One thing you did that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

Have you ever made a decision that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 254 82.2%
  • NO

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped out my refugium for carbon dosing (vinegar).
Had issues with nitrate bottoming out and high phosphate. Now seeing significantly lower phosphate and able to keep my nitrate higher.
It hasn’t been that long, but so far my coral hasn’t ever been this happy and the tank is a lot less work.

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asked questions, listened to others, read about the successes and failures of others, and try to pay attention to the little things

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 years in the hobby - some decisions have greatly lowered cost and effort, but I don't think anything really expanded what I can keep. LEDs make high PAR easier and cheaper than anything I had before, but halides work at least as well and even the VHO and PC lights popular when I started will keep almost anything. Biggest change is what livestock is available.

20 years ago, you want Acropora? Green or purple is $50, brown is $20, no one had any other colors. But clams, Lobophyllia torch corals and hammers are also $20, ritteri anemone and gigantea were $40.
Can’t forget those sweet yellow Fiji leathers or Porites

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping my systems temp to 77 degrees really seemed to help increase coral growth. Both sps and LPS.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say honestly purchasing easy to keep corals. They're just awesome for nutrient control and stability and can easily be removed while simultaneously popping in the aquarium

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped out my refugium for carbon dosing (vinegar).
Had issues with nitrate bottoming out and high phosphate. Now seeing significantly lower phosphate and able to keep my nitrate higher.
It hasn’t been that long, but so far my coral hasn’t ever been this happy and the tank is a lot less work.
I'd keep the Fuge and make a little habitat for copepods or something else to culture x)

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting an Apex system / automating my tank. I have a busy life and it keeps an eye on some things for me. ATO keeps it filled and consistent. I can shut certain things off quickly and easily for feeding and maintenance. Reminds me to do task and when to foil my ATO bucket.

Just helps me keep things in order and reminds me and that helps keep the water stable.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important thing I did was re read the book I wrote. I am old and forget things like you can't put kissing gouramis or bull frogs in a salt water tank so I like to refresh my memory. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m not sure which I would rank #1. Using wet gulf rock shipped in water or discovering that time is our best friend and acknowledging that it is also our nemesis at the same time.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back