Nuvo 14 build.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been meaning to get into this lark for a good few years now, I’ve finally stopped dreaming and pulled the trigger on the Nuvo 14g peninsula, it’s a lot smaller than I always thought I would go for but a bigger tank just had me feeling it would be to much to handle, not to mention the cost of a larger setup, the cost does shoot up quickly, all those little items soon adds up.

Really happy with my choice on the Nuvo.

So my planed build is as follows, please suggest changes if you feel there is a better alternative.
Planning on mainly, if not all LPS corals, 2 clowns and an undecided 3rd fish

Nuvo 14 gallon peninsula
Kessil a80 with controller
Eheim 50w (not sure if 50w will be enough so got 2)
Inkbird temp controller
Tunze nano ATO or micro ATO -edit Went for the Tunze
Sicce .50 return pump or would I be better with the 1.0? Edit Changed to the Eheim compact 1000 as I had trouble getting the Sicce.
Spinstream as not planning on a power head , now changed to the RFG as been recommended over the spinstream. - edit decided to run a powerhead instead, dropped the RFG for a MP10
Media basket replacing the stock filtersock
Salt Red Sea
Real reef rock 5kg
caribSea Arag-alive pink sand 5kg, any input on this would be great as I know this is important to make the correct choice, slightly concerned that as it’s alive I maybe adding unwanted life into the tank, when I could just buy dry sand and cycle for longer? Edit the alive sand didn’t could in the size I was after for picked up the non live instead.

For the cycle I am thinking Dr Tim’s with ammonia?

All comments on the above would be fantastic as I’m a total beginner here!

All suggestions on the miscellaneous items such as test kits brands et
all the items that don’t get a lot of mentions but are important to have, will be also very much welcomed.

Thanks.

6A23A608-1473-460E-B09E-D8E400070807.jpeg

Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been meaning to get into this lark for a good few years now, I’ve finally stopped dreaming and pulled the trigger on the Nuvo 14g peninsula, it’s a lot smaller than I always thought I would go for but a bigger tank just had me feeling it would be to much to handle, not to mention the cost of a larger setup, the cost does shoot up quickly, all those little items soon adds up.

Really happy with my choice on the Nuvo.

So my planed build is as follows, please suggest changes if you feel there is a better alternative.
Planning on mainly, if not all LPS corals, 2 clowns and an undecided 3rd fish

Nuvo 14 gallon peninsula
Kessil a80 with controller
Eheim 50w (not sure if 50w will be enough so got 2)
Inkbird temp controller
Tunze nano ATO
Sicce .50 return pump or would I be better with the 1.0?
Spinstream as not planning on a power head
Media basket replacing the stock filtersock
Salt Red Sea
Real reef rock 5kg
caribSea Arag-alive pink sand 5kg, any input on this would be great as I know this is important to make the correct choice, slightly concerned that as it’s alive I maybe adding unwanted life into the tank, when I could just buy dry sand and cycle for longer?

For the cycle I am thinking Dr Tim’s with ammonia?

All comments on the above would be fantastic as I’m a total beginner here!

All suggestions on the miscellaneous items such as test kits brands et
all the items that don’t get a lot of mentions but are important to have, will be also very much welcomed.

Thanks.
Sounds like a great build, I'm excited to see it come alive! I used the fiji pink sand. Some people rinse it and some people don't. I didn't, it is supposed to be packed with beneficial bacteria and had zero issues with it. I like the sand but if your expecting a to see allot of pink or pink contrast you might be disappointed. It looks great imo. You done some homework going for a contoller for your heater. I also used Dr. Tim's but just used a couple of table shrimp but allot of folks use the ammonia as well. You get the same results in the end.
Red sea and salifert kits are good. I really like the hanna alk and phosphate testers. If I had to pick between the .5 and 1.0 pump, I would go with the 1.0. The flow is adjustable so you can always dial it down or have a little more push if you feel you need it. I'm running the 2.0 in our 32 and love it.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great build, I'm excited to see it come alive! I used the fiji pink sand. Some people rinse it and some people don't. I didn't, it is supposed to be packed with beneficial bacteria and had zero issues with it. I like the sand but if your expecting a to see allot of pink or pink contrast you might be disappointed. It looks great imo. You done some homework going for a contoller for your heater. I also used Dr. Tim's but just used a couple of table shrimp but allot of folks use the ammonia as well. You get the same results in the end.
Red sea and salifert kits are good. I really like the hanna alk and phosphate testers. If I had to pick between the .5 and 1.0 pump, I would go with the 1.0. The flow is adjustable so you can always dial it down or have a little more push if you feel you need it. I'm running the 2.0 in our 32 and love it.

Thanks for the input, I’m excited too, getting the tank wet is still a while off, good that this hobby needs a load of gear as those deliveries will have to keep me going, knowing it’s getting that bit closer, with every one.

Yep loads of homework, feels like to much sometimes, just when I feel I’m on top of something, I’ll read something that has me second guessing what I thought I knew. But yeah a controller for the heater for me is a must.

The Fiji sand, sounds just what I’m after, a hint of pink is plenty.

Cycling with the prawn would be cool but the ammonia seems more controlled for me, knowing what numbers to look for rather than how much prawn to add, that would lead me to another load of homework and threads lol

The Sicce 1.0 is the same size as the 0.5, so will go for that then,makes sense if not having a power head, to have the option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update, ordered a lot of stuff yesterday, arriving tomorrow.

