One Hanna Checker to rule them ALL!!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to be successful selling a product, check forum like this. You will find out what reefers really want instead of went ahead and made something only a few reefers prob buy because I need those since it’s the newest toy.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want to be successful selling a product, check forum like this. You will find out what reefers really want instead of went ahead and made something only a few reefers prob buy because I need those since it’s the newest toy.
What's sad is how many sold and how quickly. I think a lot of people didn't read the details close enough and think it is a "one stop shop" when this actually makes the testing procedure longer

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm…thought I wanted this thing as I’m still filling out my test kit supply…

think I’ll just get the individual eggs instead

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's sad is how many sold and how quickly. I think a lot of people didn't read the details close enough and think it is a "one stop shop" when this actually makes the testing procedure longer
Those are prob the one that “I must have the newest toy”. No offense to those that bought them lol

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm…thought I wanted this thing as I’m still filling out my test kit supply…

think I’ll just get the individual eggs instead
Even getting the individuals depends on what you're getting. I only have the phosphate ULR, ALK, and Calcium testers. Now I've read a bunch of reviews about how inaccurate the Calcium one is and with the cost per test of the ALK I might just sell it and use the money to order some Salifert kits.

For me, Hanna is quickly losing it's charm.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have been using this for a few months now and have to say I love it. The only issue is the cuvettes leak when inverting or shaking which is a little annoying and I assume may mess with the results if there is less water? Contacted Hanna yesterday and got a response today (Well done Hanna!) and have been told they are away to check the kits they have in stock to see if they have seals in the lids (Mine don't) so will see what they come back with. He did say they have not heard of this issue from anybody else which I find a bit odd. Here in the UK we still don't have this kit available to buy on the website and you have to special order it via email or phone.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so update time as he just called back. I have to apparently refit the plastic bungs the cuvettes were shipped with before screwing on the cap and inverting...I find this hard to believe as the little plastic bungs are really fiddly to remove once pushed in. They did offer to send me some bungs but I have kept mine and am glad I did! I will try it shortly to see if this fixes my issue although still not great is it?

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have been using this for a few months now and have to say I love it. The only issue is the cuvettes leak when inverting or shaking which is a little annoying and I assume may mess with the results if there is less water? Contacted Hanna yesterday and got a response today (Well done Hanna!) and have been told they are away to check the kits they have in stock to see if they have seals in the lids (Mine don't) so will see what they come back with. He did say they have not heard of this issue from anybody else which I find a bit odd. Here in the UK we still don't have this kit available to buy on the website and you have to special order it via email or phone.
Honest question for you...it doesnt bother / annoy you that you have to wait 7 minutes for the nitrates and then 3 minutes for the phosphates sequentially as opposed to doing them at the same time? I know we are only talking a few minutes (about 5 by my estimation and experience) here but that alone is a reason I chose the eggs. I do the nitrates and while the time is going I have just enough time to do the phosphates and they are done at roughly the same time.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest question for you...it doesnt bother / annoy you that you have to wait 7 minutes for the nitrates and then 3 minutes for the phosphates sequentially as opposed to doing them at the same time? I know we are only talking a few minutes (about 5 by my estimation and experience) here but that alone is a reason I chose the eggs. I do the nitrates and while the time is going I have just enough time to do the phosphates and they are done at roughly the same time.
I have the pocket checkers too and have to say no it doesn't bother me even slightly. All my tanks are at my work and mostly in my office space so I am always doing multiple things at the same time so waiting on results is fine. I totally get your point though and if that is something that bothers you this tester is possibly not for you. The benefits of this all-in-one for me outweigh the negative of having to wait a little longer between tests. Grabbing this one tester and all of its reagents in one case and logging results etc is perfect for somebody as busy as me. I have to say the egg testers on multiple occasions I walk away to do something and the result is gone, reagent wasted...This is not a new toy to me at all.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pocket checkers too and have to say no it doesn't bother me even slightly. All my tanks are at my work and mostly in my office space so I am always doing multiple things at the same time so waiting on results is fine. I totally get your point though and if that is something that bothers you this tester is possibly not for you. The benefits of this all-in-one for me outweigh the negative of having to wait a little longer between tests. Grabbing this one tester and all of its reagents in one case and logging results etc is perfect for somebody as busy as me. I have to say the egg testers on multiple occasions I walk away to do something and the result is gone, reagent wasted...This is not a new toy to me at all.
ahhh...never contemplated the 'set it and forget it' issue. Ok +1 for benefits.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess here is my next question. If I am not mistaken, Hanna just introduced another Egg (magnesium). Does the All in One handle these new test with a simple software update or will you be stuck using an egg if you want to test this as well? Thanks for the insights...debating if it is worth the transition.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess here is my next question. If I am not mistaken, Hanna just introduced another Egg (magnesium). Does the All in One handle these new test with a simple software update or will you be stuck using an egg if you want to test this as well? Thanks for the insights...debating if it is worth the transition.

With how poorly the new magnesium checker is working, it won't be a bad thing if this tester can't test it.

There are too many bad Hanna testers and pointless tests in this checker. Alkalinity, phosphate and nitrate are all you need from Hanna and I'm even on the fence about alkalinity at this point. Take 2 brand new reagents and test them back to back and you get totally different results. I keep a Red Sea alkalinity test on hand just in case Hanna gives me an odd result.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I spend $250 for 5 checkers (ULR nitrate is pointless) that I can test simultaneously in 10 minutes total or spend $400 to check them one at a time and spend 40-60 minutes testing.

Last edited by a moderator:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I spend $250 for 5 checkers (ULR nitrate is pointless) that I can test simultaneously in 10 minutes total or spend $400 to check them one at a time and spend 40-60 minutes testing.
A little harsh man.

some people just like new gear. some people like the fact that this gives them something to do and 60 minutes vs 10 minutes to test gives people something to do for an additional 50 minutes. Some people like the fact that this tracks the details.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So those of you that are moaning about the price, calling it a new toy etc etc. What is it you are looking for? All of the R&D put into these things goes unnoticed most of the time which is a shame. How about if this multiparameter tester had two reaction chambers? The egg testers were given a memory? What’s the ideal unit you want?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back