpeg IMG_6209.jpeg IMG_6214.jpeg IMG_6218.jpeg
 
Lots going on in this first pic, but I see some sponges (notably the three, relatively large, white "fingers" popping up on the left near the top of the rock), some bivalves, and what I would assume is a very happy colonial hydroid species.
This one obviously has a white sponge, but I think the little, white growths coming out of the pink (which the pink may be a filter feeder of some kind as well; possibly a sponge if soft or a large foraminiferan if hard/solid) may be either bryozoans or hydroids. There are also a handful of spirorbid worm tubes visible in the pic.
The white here is probably a sponge, but I can't entirely rule out tunicates of some kind from the pic.
The little white things popping up in this are pineapple sponges (genus Sycon).
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new