So that’s the Kessil and controller, rock, heaters, salt, ATO, and a water container! They didn’t stock the Sicce or the spinstream, so need to track one of those down, I’m in the UK, not a lot of places stock them, any alternative suggestions for the return pump, needs to be quiet.

With all that out of the way, just leaves me test kits, Vacuums and all that types of stuff to get, it’s coming together faster than I thought it would and I’ve not even checked out where I’m getting my fish from yet!

I’ll start adding pics soon...the dreaded scape shot I’m not looking forward too!

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update.

Still a few things to buy, finding it hard to track down a Sicce 1.0 in the U.K. from somewhere other than ebay, don’t fancy getting my pump from eBay.

My inkbird arrived, slightly bigger than I would have like for my nano, but I’m sure I’ll be able to hide it well enough.

Bought a powerhead for salt mixing, also I ordered the real reef rock early so will need to cure that, so setting that up tomorrow,

The list of stuff to buy never seems to be getting shorter...

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might ask the question on your pump in this thread. You might get some good alternatives to the sicce.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might ask the question on your pump in this thread. You might get some good alternatives to the sicce.

Thanks, just checked out another pump, I think I’ll go for the Eheim compactON 1000 should fit.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the random flow generating nozzle aka RFG nozzle from vivid creative aquatics beats out that noisy spin stream any day of the week, return asap and get yourself an rfg nozzle, its one of the best mods I did to my nuvo10

Really! Luckily it’s one of the items I’m still to buy, so thanks I’ll look into one of those. Does the nozzle fit straight onto the return outlet or do I need to get an adapter? Thanks.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just checked out another pump, I think I’ll go for the Eheim compactON 1000 should fit.
The Eheims are nice little pumps and very quiet so you should be fine with that. I’ve had a few of the 1000s and run the 2100 version on a UVC and even that’s virtually silent.

When buying your equipment if you haven’t already, check out Charterhouse Aquatics, their pretty much the cheapest prices anywhere and have excellent service.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Eheims are nice little pumps and very quiet so you should be fine with that. I’ve had a few of the 1000s and run the 2100 version on a UVC and even that’s virtually silent.

When buying your equipment if you haven’t already, check out Charterhouse Aquatics, their pretty much the cheapest prices anywhere and have excellent service.

That’s where I got my Nuvo, love the site, very easy to navigate. The only improvement I could suggest for the perfect online store would be if they had an option for pickup locations, for deliveries.

Thanks for the info on the Eheim, puts my mind at rest as I was set on the Sicce, the reviews for the Eheim seems just as good as those for the Sicce, if not better.

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait for some pictures, sound like it gonna be an awesome build. As far as test kits I like Red Sea test kits. Easy to read.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With such a small water volume I would keep it to two fish. In this size tank your water parameters will change rapidly. So stick with simple hardy corals. Zoa's are great bunch in a small tank will give you a lot of color and are really hardy. You will have to keep up on your water parameters and make sure when you do a water change that you have well mixed and matched the temperature of the water to the tank water.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With such a small water volume I would keep it to two fish. In this size tank your water parameters will change rapidly. So stick with simple hardy corals. Zoa's are great bunch in a small tank will give you a lot of color and are really hardy. You will have to keep up on your water parameters and make sure when you do a water change that you have well mixed and matched the temperature of the water to the tank water.

Stocking wise, my aim is 3, but I’ll see if the tank can cope with that many, I’ll start with 1 and wait a good month or 2, add another, see how the tank copes with that, then consider a third

I will be doing weekly water changes, the size is still up in the air, I’m thinking 50% for the first few months to see how that goes, I would prefer to do large changes but have concerns about how the fish will react to them, matching ph etc

any advice on how fish cope with big water changes?

Ive watched a lot of videos where 50-95% water changes take place using nsw, but the temp of the water, ph etc don’t seem to be considered, has me slightly confused, on the affect of water changes.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s where I got my Nuvo, love the site, very easy to navigate. The only improvement I could suggest for the perfect online store would be if they had an option for pick locations, for deliveries.

Thanks for the info on the Eheim, puts my mind at rest as I was set on the Sicce, the reviews for the Eheim seems just as good as those for the Sicce, if not better.
They use DPD for deliveries so when you get the delivery notice you can change it. And one of the things you can change is for DPD to deliver to one of their delivery locations, which is usually a shop somewhere close by.

I've purchased virtually all of my new tank equipment from them and there very helpful especially James who works there. Any problems they will sort it for you.

On water changes, if your not having corals (which are very sensitive to changes in water parameters) fish are a little more tolerant but just make sure you don’t get large changes to salinity or temperature. A 10% water change every week is a good guide as this will have little impact on water parameters. 15-20% maybe. Anymore and you need to be a little more careful unless you have good reason to do a major water change

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use DPD for deliveries so when you get the delivery notice you can change it. And one of the things you can change is for DPD to deliver to one of their delivery locations, which is usually a shop somewhere close by.

I've purchased virtually all of my new tank equipment from them and there very helpful especially James who works there. Any problems they will sort it for you.

On water changes, if your not having corals (which are very sensitive to changes in water parameters) fish are a little more tolerant but just make sure you don’t get large changes to salinity or temperature. A 10% water change every week is a good guide as this will have little impact on water parameters. 15-20% maybe. Anymore and you need to be a little more careful unless you have good reason to do a major water change

thanks for that info on Charterhouse/DPD didn’t know that, that’ll come in very handy!

I was thinking as it was a Nano bigger water changes were needed, looks like I need to rethink that.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back