Nurse sharks

Jaramillo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 nurse sharks.
Is it possible to feed pellets ( hikari massivore )?
Feeding shrimp atm . Any suggestions regarding feeding ???
Thanks

20180924_143539.jpg

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tried feeding Hikari massivore pellets personally, but as long as your sharks are getting a varied diet rich in iodine, I'm sure it'll be fine to feed on occasion. Mazuri makes a gel specially formulated for elasmobranchs. I would feed this along with plenty of fresh/frozen seafood. It comes in a powder form that you mix with water, and is a lot more economical than most pellets (A 1 kg canister is around $30 on their website). I had to add some chopped, frozen seafood to the mix (wait til the gel is cool to the touch, but not hardened before adding) for the first couple weeks to get mine to eat it. I've spoken to other people who have used this without needing to add anything, so it'll just depend on your sharks. For the sake of convenience, can mix large batches at once, and freeze/thaw as needed. One caveat here... mix outside, or open some windows... Once you add hot water, the smell is pretty rough. You can also get shark/ray tablets on their website. These can just be pushed into thawed seafood. I would do the small tablets for your guys (at least until they grow a bit more).

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I currently have 2 nurse sharks.
Is it possible to feed pellets ( hikari massivore )?
Feeding shrimp atm . Any suggestions regarding feeding ???
Thanks

20180924_143539.jpg

How big is ur tank? Those things are gonna be huge!!! You’ll have to end up feeding 3 lbs of pellets a day.

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sharks are malnourished. You need to feed them much more frequent and in large quantities. They should be quite fat, even as pups. Feed them every 2-3 days until satiation. The mazuri tablets are a necessity too. If not, they will develop a goiter and die. At that size, they will likely eat 3/4 of a pound of fish or shrimp. They need something fatty to replenish their livers. Something like mackerel, frozen sardines, etc... Do not feed only squid. White freshwater table shrimp is not very nutritious either. Pink Argentinian prawn or Gulf shrimp, both saltwater, have the essential fats required. You need to vary the diet though. Good luck, that species has incredible personalities but unless you are able to catch or source food for cheap, plan on spending ~ $15 a week at the 24 inch range. I feed my sharks about 4-5 pounds every other day. I catch menhaden as the staple diet. They are horns and eppies.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back