Ocean Front In Cade 1500S2

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading, researching, watching videos, and challenging myself, I’m in the process of switching from a 75 gallon discus tank to a reef tank. Well, at first it will be fish until I can maintain stable parameters for coral, but a reef tank is the long view. I spent a few months deliberating over tank options and at one point had placed an order on a Red Sea AIO I was told would arrive within a week. Fortunately, it was then delayed two months, so I canceled that order. A long, shallow reef (60”x20”x16”) sounded good, but couldn’t find exactly what I wanted. Then I had to consider weight on my living room floor. The 75 gallon was fine for weight, but now that it’s found a fabulous new home, the reef tank won’t fit in its old spot.

I finally pulled the trigger and I’m taking delivery of a Cade 1500 S2 this week. I have a much underutilized finished basement, so that’s my new reef place. I had a section of carpet 7’ x 4.5’ taken out and replaced with waterproof vinyl plank. The flooring matches my wet bar area, and is directly across the room, making it fit right in! Also as a bonus, the tank will be up against a wall for a large mechanical room, giving me lots of space for a mixing station, eye level controller board, and floor drain which should allow for an easy AWC system.

So after months of excitement about my new adventure, I am now terrified and frankly, a little bit queasy. Tank is 3 or 4 days out, I’ve made arrangements with someone local for getting it in place, and I have most of the initial equipment ready. Yet I’m a little bit freaked out about what I’ve started!

I’d like to thank Rachel and John @algeabarn for their fabulous customer support as I went back and forth on tank sizes. Have not started an aquascape yet as Algae Barn is kindly sending rock with the tank as part of a start up package with other necessary items. I don’t have an LFS other than Petco, but I may check to see what they have in terms of some live rock I can use as well. Sand is also included in my start up package, and now I’m considering whether or not I will use it. I like the clean up ease of bare bottom tanks, but also want some sand burrowing fish and inverts. Maybe a marine plant of some type to help with nutrients until I get corals started. Then move the plant to a smaller macro algae tank. Obviously I’m not sure which way I’m going with that yet...but will probably use sand for some biodiversity in aquatic life.

OK, so the tank and stand will arrive this week. I have two BRS 600 w titanium heaters with controller, two AI Prime HD 16s with 18” flexible goosenecks, Sicce SDC 9.0 for return pump, and two Maxspect XF330 Gyres with controller. I initially purchased the flow and lights with a smaller tank in mind, so will add more light and exchange the gyres for higher flow models. Will stick with Maxspect I think.

If anyone has suggestions, recommendations, or other helpful input I’m grateful to you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Tomorrow, I’ll be making a Lowe’s trip to pick up two 55 gallon Brute containers with lids. Will also grab a couple of inexpensive hot water heater stands since they’ll overall be less expensive than getting wooden stands made. Also pick up some Pex and Sharkbite connections for the mixing station. Have on hand a 7 stage water saver BRS RODI with a booster pump. Went 7 stage because the TDS from my tap is 320. Yuck!!!

Questions
- Do I need the Brute containers on stands? What is the value of stand vs no stand?
- Has anyone tried sand on one side and bare bottom on the other side in their tank? What were the pros and cons of that arrangement if you’ve tried it?
- Does anyone use a Maxspect XF330 with 3/4” glass? I read some comments that the magnet fails for 1/2”, so I’m just curious if they will work. I’m thinking since I have two 330’s, I can put one on each end and manage enough flow. Just wondering about holding power before I get them wet. Would like to return them still in the box if the magnets truly have an issue with thicker glass as I’ve read. Anything people using them can share is much appreciated!

I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank for new arrivals and a 5 gallon mini hospital tank if needed. The 10 gallon has unfortunately become a long term stay situation for a couple young snowflake clowns and a couple damsels after the first tank was delayed and subsequently canceled. Everyone has been doing well, but they’ll be thrilled to move to their larger home hopefully by the end of the month! Obviously not an ideal situation currently, and other than some fluctuations in parameters more related to coral needs, they’ve had a stable and healthy environment during my ocean front property development process.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
great setup and very exciting times! For the water station, the stand is a good idea because you can drain at the bottom if needed (Clean out, maintenance). Just make sure the stand is rated for the weight of your bins.
For the sand question, not sure how you would keep the sand on one side only and keep from spreading around with the water flow/movement you’ll need happening.

Post some pics when you are set up!

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I get that exact same feeling - new tank that I hype myself up for, and finally pull the trigger on it after months. Then before it arrives I'm stressing hard at what I just committed too lol

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I get that exact same feeling - new tank that I hype myself up for, and finally pull the trigger on it after months. Then before it arrives I'm stressing hard at what I just committed too lol
Exactly!! So excited for the adventure and then when adventure is imminent, sudden panic. Kind of like getting to the top of a giant roller coaster, about to go over the first massive drop.

