OMGitsManBearPig's First Salt Tank

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,

This is my first saltwater aquarium. It’s a 75 gallon Marineland PetSmart special. This size was picked due to space constraints and low sale price. It is my goal to have a thriving mixed reef community in my office. I am present in this office from precisely 7:45AM to 5PM Monday through Friday. This means that I will be depending on automation to keep things going.

FullTank.png

As you can see, I have the tank up and running. I’m using a cheap tank, cheap stand, cheap lights, cheap rock, a cheap sump, and cheap pumps. (Notice a theme? :p) ... (The breeder net on the left is holding some chaeto I got the day the pic was taken... waiting on the reactor to get built... more on that in a few.)

It took about 3 weeks to get the sump built (…badly, I haven’t silicone sealed anything before…), holes drilled, overflow installed, and plumbing completed (also badly… never done that before, either.) I’m happy to go into more detail on any of those points if anyone asks any questions.

Then, it took about four more weeks to get the tank cycled using a large ammonia infusion. I just dumped a bunch in and let it ride. I have no idea how much I used. After I stopped reading ammonia (2 weeks), then stopped reading nitrite (another 3 days), and stabilized on nitrate readings (3 weeks), I dumped in some more ammonia and watched the show. I did a 60% water change, did it again, and did another 60% water change to get the nitrates down to about 20. I watched it for about 4 days and continued to see nitrates fall… which seems like magic - but I’ll take it. (No, I didn't have the Chaeto, yet.)

I am guessing the daily dosing of 4 capfuls of SeaChem Stability aided in the swift cycling and reduction of nitrates. How about that? They aren’t full of BS in their claims of the cocktail containing denitrifying bacteria… I wonder how they pulled that off.

The ultimate goal of this tank is to be a no-water-change system. Perhaps Triton or some similar method.

Anyway, here’s the plumbing and other tech stuff:

SumpRight.png SumpMid.png SumpLeft.png SumpElectrical.png

You are seeing a ($25) 20 gallon long tank (don’t be like me – go for the 40 breeder. 20 Gallon is barely big enough) with a ($99) fijicube.com baffle kit. The kit is superb, my silicone skills are not. The sump does a fine job, however. I’d just prefer it be a bit taller. Maybe a 29 would be sufficient.

The overflow is a ($160) Synergy Reef Shadow Overflow and the second most expensive component of the tank. I figured “go big” because it’s at work - and a flood would likely end my employment. I feel confident it will be fine. It’s plumbed up in a BeanAnimal setup that I am happy to show details on if anyone is interested in how I modified the included elbows to work this system as originally intended.

The Skimmer is a ($200) Reef Octopus 110INT Classic that will start doing something once there is a bioload. It’s fine. I dumped a couple ($20) 200-watt Marineland heaters in the sump until I have a more controllable solution (A lot more on this in a bit.) I am using a ($75) Jebao DCP-6500 return pump at 90% (probably could have gone a size up) that is doing quite well.

You may notice some DIY power strip thing in the sump. I have the main return, wave maker, ato, and skimmer plugged into this power strip. The on/off switch kills all four. Switching the power back on turns the main return pump and wave maker back on and starts a variable delay for the skimmer and the ATO. I have it currently set to five minutes. I can do a DIY thread on this, if anyone is interested.

I plan on growing Chaeto using one or two semi-DIY algae reactors from ($45) bio reactor kits from drsfostersmith and wrapping them with LED light strips from Amazon that teenagers use to grow weed. I bought two… so that should be plenty overkill to denitrify the tank – I’m guessing. Pics incoming once the reactors arrive.

There are four green chromis in the tank that are currently battling to the death – highlander style – and I have a 20g extra high kit coming in from reefcleaners.org along with half a dozen hermits. I think having 150 snails in a tank is ludicrous, so I went with a smaller package.

The rocks are just amazon cheap base rock. It’s working fine. I’m not super happy with the scape, but it’s my first whack and it seems to be generating good feedback from my coworkers. Open to feedback.

