One unknown mollusk and one unknown snail

Rijos Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have here two Mollusks... I think
The first toothlike creature wandered one night in my tank and after recording it, I never saw it again, but I am still dying to know what it was. My own theory is that it is a normal snail but it's shell got cut off partially.

It's in a video I posted on Youtube, link is below. The video speed is increased, so it's not moving that crazy :) Any corrections on the other critters in the video are most welcome.

videoclip of the creature

The other looks like a Nassarius snail that hitched in my Chaeto but I'm not sure, could be another kind of Conch snail (that's the family right?)
I want to drop in my tank if it is one.

Well hope for an answer, thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 20.40.05.png
IMG_0213.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen that particular snail before ... it almost looks as though it ought to be a nassarius type, but so do many whelks.

As for the other - it _looks_ like some kind of bivalve, especially when the two halves part slightly in the video - but it _moves_ much faster than I've ever seen a bivalve move.

@KJ, have you ever seen creatures like these?

~B.

OP
OP
Rijos Reef

Rijos Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input. :) There are two reasons for its fast movements: One being that the footage is sped up, and two in some parts of the footage it is facing the wave makers flow, making it "dance" I uploaded another video with just the creature in normal speed, hope that helps identifying it. thank you.

Full video unknown creature

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if it’s Nucula proxima, more commonly known as the Atlantic Nut clam. My main reason for believing this is they seem to have grooves at the aperture, which might explain the black dots on the exterior. I’ve never seen a bivalve climb a rock face like this- very interesting! I’ll keep looking, cause I’m not 100% satisfied with this theory.

D588BE16-47CA-4D51-B08C-39007212CC79.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Snail is a whelk ( often confused with nassarius)

Pic on other too tiny

OP
OP
Rijos Reef

Rijos Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if it’s Nucula proxima, more commonly known as the Atlantic Nut clam. My main reason for believing this is they seem to have grooves at the aperture, which might explain the black dots on the exterior. I’ve never seen a bivalve climb a rock face like this- very interesting! I’ll keep looking, cause I’m not 100% satisfied with this theory.

D588BE16-47CA-4D51-B08C-39007212CC79.jpeg
Oh wow... Like Maritimer said, I'm from Indonesia and the live rock it presumably came from are from the waters of Indonesia, hope that helps with the quest.

I hope it still alive somewhere in my tank. Let us know if you find anything else.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back