Odd SPS tip recession.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone can help me out with this odd issue. My starting Alk was 6.8, my current alk is 7.5(trident/hanna) (raised over a week or two). My NO3 was 45 (now ~25) (Salifert) my PO4 is .09 (hovers between .02-.11) (Hanna). As soon as I raise my ALK above 7.2 some of my acros that were showing growth begin to recede. Normally, I would think that the recession is caused by low NO3 or PO4 but I test my parameters pretty often and both NO3 and PO4 are pretty high by anyone's standards. If anyone has any Ideas as to why I might be getting this odd recession on some of the acros I would really appreciate it.

A few things that I could think of are
1. Zinc - My zinc is slightly elevated. However, I do not see any issues until my alk goes up. Otherwise my Triton ICP is all green. ( I also did a water change just in case)
2. I had to replace my calcium reactor media last week. ( No significant alk spike)

Any help of thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue. I’d I went over 7 for a lil bit of burnt tips, so I decided I’ll just stay between 6-7, no issues since

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have some pictures?

Sorry for the blurry picture, but here is an example. I don't get this on all of my corals, just a select few.
0.jpg

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue. I’d I went over 7 for a lil bit of burnt tips, so I decided I’ll just stay between 6-7, no issues since
Hmm sounds like you were having the same exact problem. How is your growth? and how high are your nutrients and your Par, if you don't mind me asking.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like ALK burn to me, do the corals rebound if you bring the ALK back down to 7.0?
If so I agree with tehmadreefer just keep it lower, and everything should be good.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like ALK burn to me, do the corals rebound if you bring the ALK back down to 7.0?
If so I agree with tehmadreefer just keep it lower, and everything should be good.
I guess s I can try that out. It's just odd to me that 7.5 could cause this.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you carbon dosing or gfo or zeovit? I got tissue recession like that trying to keep no3/po4 low and stable. I haven’t had any issues like that since I got rid of all the nutrient strippers.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm sounds like you were having the same exact problem. How is your growth? and how high are your nutrients and your Par, if you don't mind me asking.

no idea on par. I have an 8 bulb t5 about 5 inches over a 180. My po4 runs .1-.15 and no3 is about 20 or so. Growth depends as some grow quick while others slow. But I have lil frags as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back