LightBulbs.png

My lights are also something you might find in the converted closet of a dorm room growing pot. They are ($120) AgroBrite T5’s and a ($20) moonlight from Marineland. I pitched the included 6500k’s in the trash and installed 4x Actinic and 2x 10,000k by Hamilton Lighting from drsfostersmith ($10 each). They do well… It’s a very bright tank, now.

The next thing in the sump you might notice is my DIY auto top off. I found a pump on Amazon ($12) that I think was designed to distribute water for hydroponics basins (for more teens growing weed, I suppose) and I thought it might work. It does. I scavenged a 12v DC adapter and plugged it into a Hydor water level controller I got on clearance ($65). Worked a treat. Salinity is rock solid. I just tied a couple of air stones (as ballast) on a length of tubing and drop it into a 5-gallon jug of fresh that I change every four days (Tuesday morning and Friday afternoon.)

You may note that I have tags on everything. This is in the case of an emergency and I’m not around. I want to be able to tell the secretary how to solve a problem over the telephone. Labels are critical to not making a bad day worse.

That leads me to automation... this is gonna take a minute to share my vision…

I initially thought the Apex system to be insultingly expensive. Turns out, it isn’t. It’s a fair deal. But, to find this out, I began a thought experiment to see how much it would take for me to design my own. I’m guessing it will take about $500 to build my own controller from scratch. It will require a tremendous amount of experimentation and design that I have never attempted before. So, $800 plus add-ons for a commercial ready product seems quite fair.

Alas, I’ve already done the work in my head and now I want to know if I have what it takes to make it real. So, I’m going to make my own out of a Raspberry Pi and a bunch of relays and other components instead of buy one. I’ve never really soldered electronics before… and never programmed anything, either. So, this should be interesting. I’ve read what others have attempted and I think I can get this done on my own – value proposition be danged. It’s time to stretch my Google-Fu skills and make it happen.

Here’s my goal: I want a Raspberry Pi controlling all equipment and taking full sensor measurements 24/7 - and logging/serving them to a web-accessible database with a web interface. An Android app would be pretty slick, too. I’d like to have a wireless touchscreen tablet control on the wall. So – I better add UI design to the list of things I don’t know how to do, either.

I think I’ll need 26 relay-controlled outlets (So I’ll do a few extra - 4x boxes for a total of 32 channels of remote controlled outlets); all accessible for manual/timer/intelligent IFTT-style control via app. Turns out, the hardware is a pretty trivial matter as it is a standard integrated circuit connected via a digital bus to the Pi using two wires. Cool. These controlled relays will run lights, pumps, reactors, skimmer – everything connected to power.

Next, I want a few temperature probes, a few PH probes, an ORP (I guess… I don’t fully understand the science on this one, yet), a salinity probe, and space for a few more probes like dissolved oxygen and a second salinity probe. I then want optical level sensors for ATO (low/High/Emergency/Reservoir) and another one for each of the dosing containers that I will eventually have. The Neptune DOS &DDR sell for $225 per chamber. That’s insulting. I think I can do it for about $19 per chamber including the peristaltic pumps and optical sensors. So, I’ll start with 4 chambers and keep room for another 4 if I ever need to expand my dosing regime. I also think I’d rather find a way to mount the pump directly on the reservoir lid… maybe on the side (?)… I’ll keep stewing on that one…

I also want to eventually get an alkalinity controller. Those are so cool. What an amazing addition to the hobby. You Old Salts must be beside yourselves in excitement for such an innovation. I don’t know how I could easily replicate one on my own because I have no clue how they work. I’ll research that, but in the meantime, I am planning on getting a Kh Guardian about a year from now. So, I’ll plan my controls to interface with that device in an intelligent manner, somehow, too. (If that’s even possible.)

I also want to access and control a couple of webcams for sump, tank, and room.

