OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Which species made it to around 10 years? (If you remember)

If I was to guess Ornate or Christmas and 3 spot and Melanurus simply because they're the ones I usually get. Problem with estimateing a resoanble avargae age is wrasses are a lot mor elikely to jump than other groups of fish.

OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are beautiful species. I’ve mostly seen H.Chrysurus in my place. How much of a sand bed do you normally give them?

It varies between just a trace to 2" depending on flow, activity by the animals in the systems, if it was moved around during cleaning.

OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s cool.
How’s the Flame Hawk doing? On a side note do Hawks generally take to dry food with ease? (Flakes and pellets) what about Halichoeres wrasses

I usually do not have problems with either group of fish taking pellets. Not much change on the hawk.

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your flame hawk doing? I hope he is pulling through, you had him for a long time I hope I can enjoy my fish for that long!! Thats awesome.
I love that flame hawk but always hesitant on getting one because everyone says they will eat my cleaner shrimp. Have you had him with any shrimp in your tank without issues?

OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your flame hawk doing? I hope he is pulling through, you had him for a long time I hope I can enjoy my fish for that long!! Thats awesome.
I love that flame hawk but always hesitant on getting one because everyone says they will eat my cleaner shrimp. Have you had him with any shrimp in your tank without issues?

Thank you! This one has been with a sexy shrimp fo rabout 4 months without a problem. I've had others with cleaner shrimp without any problems. But any time a shrimp or crab molts it is highly vulnerable to predation until it's new exoskeleton hardens. With cleaner shrimp you also have the issue of them killing each other off as they are monogamous.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what inverts arent safe with arceye. id like an arrowcrab but i dont want it to be eaten
Thank you! This one has been with a sexy shrimp fo rabout 4 months without a problem. I've had others with cleaner shrimp without any problems. But any time a shrimp or crab molts it is highly vulnerable to predation until it's new exoskeleton hardens. With cleaner shrimp you also have the issue of them killing each other off as they are monogamous.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are those anenomes. please dont let them be long tentacle please donnt let them be long tentacle. im sorry that your hawk might die soon. you kept him for his natural lifespan though.

Bubble tips

Long tentacles get pretty big too though.

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner and flame hawk killing each other off?
Edit: Read your post wrong I gotcha I mis understood! Maybe I’ll go for it and give it a shot I really love that flame hawk

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will it get so big that it will eat my tank except for my clarkii?

purplelongtentcleanemone2_1024x1024.jpg

OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what inverts arent safe with arceye. id like an arrowcrab but i dont want it to be eaten

It's partly going to be personality of the fish. But as to specifics I can't say as I can only remember having one Arc Eye, Flame Hawks are smaller and brighter colored and I've stuck with them.

OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update and unfortunately it's loosing weight. The angle and lighting isn't good in the picture to see but the back edge of it's skull is showing. Not a good sign in any fish. For those not familiar with this indicator how easy it is to see where a fishes skull ends is a good way to tell if a fish is overweight or underwieght. If a fish has a good body weight it should have a smooth curve from it's nose over it's face and skull and onto it's back so it can't bee seen where it's skull ends and back begins. If it's overweight most fish will show a hump on their back that starts at the end of their skull making the edge of the skull easily seen. If a fish is underweight it's back will pinched to some degree and the edge of skull can be made out. This combination of loss of weight along with reduced activity and loss of color has happened multiple times and seems to be consistant with a fish just getting old.

Flame Hawk 20210920A.jpg Flame Hawk 20210920B.jpg

OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor little guy. 17 years is a pretty long life especially for a small fish like this that’s not a Clown. Will you let him live his final moments?

If I can catch it without stressing everyone else out in the tank I would go ahead and euthanize it with clove oil. But it's still alert and eating and can still move pretty quick when I get too close cleaning, what I'd hate to do is have it get caught by any of the BTAs trying to catch it as that would be a painfull death.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back