Nutrients Bottoming Out?

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System is five months old. Things have been going well and over the last month, I introduced corals and have been gradually increasing the light on the system. Corals are all growing great and look happy. Total number of LPS and SPS frags is 15. As expected though, with increased light, I also got an increase in algae growth. Not real bad, but I think enough along with the corals to make my nutrient level drop fairly quickly. Over the past three weeks, NO3 has gone from 7-8 down to 1.7 this morning. PO4 had been as high as 0.08, but dropped to 0.01 over the past two weeks and this morning to 0.00.

Total tank+sump water volume approx 180 gallons.
(salinity 34.6, temp 79.5, PH 8.0, Alk 8.3, Ca 560, Mag 1550, NO3 1.7, PO4 0.00)

To help with the algae growth I added more trochus snails and two pincushion urchins Saturday. Tank has four tangs that graze the algae pretty good as well . This morning I did my first dose of NeoPhos and NeoNitro. I did a very conservative dose since I’ve never dosed nutrients before. If I did my numbers correct, I should see a rise in PO4 back to 0.01 and NO3 up to 4.0.

Any good guidance on how quick and how high I should take my numbers? I was thinking try to get the NO3 up to 10-15 and PO4 up to 0.04.

Jetson

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those products are pretty dilute. You may need to add more than you think to see results. In addition, the algae may bind quite a bit of what is added as its growth increases. You're in the ugly phase. Plan on investing some elbow grease into keeping the algae down. Adding some more fish and increasing feeding can reduce the need for the Neo products with the benefit of providing some additional organic carbon. Careful though. Overstocking or overfeeding and encourage Cyano.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those products are pretty dilute. You may need to add more than you think to see results. In addition, the algae may bind quite a bit of what is added as its growth increases. You're in the ugly phase. Plan on investing some elbow grease into keeping the algae down. Adding some more fish and increasing feeding can reduce the need for the Neo products with the benefit of providing some additional organic carbon. Careful though. Overstocking or overfeeding and encourage Cyano.
Understand. I feed the tank pretty good and the total number of fish in the tank is 12 with a planned two more. With the addition of more snail and the urchins, I think the algae won’t be a problem. Already seeing big clean spots where they are working. My big worry is not letting the numbers zero out and Dinos or cyano getting started. I’ll test everyday and see how the dosing affects the numbers.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I started dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro daily on 11 Sept and here are my numbers. Using Hanna Nitrate and ULR Phosphate.

11 Sept. NO3 1.7 PO4 0.00 (this was before first dose)
12 Sept 2.7 0.00
13 Sept 4.0 0.00
14 Sept 5.6 0.04

Now that I have the phosphate reading again, should I stop dosing and see what happens, or continue a low dose everyday. I also added more snails and two urchins who are helping remove some of the algae in the system.

Jetson

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chart didn’t work right

11 Sept. NO3. 1.7. PO4. 0.00 (prior to first dose)
12 Sept. NO3. 2.7. PO4. 0.00
13 Sept. NO3. 4.0. PO4. 0.00
14 Sept. NO3. 5.6. PO4. 0.04

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chart didn’t work right

11 Sept. NO3. 1.7. PO4. 0.00 (prior to first dose)
12 Sept. NO3. 2.7. PO4. 0.00
13 Sept. NO3. 4.0. PO4. 0.00
14 Sept. NO3. 5.6. PO4. 0.04
You want nitrates at 10 and phosphate. 05 to .1. You will have a huge struggle with SPS in a 5 month tank. Add those corals at one year or later.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want nitrates at 10 and phosphate. 05 to .1. You will have a huge struggle with SPS in a 5 month tank. Add those corals at one year or later.
Whoops! I started adding SPS this month. Actually, it’s only been 14 days since I got them and some have already grown 1/4 “ on their tips. All of them have great color. I think I’m doing okay, just didn’t expect the nutrients to be so hard to keep at a good level.