Finally, I also want a flow sensor on the return pump and ATO pump because parameter co-witnessing means I can be on a weeks-long business trips and not panic that my reef is dying. I’m also curious how much water is being moved. I think more data is better. So, why not? The sensors are only a couple of bucks and I’m planning to have 32 channels of i2c input/output available to utilize.

You may be wondering why the redundancy on a few of these sensors. I plan on having a full-time macro algae tank on my desk (because algae are cool) that will be optionally transitioned into a hospital/refuge tank as needed going on my desktop. It’ll be a separate system. Having a probe rack tucked in the back of a small biocube (and full control of all electrical components) would just be nerdy and fun. I think I can do it – therefore I will.

So, in summary, I need to learn how to do the following: hook up a Pi to these various components and make them interface, program them all to interact in whatever language that will be, set up a web server, figure out how to log all this data, serve all this real time data to end users in a visually pleasing manner, reliably control/time/program all those relays and sensors, and design a user interface that is intuitive.

It’s quite a project considering I bring to the table no actual experience in any of these fields. But, I was bored - and I started this tank to get a challenge. I think this will do just fine.

I guess I should start a DIY thread once I get a few things off paper and in the real word. Parts are ordered, so it should be soon. I’ll update this thread once I do.

Thoughts on the tank or the vision?

SumpMid.png

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great write up! This sounds like it is going to be very cool. The folks in your office are pretty lucky!

If I might suggest a couple of things for your aquascape, I would try and make it less uniform along the top. Different heights and angles will make it more interesting, especially in an office setting. Right now it is almost exactly horizontal the length of the tank. I think you may find it better to remove a couple of rocks rather than rearranging using it all. Just my opinion of course.

OP
OP
OMGitsManBearPig

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice. I’ll take a look at the rocks and see if any can be rotated or adjusted. I’ve actually considered restacking it all into a couple of islands, as well.
Thanks for the feedback! I’ll take it all!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great pictures and write up, very nice tank so far.

And welcome to R2R by the way!

Kevin Jaako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely following along. I admire your ambition and your attitude. You've carved out quite the project for yourself :)
KJ

OP
OP
OMGitsManBearPig

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DrsFosterSmith.com discounted TLF PhosBan 150's with Hydor came in the mail yesterday.
Dumped in some Chaeto I had waiting, slapped the led strip "grow lights" from Amazon, and connected them to a cheap timer running opposite my display tank light schedule.
Fired it up and tuned the flow down a bit.
IMG_0453.jpg IMG_0454.jpg

I'll report back in a few on performance. I'll worry about appearance in a few weeks when I do my first sump cleanup.
I bought two so I could run some side-by -side experiments regarding flow, light intensity and time, and their effects on algae growth.

Clean up crew arrives tomorrow; good news due to the sudden bloom of cyano. I'm pretty confident my leftovers from overfeeding are causing this.
I also have a "frag pack" of macro algae coming. It's just 10 random cuttings of the more colorful macro algae, I think. I thought it would be fun to set up an auxiliary tank for QT/hospital purposes on my desk. Will probably pick up a 20 long and a simple HOB filter tonight and set it up after work tomorrow.

On the electronics front:
A bunch of optical sensors are ordered from banggood that'll ship someday...
8 channel relay boards for the 4-gang electrical boxes will be delivered today
The raspberry pi, a bunch of breadboards, and some other hobby wiring parts will arrive Monday
The PH probe, ORP probe, and 2 temp probes along with i2c controller boards will be arriving tomorrow

Next step will be to begin wiring per diagrams and experimenting with code. Further research has unearthed several similar efforts by others. For example: ReefPi. I'll likely take a lot of code from these projects - the open sourced ones, that is - and use that to help learn.

I saw that APEX was just releasing a $500 version of their controller. My first instinct was to start looking up return policies... but further research tells me the $500 version doesn't have a few key features... hehehe... lame. My project continues. I may be onto something here, if I can get it to work in a tight package with a good interface for half that cost... we'll see.

