OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any improvements? I'm curious since nutrient adjustment didn't work for you.

I’m pretty confident in saying that I’ve got the dinos on the run. I’ve cut back on feeding, I’m barely dosing nitrates or phosphates at the moment. Only dosing alk and cal. No aminos or photo. Just making sure I have a trace of nutrients. The UV has played a huge role in the Dino cleanup. The brown dinos come back less and less each day. The water is crystal clear, my coral look happier with better polyp extension and the sand bed is actually looking white. There is hardly any slime on the frag rack, and it was the first to show signs usually.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks like it hasn't in a long, long time!

The UV filter literally changed my tank over night. It's still on top of the tank hacked together but the results have been amazing. My dino problem is almost completely gone. The nitrate/phosphate consumption has dropped SIGNIFICANTLY and the dinos barely show up on the sand bed in just a few places. I don't even have to blow the rocks off or agitate the sand-bed anymore, it just doesn't show up! My coral have gotten loads of color back, the stn on the birdsnest has stopped, polyp extension on SPS like I haven't ever seen in my tank before. Softies and LPS looking happy and healthy, too. It's safe to say the UV has made a HUGE difference. I'll be moving it to the sump soon to help maintain pristine water quality once I'm certain the dinos aren't going to rear their head again. Unfortunately, I haven't been using the diatom filter because it creates a lot of microbubbles and I haven't diagnosed the issue, although the need for it seems less, now.

Thanks for checking in. I just made this gif of the last year or so with my tank. Not the best photos, but neat to see it's progression.

opZH9yV.gif

Back