Obsession: Your reef is better because you quit doing this?

Do you have obsessions that you think could be unhealthy for your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 110 31.3%
  • NO

Votes: 162 46.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 75 21.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with maybe as opposed to yes because... I've now stopped testing every 8 minutes, changing water every 15 minutes, glass cleaning every 23 minutes, dosing this and that every 34-56 seconds all the while reading every piece of advice (good, bad and weird advice!) continuously... that all the tanks have now settled and are enjoying some piece and quiet :p
Right on! My tank always looks better when I return from a trip. I need to stop messing with it when I’m home but it’s just so fun.

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea! I’m still new to this so i’m worried all the time for Alk, Mag, Cal, Phos, Nitrate, pH, Sg, and questions like ”why is that Zoa polyp closed, is the water not ok? and the list goes on and on. I’m trying to relax and only enjoy my tank.
If you use good salt that has all the elements your tank needs you really don’t need to worry about all that.

joshbpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quit going to my LFS for RODI and bought my own 4-stage RODI system. It's tough to use around a Brooklyn apartment, but has saved me so much time, money, and headache
I’m in NYC, too, and know the struggle is real. I have mine hooked up to one of those adapters on my sink that lets you turn a valve to use RO/DI, then off for the sink. Then I have the unit on my counter, up against the wall with the tubes running behind the sink. It’s amazing to be able to make water at any time.
I'm also in a tiny Brooklyn apartment. I recently bought a 4-stage system from Aquatic Life. Its portable: it can be set up/dismantled in about 2 minutes. I thought it'd be a huge hassel, but is quite easy, and dramatically improved my tank.

Attachments

• DE7B1795-2C57-4699-A23B-E3BE63C7C8F4.jpeg
    DE7B1795-2C57-4699-A23B-E3BE63C7C8F4.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 27

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes. As a beginner I'd read a lot about how bad nutrients were for a reef tanks, but didn't realise what would happen if you have no nutrients. A serious attack of the gunge put me on the right track, and I now dose AFR and only change enough water to keep nutrients at the right levels.
Right there with you. All I do is dose AFR to keep numbers solid and just enjoy it. My tank has literally been on autopilot for well over 8 months.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quit trying to rush things and got lighting used by most coral propagation operations. Also started regular water changes every week period-no more skipping. Huge difference! Changed from Coral Pro or Blue bucket to FRITZ blue box. Quit looking at algae as something to get rid of. Corals are always looking better when I have some algae on the rock. As long as it is some tufts here and there and not taking over.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in that boat now. I am ready for my next toy. As you may notice, had 2 evos in the last 14 years. Sold it and itching to get in my next toy. Wifey is forcing me to wait or sell the tank and I can then pick one up. I rather wait anyway. Not sure if I want the new Z, Supra A91, Audi s5 sportback or go old school with a R32/R33.

Tank is staying around. Too much invested and the other toy will sit in the garage most of it's life now that I work from home and I have a beater to do the crap jobs.
FLEX much

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I had to learn to leave things alone cuz everyday I'd be moving coral trying to find that perfect spot it like only to kill it from stress

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy Julian Sprungs book, and spend the time you would spend screwing with your tank reading the book. If you quit screwing with your tank, stop adding gear and livestock someone says you need and stick to the basics, you will be happier with your results.
what is the name of this book?

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your reef is better because you quit doing this?​

I quit taking the advice of 22yr white males with 6mos reefing experience

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes. As a beginner I'd read a lot about how bad nutrients were for a reef tanks, but didn't realise what would happen if you have no nutrients. A serious attack of the gunge put me on the right track, and I now dose AFR and only change enough water to keep nutrients at the right levels.
I recently stopped doing water changes on my Biocube 32 recently and dose BRS 2 Part, have gfo, and a protein skimmer for nutrient import and removal. What are you currently doing?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great!! I was thinking about using GFO so I’m glad you said this!
I have always used gfo in the form of chemipure elite. My corals dont really do all that well and I lose so many frags even though I have perfect paramters except nitrates! That is the reason for gfo. How do you keep nitrates in check? I have 2 small tanks so no room for fuge or reactors or anything.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m exactly like this. Struggeling to not put my hands in my aquarium. I swear i get my hands wet a minimum five times a day. Measuring every other day. It’s an obsession. Working on leaving things alone.
That is my new resolution for 2022! Keep my hands out of the tank! They are literally in there several times daily! I got rid of my hawkfish thinking her was knocking my corals off but found out it was more the fighting conchs and not him! He was my fave fish too but was a a fish murderer! But one with a lot of personality! I miss him coming up to greet me all the time. He would just sit and stare at me at my desk whenever I am in my den which is a lot! ! LOL

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. For months I tried every Co2 scrubber I could get my hands on and every kind of Soda Lime I could get too. My pH would not go above 8 and was usually around 7.8. (We have 5 people and 3 cats giving off a lot of Co2 and in Florida you don’t open windows in the summer months (mid March- mid October).

i finally decided to build my own Co2 scrubber and it has worked like a charm. Ph is stable at 8.25-8.35, night and day respectively.

in this case my obsession bellied.
I have the same problem living in florida! I was thinking of buying a co2 scrubber. How in the heck did you build your own if you dont mind me asking?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped rippin cigs all day
Serioulsy? Are you speaking of smokin them right? I smoke in my room where the tank is and always have and have wondered if the smoke had an effect. I see it up under the leds. What kind of effect has this had? I want to put a glass cover but afraid it would lower ph because thats easer then quitting smoking! LOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem living in florida! I was thinking of buying a co2 scrubber. How in the heck did you build your own if you dont mind me asking?
It’s fairly easy. Pm me and I’ll send you some of the pics I took of the process

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back