Old School Old Guy Redux

Larry J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, all of the pictures and videos I made over the last ~ year got scrapped as I ended up trashing my Mid Century Modern 125gal custom acrylic tank just days before I was to put water in it. I was staging the tank on my deck when a gust of wind blew it off and cracked the tank badly. The options were to either have a new tank built or walk away from $10k of equipment I'd already purchased. I had a bedroom office full of QT tanks, Trigger Sump with Theiling Rollermat, Apex with Trident....you get the picture. So I've been working with TruVu Aquariums to build another. Kudos to them for working with me to develope a custom 135gal tank with custom drilled overflow.

So, the tank ships next week! ☃️☃️☃️Merry Christmas to me!!!☃️☃️☃️

In the interim, I've been building a water mixing station and routing drains, RODI, and salt water lines from my dungeon of a crawlspace. Its an old house whose previous tenants must have been gnomes! Claustrophobia and old age add to the fun.

It will be nice to marry the stand with the lights and rock and regain use of my office and living room. Did I mention the boxes, piles of sand and rock...or the closet taken over by the 60" Aquatic Illumination hybrid LED/Actinic fixture and bulbs? Anyway, I'm excited to get the fish and frags from their QT tanks into their home. If I was married, surely this amazing amount of clutter would be a huge stress point.

Pictures to come after the arrival of the tank. Did I mention the garage full of true gate valves (from 3/4" to 1-1/2") unions, and pipe nipples that overtook the garage? It should be an interesting ride as this tank and mixing station get assembled

If you are going through hell, keep going.
Sir Winston Churchill

OP
OP
L

Larry J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's here!!! It's here!!!

It's a cold, blustery overcast day here in Colorado and not fun moving the new 135 gal tank onto it's temporary location. Won't mention any namesabout who screwed up an trashed the old one

I am very pleased with how it was packaged when it arrived...two layers of heavy gauge plastic sheet sandwiching a 3/4" layer of styrofoam, labeled "fragile" everywhere, with 2 × 3" framing, three bands on an oversized pallet. UPS Freight did a good job not damaging it on the trip from Arizona.

TruVu aquariums were meticulous passing drawings back and forth because of the custom Bean Animal drain, double returns, and a emergency drain. They made the tank with 1/2" acrylic on all sides with black back and overflow. The seams I've seen have no bubbles that I can see...amazing!!!

Pictures below are from my phone, nothing exciting to anyone but me but at 70+ it doesn't take much. As I destroyed its predecessor, all of the months worth of sanding and polishing the Mid Century Modern acrylic tank are pretty useless. I guess I get to bore you with the next steps of stand building, aquascape, and reclaiming my house and home office that's filled with boxes of stuff for the mixing station etcetera.
So, all of the pictures and videos I made over the last ~ year got scrapped as I ended up trashing my Mid Century Modern 125gal custom acrylic tank just days before I was to put water in it. I was staging the tank on my deck when a gust of wind blew it off and cracked the tank badly. The options were to either have a new tank built or walk away from $10k of equipment I'd already purchased. I had a bedroom office full of QT tanks, Trigger Sump with Theiling Rollermat, Apex with Trident....you get the picture. So I've been working with TruVu Aquariums to build another. Kudos to them for working with me to develope a custom 135gal tank with custom drilled overflow.

So, the tank ships next week! ☃️☃️☃️Merry Christmas to me!!!☃️☃️☃️

In the interim, I've been building a water mixing station and routing drains, RODI, and salt water lines from my dungeon of a crawlspace. Its an old house whose previous tenants must have been gnomes! Claustrophobia and old age add to the fun.

It will be nice to marry the stand with the lights and rock and regain use of my office and living room. Did I mention the boxes, piles of sand and rock...or the closet taken over by the 60" Aquatic Illumination hybrid LED/Actinic fixture and bulbs? Anyway, I'm excited to get the fish and frags from their QT tanks into their home. If I was married, surely this amazing amount of clutter would be a huge stress point.

Pictures to come after the arrival of the tank. Did I mention the garage full of true gate valves (from 3/4" to 1-1/2") unions, and pipe nipples that overtook the garage? It should be an interesting ride as this tank and mixing station get assembled

If you are going through hell, keep going.
Sir Winston Churchill

Attachments

• 20210105_125113.jpg
    20210105_125113.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210105_122748.jpg
    20210105_122748.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210105_122807.jpg
    20210105_122807.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210105_123538.jpg
    20210105_123538.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210105_124625.jpg
    20210105_124625.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210105_124643.jpg
    20210105_124643.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210105_124650.jpg
    20210105_124650.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 48

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back