Old FOWLER turning into a Reefer

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to more insanity....
Hardest adjustment going from FOWLR to Reef is the parameter stability and lighting. In A FOWLR, you do not need perfect paramaters and they can fluctuate without major losses or issues. Also, lighting is not needed to be good. Circulation/Flow probably is suitable for some corals.
Good luck! Cannot wait to see how it turns out.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Kentucky and have been running a FOWLR tank for about 15 years. So not new to saltwater tanks but very new to keeping corals. I never intended to start keeping coral but I got one for free and got hooked. I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 Chromis, 2 Clowns, a Lawnmower Blenny, and a six line wrasse. My one free coral lead to 3 more frag purchases and I killed all of them pretty quickly which made me work harder and research more. I'm trying to decide what coral to buy next that I can learn from. Water parameters, lighting, temp, salt mixes, refugium, etc is all new when keeping coral but I'm excited to learn and this forum has been helpful already. Glad to join and looking forward to learning as much as I can.
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Kentucky and have been running a FOWLR tank for about 15 years. So not new to saltwater tanks but very new to keeping corals. I never intended to start keeping coral but I got one for free and got hooked. I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 Chromis, 2 Clowns, a Lawnmower Blenny, and a six line wrasse. My one free coral lead to 3 more frag purchases and I killed all of them pretty quickly which made me work harder and research more. I'm trying to decide what coral to buy next that I can learn from. Water parameters, lighting, temp, salt mixes, refugium, etc is all new when keeping coral but I'm excited to learn and this forum has been helpful already. Glad to join and looking forward to learning as much as I can.

Welcome! Glad you joined. Yes, coral additions do take this hobby to a whole new next level of care and control. Sounds like you are doing your research, sorry for your losses but betting your next frag goes better. Keep us posted!!!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
otzhorse

otzhorse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard coral or soft coral?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Tired Good Night GIF
I think I'll do a mix of softies and LPS but I don't want softies taking over the tank so I'll be really careful with what I get. I really like the Duncan Coral.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back