Old Bubble Magus reactor help

Felipe BDG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got this old used Bubble Magus calcium reactor for really cheap, it runs with a maxxijet pump for recirculation, does anyone knows what model is it? And where can I find the manual and/or someone can help me to set it up?
Thank you!

PXL_20230926_193932337.jpg PXL_20230926_193928624.jpg PXL_20230926_193908695.jpg PXL_20230926_165429523.jpg PXL_20230926_165421547.jpg PXL_20230926_165349086.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know specifically what you have but calcium reactors are all very similar. CO2 goes into them at the “bubble counter”. Tank water goes in at some other location and the calcium/alk water exits from another tube back into the tank.

Additional features may include a pH probe that sits in the lid of the reactor and that will plug into a pH meter/controller that turns on a solenoid on the CO2 regulator. People who run without pH control will have continuous CO2 dripping into the reactor and control the effluent speed to keep the reactor output stable.

Some people get a CO2 “Carbon Doser” regulator to help fine tune the flow of CO2.

To fine tune the water flow people add a dosing pump to keep the reactor running stable.

All the fine tuning is done with the addition of various control equipment (dosing pump, Carbon Doser, but these all just plug into the basic setup like the reactor you have. Look up any calcium reactor and the inputs and output locations are similar if not the same.

OP
OP
F

Felipe BDG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused by the inlets of this reactor... both co2 and water look like some odd design choices, the reactor i've seen before have both co2 and water inlets just before the recirculation pump for them to mix and the acidic water to flow through the media going up the reactor, and they may or not have the co2 recirculation outlet on the reactor lid.

This BM reactor has no inlet before the pump, have 2 conjoined hose fittings after the pump and 2 on the lid + what look like to be the water outlet of the reactor (there is a little lower chamber for the water to flow without sucking co2 bubbles). It came without hoses and I fit in the hose (as the pictures show) with the idea that the co2 inlet is the lid one (A), Co2 then flow through it (B) and suck the co2 bubbles accumulated under the lid to flow all the way to the conjoined fitting after the pump to (C), I think D is for the fresh Tank water and E is the outlet of alkalinity rich water.

The problem I see with this is: won't the pressure make the co2 accumulate under the lid instead of flowing to C? Won't E be pushing just acidic water (acidified by the fresh co2 from A) to the tank?

This is driving me crazy, I don't know if I am just overcomplicating it or just don't know enough, would love to read the manual and see how it was designed to work but I can't even find this online, let alone it's manual :confused:

Attachments

• BM.jpg
    BM.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 27

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back