Nuisance algae

Deanster12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping someone can identify this horrible algae I keep getting on a daily basis, my parameters are stable for once as I was battling high nitrates and phosphate, nitrates now are 5-10 and phos is 0.05 with the help of an algae scrubber I made, the tank is about two years old and it’s a mix of corals, 2 clowns and 2 tangs and a couple of snails. Is this algae bloom dinos or diatoms.

0FEC9DBF-35C9-4D90-B8D6-488012B8113D.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Deanster12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers I had a feeling it was as it looks like snot, I’m guessing I’ve removed too much phos and nitrates with the scrubber which I have removed now, what other action should I take to get rid of these dinos

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing I’ve removed too much phos and nitrates with the scrubber
Yeah I suppose. I don't quite understand this common response if I'm being honest. Lack of other inhabitants that could occupy that niche is more of the way I see it... I mean I get the concept but idk if it automatically means dinos... In general... In your case it does look like dinos. Sorry didnt mean to derail

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I suppose. I don't quite understand this common response if I'm being honest. Lack of other inhabitants that could occupy that niche is more of the way I see it... I mean I get the concept but idk if it automatically means dinos... In general... In your case it does look like dinos. Sorry didnt mean to derail
I think the common response is just on the data from this site, showing that the bottoming out of either or both N/P was a common thread for almost every case of dinos.

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers I had a feeling it was as it looks like snot, I’m guessing I’ve removed too much phos and nitrates with the scrubber which I have removed now, what other action should I take to get rid of these dinos
First step is to make sure you have measurable N/P, this is required to attack all dinos.

Second, time to pick up a microscope to identify the type of Dino you have. Once you have a microscope, use the attached guide to identify type.

Based on the type you identify, I would then follow the steps from this thread.

Attachments

• DinoflagellateID12_12_2019.pdf
    730.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits have you got? If you trust your test kit they may be photosynthetic dinoflagellates that are fairly easy to deal with as a black out should work on them.
personally if your nutrients are not truly limited I’d be looking at why your system is all sudden producing more ammonia

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero nutrients is more to do with a “niche” as you say I normally refer to it as redirection of nutrients from the nitrifying heterotrophic bacteria into the first nuisance available due to a limitation in nitrate or phosphates.
System with a healthy nitrifying autotrophic bacteria generally avoid this issue and can run fine at almost undetectable residual nutrients.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha! So the (new unstable) bacteria suffers... Now this is something I can digest. Thank you for explaining like that

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha! So the (new unstable) bacteria suffers... Now this is something I can digest. Thank you for explaining like that
In a way, heterotrophic bacteria is in most systems the main bacteria responsible in oxidise ammonia, if they become limited by any of the 3 nutrients this bacteria goes dormant allowing for a rapid increase in ammonia although ammonia is never available really as soon as ammonia rises there is many species that can start to use it straight away dinoflagellates, algae and Cyanobacteria are just some of the species that can assimilate ammonia fairly efficiently.
Basically the ammonia that beneficial bacteria was using for energy is being redirected to nuisance to bloom.
this doesn’t happen in system that have a strong autotrophic nitrifying bacteria as the don’t have limitations besides the time they need to process ammonia

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a nice and short yet concise explanation. So often I see "your nutrients got low and that's WHY you have dinos" but there was a piece of the puzzle missing in my head regarding that reasoning. This explains a lot and in a simple way even I can understand. Bookmarked. Thank you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back