Office Nano

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a NUVO 10 and the thread is here. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tehsacs-nuvo-10.281525/

I love these little tanks and well I recently moved into a new office, and I have copious amounts of desk space. So what does an addicted reef keeper do? Yep that’s right, he sets up another tank, and another build thread.

I picked up the used tank and some black sand from a local reefer a couple weeks back. The plan is to keep this tank a soft coral tank. My biggest issue right now is the placement of the tank. Below are two photos of where it could sit in my office. I’d love to be able to see it daily, and give my co-workers something to look at as well. However it will be sitting right next to a south facing window. The other spot would be over my left shoulder. I’d have to turn around to admire the tank, but would possibly be better in terms of temperature issues. Anyway I’d love to hear your thoughts. Convince me of one spot over the other.

As for the tank specs:

IM NUVO 10

IM Filter Sock

IM 18 Watt Skkye Light

Stock Pump

Eheim 50 Watt Heater

8-10 LBS of BRS Reef Ssaver Dry Rock

3-4 Lbs of Black sand mixed with 3-4 lbs of Caribsea Bimini Pink sand.

Livestock:

Xenia

Toadstool

Devils Hand Leather

Green Star Polyps

Various Zoa’s

Various Mushrooms

Purple Gorgonian

Fiji Yellow

Blue Plating Sponge (Eventually)

Green Clown Goby

Midas Blenny

1.jpg

2.jpg

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!
It might be a bit too small for a midas blenny, but it might work if it was still young.

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would replace the clown goby with a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. They are really fun to watch. Just my two cents.

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me and I had it to the right of the computer like in your first picture, I would never get any work done! I'd have to go with the other option, lol!

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would replace the clown goby with a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. They are really fun to watch. Just my two cents.

That was a thought. I like the pink spotted watchman gobies.

In your opinion where would you place the tank?

If it were me and I had it to the right of the computer like in your first picture, I would never get any work done! I'd have to go with the other option, lol!

LOL that's what my boss said.

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion where would you place the tank?
As cool as it would be to have a tank on your desk, I would pick spot two. The first spot would probably get too hot. I wouldn't risk it.
Also, tank full of water = possibly wet table
You wouldn't want your computer or important papers getting wet.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool little tank!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second placement in the corner would probably be best.I love the look of real sunlight in a aquarium,however it would create a water hazard.You may want to go with just the sacro or the devil's hand.Both of those corals will quickly outgrow the space provided.I would reconsider the xenia altogether. Having a nano in your office is a wonderful idea,best of luck!

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second placement in the corner would probably be best.I love the look of real sunlight in a aquarium,however it would create a water hazard.You may want to go with just the sacro or the devil's hand.Both of those corals will quickly outgrow the space provided.I would reconsider the xenia altogether. Having a nano in your office is a wonderful idea,best of luck!

Sacro? Why would you reconsider the xenia?

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the toad stool.I would reconsider the xenia simply because I have a 20 gallon tank swarming with the stuff now.I had to relocate all the corals I could.

TylerMoralez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new adventure!

Personally, I would go with the 2nd space option, as you might get too crowded with paperwork on a busy day and simply because it creates a sort of focal point when the tank stands alone.

Can't wait to see where this goes!

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the toad stool.I would reconsider the xenia simply because I have a 20 gallon tank swarming with the stuff now.I had to relocate all the corals I could.

Gotcha. If I did keep xenia I'd keep it on a separate rock, just like green star polyps. I was only planning on adding them for the movement. I might substitute one of those with some clove polyps. May drop the devils hand and yellow fiji, and just keep a toadstool with the other corals mentioned above. I prefer the look of the toadstool over the devils hand.

Congrats on the new adventure!

Personally, I would go with the 2nd space option, as you might get too crowded with paperwork on a busy day and simply because it creates a sort of focal point when the tank stands alone.

Can't wait to see where this goes!

That's what I'm leaning towards. I've already moved it over there. It was a bit too cramped with three monitors.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to beat pulsing xenia for movement.Just be sure to keep it trimmed so that you don't end up with a sea of it,lol.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running a week now and I brought in my supplies today to check on things and do a waterchange. I set this tank up with some live sand and some already established "dirty" water. Looking at the tank today there was already some diatoms on the sand and rocks. Testing things everything is in full cycle for sure. Hopefully it will be a quick one.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back