More to come...

OP
OP
OMGitsManBearPig

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the inexpensive performance of these PhosBan 150's from Two Little Fishes so much that I got a third that will actually run GFO.
It comes in on Tuesday. BRS is shipping the GFO media from Canada at about warp 5. It gets here today. 1 day shipping for free? Really? Nice.

Anyway - the PH prob, salinity probe, and two temperature probes came in the mail along with their i2c buffers/interfaces yesterday. All that I lack are the i2c interfaces for the relay boards, the Raspberry Pi to control it all, and a bunch of small components. And the thousand of lines of code I have to learn to write to make this work. I expect to have the relays up and running pretty quick. I also expect to be able to track the ph, salinity, and temperature by end of next week.

I will be moving the discussion of this project to the DIY board and linking in an upcoming post.

I also set up a quarantine tank in expectation of receiving livestock from web shops. I don't have a reliable aquarium shop in the area. So, I have to take the risk on shipping from web suppliers. I will be slowly adding the standard compliment of "reef compatible" fish. Probably two Darwin clowns starring the show and some compatible supporting cast.

I also received an order from reefcleaners.org that arrived in almost perfect condition. The USPS had their way with the box and the 10 hermits were down to 5 sickly ones. They might make it. I added the following to the tank:
Antillean ( I think) Nerite Snails - 10
Dwarf Cerith Snails - 20
Florida Cerith Snails - 6
Dwarf assorted hermits - 5
Nassarius Vibex Snails - 7

I also picked up a macro algae "frag pack" form John over at reefcleaners. Good dude, by the way.
One of the the 10 macro algae samples was a total bust - it completely disintegrated in the bag and the putrid smell was stunning. So, nine samples of macro are now superglued to rock rubble and sitting in my quarantine tank. I guess that limits my means of medicating fish in quarantine - or other general hospital tank duties. I kind of prefer dipping in medicine, anyway.

Here's a few shots of this support tank and macro algae:
(Ignore the empty shells, those are just soaking to make sure there aren't any residual organics before I put in main tank.)
(Also ignore the probes, those are just staying hydrated. Not plugged in.)
IMG_0455.jpg IMG_0467.jpg IMG_0462.jpg

OP
OP
OMGitsManBearPig

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time:

Tank is just about two months old.
I've kept three of the four chromis alive - which I think is a victory. The three remaining: Ed, Edd, and Eddy are all doing fine. Eddard - true to his name was almost immediately murdered with little backstory developed.

I've added two ORA Darwin (Black Ocellaris) Clownfish named Mo & Jo. They're pretty excellent. They we purchased a week apart due to a shipping issue that led to a loss. THey immediately paired up and have been inseparable. Truly wonderful to watch that process. They are completely unaware of the tiny BTA's existence, so far.

BTW: I've also added a Green BTA that I'll probably regret later, but I'm having fun with it right now.

Finally, Ive added a few coral:
Cadmium Pcillopora (Pocillipora damicornis) - very active in its shaking about in the tank - mesmerizing
Purple Polyp Green Birdsnest (Seriatopora hystrix) - still waiting for it to color up
Purple Stylophora (Stylophora pistillata) - probably the most attractive thing in the tank, right now
Sunburst Pavona (Pavona maldevensis) - meh
and an assorted set of Zoanthids marketed as Marshall's Zoos - also meh

The algae reactor needed emptying out as it was full. After 17 days and moderate feeding in the tank with a minimal bioload. This is OUTSTANDING growth. Pics will be included of the excess I pitched in my macro tank.

The macro tank is doing ok. I'm kind of neglecting it. The pic included is a bit dirty because I just moved the big wad of chaeto to stop blocking sight of the other macro. So, it's typically crystal clear water. Most of the macro algae is growing well and is fascinating to see. I'll be moving this tank to the house in a few weeks because my better half is getting a bit jealous of all the fun I'm having at the office without her. I nano tank is just what the doctor ordered. I thin I will keep the macro going in it because it could be very neat with a more freshwater style of aquascaping applied. This is a new venture for me - so the experimentation has been fun.

