Hello everyone, first ever post on this forum! I’ll try and make it count. Thanks in advance for your help.
So I read through the 59 pages of this thread, incredible information. Some of it seems counter intuitive to me, but I have very little experience so my opinion probably isnt worth much.
Little bit of history:
So I bought my tank about 1 year and a half ago, first ever salt water aquarium, bought it with a fox face, hippo tang, 2 clowns and a chromis. Its a 90g cube aquarium that had been neglected for a while (had been running for about 7 years at the previous owner’s).
I had never owned a saltwater let alone move one. Let me tell you it was quite an experience to deal with. Anyway with the best of my abilities and limited knowledge I was able to save all the fish and the coral (kenya tree) which I was pretty proud of.
Then the fun and learning curve began. I thought the majano were zoa .. I feed them reef roids for a few weeks.. I learned what vermatid snails were, I learned what aptasias looked like. I learned how a skimmer works and so much more. I ended up loosing the tangs and the chromis about 8 months after the move, the clowns are still doing well (as far as I can tell)
I will try and keep this as short as possible (still wont be short so i’m sorry, but so thankful for the help)
Fast forward to a year and a half later (today) I want to change from my 90g cube to a 135g (72"x20"x24" roughly) because although it is bigger the shape of the tank will be less bulky in the room as the cube takes almost 40" depth.
Before I get into the actual tank transfer I have questions
1: my rocks have some vermatid snails, and I got the hair algea mostly under control but still have some. Is there a way to re use my rocks without bringing along all the undesirables?
2: I have a pretty shallow sandbed, and considering I did pretty much everything that brandon says to avoid and was "successful" in my first move, I’m wondering if it could be doable to use the sand (extensively rinsed with salt water) to "seed" new dry rocks into the new tank. I have been moving it around in the last year and syphoned it often too.
3: Is there a way for me to limit the cycle in the new tank, or am I being impatient and cheap and I should just cycle new rocks/sand and be done with it
Lets start there and hopefully build some knowledge in me.
Thank you again everyone that made it this far into my rambling! I’m all ear for your suggestions/help/concerns/insults (hopefully not)
Cheers