• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Octo Pulse 2 Anemone Guard Prototype

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my Octo Pulse 2 pumps out of the tank the other day for cleaning and I was thinking I should make some Anemone guards! Well here it is hot off the printer. This is a direct replacement for the cover that comes with it. This is in black ABS. Probably should be black PETG which is less likely to crack with all the thin walls in the print. Haven't tested it for flow ...don't have an Anemone, but hey you never know! It does connect nicely in place of the stock cover. Holes are 5mm x 6mm high Does that seem like a good size to protect an Anemone from getting sucked in?
IMG_4607[1].jpg

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been messing around with the design. Made the holes smaller as a 'just in case the others were too large'. I also made the cage around the prop rounder which gives the outside of the cage more surface area which reduces suction pressure through each hole.. So I will see how this prints up. Old version on the left with the newer version on the right.. Anyone actually use Octo pulse 2 pumps besides me and is there a need for Anem guard?

holes on the newer style are 2mm wide x 4mm tall

IMG_4646[1].JPG

IMG_4646[1].JPG

Texas_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ran across this doing random searches hahaha, I had a nem try to make its escape and got into my pulse 2 when my salinity got out of order. Luckily they had been off for a month prior when I was testing some other flow options. However I control them with my apex and as a precaution I went to unplug the pump just so it wouldn’t get shreaded in a freak accident, well the freak accident was me i unplugged the 0-10v wire first and the pump immediately turned on..... lets just say I was cleaning new choweder out of the tank for the next hour.

How did the flow change with the covers you printed?

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your nem :(
I have one running on the tank now as I was curious about the flow also. The Octo is pretty targeted narrow stream as you know. This does broaden it out and disperse it a little more as some of the water exits the holes around the center ring. On my 48" wide tank it still has no trouble moving a lot water to the other side at about 3/4 power running on my apex.

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The design would be easy to modify too if someone wanted a very targeted narrow flow. It wouldn't be hard to make the circle a little bigger and close up the large side holes and make it more of a funnel nozzle. I was actually trying to make something which would disperse the flow slightly.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back