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today, after getting a cast on my arm , I ordered the Maxspect XF350 gyres, and prepared the 330’s for return. I’m hoping the magnet with the 350s will hold with 15mm glass. I also ordered the Hydros Wave Engine ETM WiFi for the gyres. My tank is almost here and I’m ready to set up my 7 stage RODI from BRS. Planned to pick up a few necessary parts today, but the rain and new cast mix didn’t work out. Fell back in March and my doc kept saying my wrist wasn’t broken and just needed time to heal. Finally made my own appointment with an orthopedic doc, he did an MRI instead of just an X-ray, and yeah, it’s got a break as well as a torn ligament. Not good timing at all!!! But hopefully the cast will allow stuff to heal so I can push forward! First cast in my nearly 60 years of life... Always an adventure of one sort or another!!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at some of the equipment specifications on your new system. Very impressive. With that sizable investment, I assume you are in for the long haul. With that said, for maximum diversity and system stability I suggest you use some diver collected uncured live rock and live sand.

I recently set up a 55G tank on a similar theme as your discuss/plant aquarium using ornamental and utility seaweed/macroalgae.

The last two pictures include some of the Gulf Live Rock in 75G 25 year mature tank. First group of picture are 55G tank < 2 months mature with live rock 1 month removed from 30’ of water 30 miles west of Tampa Bay.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at some of the equipment specifications on your new system. Very impressive. With that sizable investment, I assume you are in for the long haul. With that said, for maximum diversity and system stability I suggest you use some diver collected uncured live rock and live sand.

I recently set up a 55G tank on a similar theme as your discuss/plant aquarium using ornamental and utility seaweed/macroalgae.

The last two pictures include some of the Gulf Live Rock in 75G 25 year mature tank. First group of picture are 55G tank < 2 months mature with live rock 1 month removed from 30’ of water 30 miles west of Tampa Bay.
Very nice planted tank! Yes, I’m in it for the long haul. Initially thought I’d start smaller, but knew I’d want to upgrade to a larger size, so just decided to go big from the start. I ordered live sand, and a local reefer that’s had a nice reef tank for 15 years has offered some live rock. I’m a little hesitant to get rock from someone else’s tank, but it will probably introduce fewer pests than I’m imagining. I have worst case scenario syndrome at this point!!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice planted tank! Yes, I’m in it for the long haul. Initially thought I’d start smaller, but knew I’d want to upgrade to a larger size, so just decided to go big from the start. I ordered live sand, and a local reefer that’s had a nice reef tank for 15 years has offered some live rock. I’m a little hesitant to get rock from someone else’s tank, but it will probably introduce fewer pests than I’m imagining. I have worst case scenario syndrome at this point!!

There is a very large segment of reefers that seek elimination of pest by limiting biodiversity. That is my divide. I am off the belief that fish and marine invertebrates thrive on diversity.

Let’s talk about your system. Biofiltration means more than nitrification bacteria. After Reefing for 50 years, I have embraced reverse flow undergravel filter with 1.5” of special reef grade aroggonite. By supplying oxygen rich water in the plenum under the sand, no anorobic sulfide zones exist.

Once your tank is cycled with nitrification bacteria and some bio load is established, I suggest you add diversity of detrivores into your system. Unless your live sand is from a mature reef tank or diver collected, it will only have bacteria. I use diver collected sand & rock for those purposes. Another source of detrivores is IndoPacific SeaFarm

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of your threads, you mentioned a quarantine tank. Consider a permanent ornamental seaweed lagoon for this purpose. In the event, you must treat fish with copper you will decimate your nitrifying bacteria. With macroalgae/seaweed, fish waste of ammonia will be processed and copper in water will be absorbed into macroalgae tissue.

During your travels in the Navy, did you acquire a taste for seaweed. If so, check out Tang Heaven Red at IndoPacific SeaFarm. Also known as Red Ogo. This is Gracilaria Parvispora. When I retired as a Subsea Engineer, I grew Red Ogo commercially in a 20’ by 40’ greenhouse to sell to Asian restaurants here in Austin. Unfortunately, because makeup water came from an aquifer high in sulfur, the taste was affected.

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a very large segment of reefers that seek elimination of pest by limiting biodiversity. That is my divide. I am off the belief that fish and marine invertebrates thrive on diversity.

Let’s talk about your system. Biofiltration means more than nitrification bacteria. After Reefing for 50 years, I have embraced reverse flow undergravel filter with 1.5” of special reef grade aroggonite. By supplying oxygen rich water in the plenum under the sand, no anorobic sulfide zones exist.

