Indo gold (or hologram? How to tell?) hammer

I really need a cam filter.

Regmanabq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little advice from the euphyllia crowd would be appreciated; Otherwise maybe this is a great brag about mine! ;J)

I got this Hammer as my first coral back in June when I got two clowns and some crabs to start stocking this new biocube tank that was started April 1st. So basically 7ish months in the tank now and up until Nov it was the only poor coral going through all the ugly stage fun of the first 8 months! He's been a little trooper putting up with all my noob mistakes!

It started out as just s small little two head (splitting into three) small little hammer. But man it's grown into this huge garantuan with six heads that are quickly becoming 8.

He's starting to outgrow the area I stuck him in and now i'm thinking of fragging him down to two sets of three heads each and maybe starting a euphillia garden on the right side overflow of the tank where we have a really nice arch to stack them and I can offer flow from both directions.

All seems to be going well? He seems super happy??

BUT it always worries me that when I bought him, one reason was that he was this nice perfect half sphere less than the size of my fist. Now he stretches out to be almost 7 inches across in any direction and he's starting to suck up 1/4 of this small tank!

It's all or nothing with this guy. He's either retracted for bed time or fully extended as much as possible for the rest of the day!

I've tried different flow, different positions in the tank, it's always the same. I would think that is a good thing?

But then I see all these amazing pictures of hammers and I just wonder if he shouldn't be as extended. His cousins don't all seem to spread out as much as possible.

So, some feedback for the new reefer? Is this guy loving life or should he be a little less .... rotund? l0l

MC Hammer first day in tank.jpg MC Hammer left side.jpg MC Hammer naked out of water.jpg MC Hammer retracted a little.jpg MC Hammer right side.jpg MC taking up half the tank!.jpg

Last edited:

Dodger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little advice from the euphyllia crowd would be appreciated; Otherwise maybe this is a great brag about mine! ;J)

I got this Hammer as my first coral back in June when I got two clowns and some crabs to start stocking this new biocube tank that was started April 1st. So basically 7ish months in the tank now and up until Nov it was the only poor coral going through all the ugly stage fun of the first 8 months! He's been a little trooper putting up with all my noob mistakes!

It started out as just s small little two head (splitting into three) small little hammer. But man it's grown into this huge garantuan with six heads that are quickly becoming 8.

He's starting to outgrow the area I stuck him in and now i'm thinking of fragging him down to two sets of three heads each and maybe starting a euphillia garden on the right side overflow of the tank where we have a really nice arch to stack them and I can offer flow from both directions.

BUT it always worries me that when I bought him, one reason was that he was this nice perfect half sphere less than the size of my fist. Now he stretches out to be almost 7 inches across in any direction and he's starting to suck up 1/4 of this small tank!

It's all or nothing with this guy. He's either retracted for bed time or fully extended as much as possible for the rest of the day!

I've tried different flow, different positions in the tank, it's always the same. I would think that is a good thing?

But then I see all these amazing pictures of hammers and I just wonder if he shouldn't be as extended. His cousins don't all seem to spread out as much as possible.

So, some feedback for the new reefer? Is this guy loving life or should he be a little less .... rotund? l0l

MC Hammer first day in tank.jpg MC Hammer left side.jpg MC Hammer naked out of water.jpg MC Hammer retracted a little.jpg MC Hammer right side.jpg MC taking up half the tank!.jpg
They close during lights off and open lights on. Sounds like they are healthy

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you’re doing great for 7 months in and you’re maintaining a consistent growth on the hammer. It came to you clean and healthy. Extension is different based on water quality and flow or the presence of food. Get some LPS pellets amd train them to have a good feeding response if you can. Tank transfer is where I see the most issues. Not the acclimating transfer part, but after a day or two You could frag it now or let it keep going. If you were going to use clippers, just be very careful close to any heads because you can fracture and split the skeleton longways through the mouth and kill it.
I like that your sandbed looks pretty clean. I feel that gravel vacuuming your sandbed is essential for a clean tank and clean live rock. I never want detritus to settle anywhere. Blast the live rock to get it out to feed your corals and clean up crew. Feel free to ask any questions. At some point people will have issues with their Euphyllia they can’t explain. It’s good to test water as frequently as possible to help you learn to connect test results with what you see in your tank.
I noticed the abq in your name, are you from the Burque? I’m an AZ cat and I always thought of opening a shop in ABQ. Phoenix is getting too big and uncomfortable. I’m up in the hills now, but I want that smaller city feel again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back