Old Hawkfish :/

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like I'm going to loose this guy. :'( This Flame Hawk was bought in summer of 2004 and has been a fixture sitting atop the rockwork watching people go by. It's still eating well but the last few weeks it's behavior has changed markedly and slightly more recent it's colors have started to fad. It's picked a quite corner under a rock where it watches everyone and is not nearly as active. Not the first time I've seen this process - an old fish slows down and starts looking kinda ratty like old cats or old dogs when their coats have faded. (Since people will ask the most recent additions to this system was a Yellow Watchman Goby in 2018, Yellow Tang was rehomed to this tank in 2013 [originall purchased in 2000] and a pair of percula clowns added in 2010, damsels and Coral Beauty were added with the Hawk in 2004.)

Old Flame Hawk 20210913.jpg

Old Flame Hawk 20210913A.jpg

Here's a pic of the tank:

Big Red 20210819.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be a sad day. :(

Out of curiosity, about how big did it get?

Thank you! I'd say close to max size, 3"+ The male in a pair in another system I've had since 2007 is larger and might be over 3 1/2" but the female is clearly much smaller, < 3". I'd say 3" is probably the average flame hawks will get and 8-10 years is a lot more realistic age to expect them to live.

:( I’m sorry to hear that. But 17 years….. that’s amazing. I bet the fish is 18-19 if not 20 or a bit older than 20.

Have you also had the Yellowtail Damsels and Coral Beauty for 17 years?

Thank you! Could be 20+ but I'm guessing it likely was a juvenile so 18ish is probably a more realisitic estimate. Yeah, I went back and double checked records on the damsels and angel. There were originally 6 yellow tail damsels but there have been only two for a few years now so the average is likely a lot closer to 10 years or less. The Coral Beauty is the oldest dwarf angel I've had by far, I've had several dwarfs make it 12-14 years but most only 8-10 years which is more inline with their wild counterparts.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like I'm going to loose this guy. :'( This Flame Hawk was bought in summer of 2004 and has been a fixture sitting atop the rockwork watching people go by. It's still eating well but the last few weeks it's behavior has changed markedly and slightly more recent it's colors have started to fad. It's picked a quite corner under a rock where it watches everyone and is not nearly as active. Not the first time I've seen this process - an old fish slows down and starts looking kinda ratty like old cats or old dogs when their coats have faded. (Since people will ask the most recent additions to this system was a Yellow Watchman Goby in 2018, Yellow Tang was rehomed to this tank in 2013 [originall purchased in 2000] and a pair of percula clowns added in 2010, damsels and Coral Beauty were added with the Hawk in 2004.)

Old Flame Hawk 20210913.jpg

Old Flame Hawk 20210913A.jpg

Here's a pic of the tank:

Big Red 20210819.jpg
what are those anenomes. please dont let them be long tentacle please donnt let them be long tentacle. im sorry that your hawk might die soon. you kept him for his natural lifespan though.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your fish. That's a dam good run, though. Congrats.

It's great to see people keep fish that do so well in captivity. It's fun to keep some short lived wrasses, but it's good for us to choose hardy and long lived fishes too

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and her should be celebrated for the fellowship you have enjoyed over the last 17 years, the fact that you have enjoyed each other's company and the fact that you were able to provide her with the perfect parameters to live this long is something to celebrate!!!
Losing a pet after this much time is difficult but you have enjoyed the ride of a lifetime TOGETHER!!!
CHEERS to you both!!!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Timfish Sorry he's failing. Old age happens to everything, and he was lucky to be with you that entire time

My 10+ year old 6 line wrasse is dying of old age right now too. I'm his 3rd owner, so he may be even older. Its really hard to watch. He rallied about two months ago, but he's back to sitting on his back (air bladder problems). I'm trying to keep everything as stable as possible to keep his last days calm.

OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Timfish Sorry he's failing. Old age happens to everything, and he was lucky to be with you that entire time

My 10+ year old 6 line wrasse is dying of old age right now too. I'm his 3rd owner, so he may be even older. Its really hard to watch. He rallied about two months ago, but he's back to sitting on his back (air bladder problems). I'm trying to keep everything as stable as possible to keep his last days calm.

It's hard watching someone go down hill and not being able to do anything. Euthanizing a fish isn't an easy decision sometimes, clove oil is about as painless as it can be but there's still the stress of catching the fish and putting it in a container, can't help but feel it's torturing the fish in it's final moments. And if they're still eating and swimming you gotta hope it'll start improving.

OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your fish. That's a dam good run, though. Congrats.

It's great to see people keep fish that do so well in captivity. It's fun to keep some short lived wrasses, but it's good for us to choose hardy and long lived fishes too

Thank you!

(This is kinda a side note here but I saw something on a Changing Seas episode on Bluehead Wrasses and short lived in our tanks is ages compared to the wild super males that only live months.)

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish. It sounds like you have provided it the best of care over the years. Although sad it’s amazing to see it live such a long life :) Best of luck and my condolences again

OP
OP
Timfish

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are those anenomes. please dont let them be long tentacle please donnt let them be long tentacle. im sorry that your hawk might die soon. you kept him for his natural lifespan though.

They're BTAs, three varieties or clone kines Rose, Teal w/pink tips and Brown. The brown was initially purchased in '97.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back