Not real good at taking pictures yet. Still trying to figure that out as well.
3D0E6E75-439E-46E4-BA4D-0FDE0F759E51.jpeg
9355AE2C-D7AB-4CF4-91EC-7CE4862CC8EE.jpeg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be beneficial if you could swap the neonitro for calcium nitrate or sodium nitrate, until the algae is under control and the tank more mature and a later stage recommence the neonitro to aid coral growth.
regarding phosphates a law it to raise to 0.05 or 0.06 and observe if is stable or if a maintenance dose is required wile new organisms grow in the system.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are RR Black Sabbath and WWC Striptease
The first picture looks like STN but I don't see algae on it so maybe not. You will know for sure in the coming weeks. If it colors up great if not then there is an issue. If parameters are not stable it can take some weeks before corals show the full affects of stress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture looks like STN. You will know for sure in the coming weeks. If parameters are not stable it can take some weeks before corals show the full affects of stress.
I’m thinking it’s just my inability to take a good picture. It looks very healthy in person.
DB488E25-E512-45F6-B398-6BECD5A2346D.jpeg
614DD9AF-EE1C-4157-A774-058427666AB5.jpeg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be beneficial if you could swap the neonitro for calcium nitrate or sodium nitrate, until the algae is under control and the tank more mature and a later stage recommence the neonitro to aid coral growth.
regarding phosphates a law it to raise to 0.05 or 0.06 and observe if is stable or if a maintenance dose is required wile new organisms grow in the system.
Why swap neonitro, just curious?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why swap neonitro, just curious?
It’s in the bottle instructions, neonitro is not designed to raise nutrients, it’s designed to raise nitrogen in aquaria that is beneficial to aid coral growth and by effect algae as they require the same type of nutrients. In a system with not enough coral to assimilate the nitrogen algae can quickly grow if present and utilise those nutrients.
This product will only become nitrates if no algae is present and if the system is carbon limited. (There is more variables to take in account here)

on the other hand calcium nitrate and sodium nitrate are beneficial and more effective due to the major part of the chemical being inorganic, raising nitrates much more efficiently.
I say major as both will still contain a small amount of organic nutrients in the form of nitrogen.
There is a third option that is potassium nitrate that contains nitrates, nitrogen and potassium, again in a situation we’re algae is present I would advise the use of this product as it contains potassium and one of the most important macro nutrient to aid they’re growth. Potassium nitrate is detrimental for nuisance algaes in a way but it would be beneficial for example if chaeto was not growing in a system most times they just limited by potassium or iodine.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in the bottle instructions, neonitro is not designed to raise nutrients, it’s designed to raise nitrogen in aquaria that is beneficial to aid coral growth and by effect algae as they require the same type of nutrients. In a system with not enough coral to assimilate the nitrogen algae can quickly grow if present and utilise those nutrients.
This product will only become nitrates if no algae is present and if the system is carbon limited. (There is more variables to take in account here)

on the other hand calcium nitrate and sodium nitrate are beneficial and more effective due to the major part of the chemical being inorganic, raising nitrates much more efficiently.
I say major as both will still contain a small amount of organic nutrients in the form of nitrogen.
There is a third option that is potassium nitrate that contains nitrates, nitrogen and potassium, again in a situation we’re algae is present I would advise the use of this product as it contains potassium and one of the most important macro nutrient to aid they’re growth. Potassium nitrate is detrimental for nuisance algaes in a way but it would be beneficial for example if chaeto was not growing in a system most times they just limited by potassium or iodine.
Very nice I like this explanation!!

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since I have increased my CUC and have four tangs vigorously going after the algae, how much of an effect will that have on the nutrient level. As they remove more and more algae, will that have an effect on raising the nitrate and phosphate levels leaving more available for the corals?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have increased my CUC and have four tangs vigorously going after the algae, how much of an effect will that have on the nutrient level. As they remove more and more algae, will that have an effect on raising the nitrate and phosphate levels leaving more available for the corals?
The coral can only assimilate so much nitrogen, I would believe that it would lead to a accumulation of organic nutrients that could keep the circle open in relation to the nuisance algae.

what I mean is that as the tangs eat the algae they will release back into the water column between 80 and 90 percent of the nutrients back with the addition of ammonia from the decomposition process of the fish waste.
this may become nitrates and phosphates as long as there isn’t any nuisance in the system, organisms like Cyanobacteria, dinoflagellates and other types of phytoplankton can use this nutrients to bloom if present in the system and not allow those organic nutrients to became inorganic.
There is always many variables that can influence the outcome of nutrients in a system and finding we’re they going to end is always a headache.
if no nuisance is present it should transfer to nitrates and phosphates.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral can only assimilate so much nitrogen, I would believe that it would lead to a accumulation of organic nutrients that could keep the circle open in relation to the nuisance algae.

what I mean is that as the tangs eat the algae they will release back into the water column between 80 and 90 percent of the nutrients back with the addition of ammonia from the decomposition process of the fish waste.
this may become nitrates and phosphates as long as there isn’t any nuisance in the system, organisms like Cyanobacteria, dinoflagellates and other types of phytoplankton can use this nutrients to bloom if present in the system and not allow those organic nutrients to became inorganic.
There is always many variables that can influence the outcome of nutrients in a system and finding we’re they going to end is always a headache.
if no nuisance is present it should transfer to nitrates and phosphates.
Okay, my brain just exploded. Maybe I can simplify this for myself. I have algae and I have low nutrients. Which should be my biggest concern. Or, since the algae is not really that bad and the system is only 5 months old, do I need to just sit back, smoke a lucky, continue to keep the system as clean as possible and let it continue to mature and it will work itself out over time. Corals and fish all look happy and healthy. Am I tinkering too much At this early stage?

Back