Once your tank is cycled with nitrification bacteria and some bio load is established, I suggest you add diversity of detrivores into your system. Unless your live sand is from a mature reef tank or diver collected, it will only have bacteria. I use diver collected sand & rock for those purposes. Another source of detrivores is IndoPacific SeaFarm

I’m all on board for biodiversity in my tank as long as it’s able to stay balanced. I just don’t want anything in there to negatively impact the reef inhabitants. As I’m sure is the same with most folks!

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of your threads, you mentioned a quarantine tank. Consider a permanent ornamental seaweed lagoon for this purpose. In the event, you must treat fish with copper you will decimate your nitrifying bacteria. With macroalgae/seaweed, fish waste of ammonia will be processed and copper in water will be absorbed into macroalgae tissue.

During your travels in the Navy, did you acquire a taste for seaweed. If so, check out Tang Heaven Red at IndoPacific SeaFarm. Also known as Red Ogo. This is Gracilaria Parvispora. When I retired as a Subsea Engineer, I grew Red Ogo commercially in a 20’ by 40’ greenhouse to sell to Asian restaurants here in Austin. Unfortunately, because makeup water came from an aquifer high in sulfur, the taste was affected.
Despite all my time living by the ocean, including Taiwan and Okinawa growing up, I never developed a taste for seaweed. one of my dogs loves it though!!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A seaweed loving dog. Go figure.

I first eat seaweed as a garnish in Ceviche recipe. It was so popular, I got invited to parties. Here in Austin, it is in vogue.

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A seaweed loving dog. Go figure.

I first eat seaweed as a garnish in Ceviche recipe. It was so popular, I got invited to parties. Here in Austin, it is in vogue.
Its definitely a popular edible for many, just not a flavor I like. But when my dog hears the Nori wrapper to feed the tank, she comes running!!

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cade 1500 S2 arrived Wednesday, and yesterday it was brought from the garage to my basement! Yay!!!! Not wanting to deal with expected spills, drips, and all that on my carpet, I removed an area for the tank and replaced it with waterproof vinyl plank. A bit under the weather, so I haven’t progressed much beyond placement and taking all my equipment for it downstairs, stacked on and around the wet bar. Hopefully will be back to full strength soon so I can get this fabulous tank going!! Here is a photo of what I’m hopeful will eventually be a thriving reef tank! Also included the soon to be installed tank equipment, and the mechanical room space directly behind the tank that I’m hoping to convert into a fish/equipment area and water mixing station. This is a completely new adventure for me, and after months of reading and videos, I‘m only beginning to realize how much more I have to learn! So I appreciate any and all helpful advice along the way.

766E0B5C-D43C-4FC7-8F02-CA1301529EAC.jpeg 48E845DF-ED19-4078-A729-143D5AA983A6.jpeg A073CC58-CC05-427E-94F7-1D8491476C5E.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[I’m only beginning to realize how much more I have to learn! So I appreciate any and all helpful advice along the way.]

You have a good attitude to realize how deep the water gets. As a marine engineer and Waste Water Superintenden, I learned the chemistry of nutrient recycling using activated sludge bacteria. However, as an addicted reefer of 50 years, I embraced the science of the reef. It became apparent to me that a holistic
approach was required. To that end I have embraced the “coral holobiont”: coral crosstalk with bacteria and coral, bacteria in biofilm on macroalgae surfaces crosstalk with bacteria in in seaweed biomass to respond to environmental changes.

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank build has progressed and the cycle is complete. I used the Fritz Turbostart 900 with the Algae Barn Nitrocycle that Algae Barn kindly provided with the Cade. It’s definitely both turbo and nitro in getting the cycle wrapped up!! No leaks, although I have to make a slight plumbing adjustment. I had a very kind local reefer assist me with the plumbing modification I’m making, and unfortunately there was a mix up in the overflow. I’ll be correcting that this weekend, and back on track for occupants by the end of the month. I’m planning a “mix and match“ package from IPSF to get biodiversity in the tank as well. I’ve also been tuning in my Maxspect gyre placement to get good flow established. I’ve tried a few spots with different flow patterns, and I think I’ll be going with vertical placement in opposing corners of the tank. Still testing flow patterns, and will no doubt end up adjusting those as I add coral. Little steps each day, and progress moves along! Photos of the tank filled, tank cycling in the previously under utilized basement area, and the start of the tank mod. Will post further tank mod and sump room photos once I’ve completed wire management!!

Attachments

• D91E13E1-44FB-4D00-A128-4EF473291E7D.jpeg
    D91E13E1-44FB-4D00-A128-4EF473291E7D.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 8783B232-18E3-4EED-B833-680E9AD759CB.jpeg
    8783B232-18E3-4EED-B833-680E9AD759CB.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 15E37478-7847-460B-9818-B35288219804.jpeg
    15E37478-7847-460B-9818-B35288219804.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 78

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back