Next steps are to let this thing sit for a bit and stabilize. I do, however, want to modify the rock arrangement. Someone mentioned above that the rocks were a bit uniform. This is VERY true. I think I will ditch the middle part and go with a big and medium sized two-island look. I think I can do that by moving just 4 rocks in the middlle without disturbing the sand bed too much.

The rocks are greening up quite a bit. I suppose I should have soaked these... I didn't. I just pitched them in the tank and let them soak while the water cycled. It's unclear if this is phosphate leaching or just the beginning stages of a more desirable coraline. Anyone have any opinion?

Here are pics! - I need to bring up the nice camera to work and do some actual photos rather than unfiltered cell phone pics sometime soon. For now, enjoy the bad white balance!

IMG_0532.jpg IMG_0533.jpg IMG_0534.jpg IMG_0535.jpg IMG_0536.jpg IMG_0537.jpg IMG_0538.jpg IMG_0539.jpg IMG_0540.jpg

OP
OP
OMGitsManBearPig

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update part 2:

The tech stuff.

This is really just my space to think out loud here. I dont expect anyone to actually be able to have meaningful input. If you see an error or have anything to add - please do feel entitled to reply!!

I have learned enough C++/Arduino computer language to have successfully made an Arduino control 64 channels of relays utilizing GPIO expansion microchips - MCP23017's in this case. (I used this many channels as a proof of concept because: why not?). This means that 32 relays and 32 buttons to manually override them is completely within my capability and just a matter of changing 32 channels to inputs rather than outputs. I do need to learn more about multiple interrupt signals... That's getting outside the scope of this log, however.

I have learned enough python computer language to enslave an Arduino to a master Raspberry Pi that will act as a server for the web app that I am envisioning to run this whole thing. My experiment successfully sent relay on/off instructions from a Pi (a program I wrote in Python to send C++ commands) to an Arduino over i2c communication protocol that instructed the Arduino (in C++ language) to trigger a relay. Next step is to expand the code to trigger any of 32 relays or read any of 32 relay states plus up to 32 momentary switches. I will update when this is successful. (I may or may not bother with the switches.)

I have also solved the i2c-long-cable-run problem by converting the delicate i2c signal into a more robust differential signal. Much like a studio microphone cable, this will allow very long runs with minimal signal integrity loss. The idea came to me when I was researching new headphones and looking at balanced options. The same principle applies to any electrical signal. And it works on i2c protocol as well. Turns out, there are already pre built modules to convert the protocol and terminate it with standard rj-45 ethernet cables. So, I'll be able to connect the main box and all of the relay boxes to each other via standard ethernet cable. Neat.

Next steps are to prototype the sensor suite of liquid level sensors and temp probes and flow sensors over analog communication and also convert it to i2c digital communication to be interpreted by the arduino/pi for uploading telemetry to the database for future reading by the web app. This digital conversion may not be necessary. But I still want to do it because I don't know how to do it, yet. Also - it would be nice to make a sensor suite expansion module that would need to communicate digitally to the main box. So - might as well gain the knowledge now.

I will then be able to add the other digital sensors to the i2c bus directly. I'm talking of the PH, ORP, Dissolved oxygen, and salinity/TDS probe interfaces. Getting these to report to the RPI through the same Ardunio attached to the relays should be a fairly trivial task based on my findings in the aforementioned tests.

I am now fairly confident that I am going to get the hardware sorted out in the next few days/weeks. The elephant in the room is now the software. I've been totally avoiding this because I don't even know where to start. I think my strategy will be to develop experiments to test functionality of each module and build on that - just as I have with hardware. I just know that I want to avoid using bootstrap to develop the interface. ...because then it would look like every other bootstrap app ever made. I dunno - maybe that's arrogant/foolish. People use it for a reason. I just want this to be different.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back