Only 3 minutes? Hannah phosphoros time out

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any one else have trouble taking the vial out of the checker carefully putting in the reagent sealing carefully shaking the vial for 2 minutes. Wiping the fingerprints off and getting the vial back into the checker in the 3 minutes before it turns it's self off.... It seems silly that the all checker stays on for 8 whole minutes and all you have to do is add reagent and invert gently 6 times kinda backwards if you ask me

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first couple of times I did. I now use a timer, open the regen ahead of time and leave everything ready to go.

My only complaint is that I use Apex to track my ULR results but they round while doing the PPB to PPM and don't use the exact number from the PPB to PPM chart. This is an APEX issue not Hanna but seen it on a few occasions now.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You have to prepare the packet of reagent, cut open and folded. I have an older Hanna LR that has a 2 minute shutoff. If you aren't steady with your hands, you risk spilling reagent. I've heard some buy a small funnel to add the reagent with.

I went back to Salifert since I don't really care for precise measurements, but occasionally run a Hanna test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first couple of times I did. I now use a timer, open the regen ahead of time and leave everything ready to go.

My only complaint is that I use Apex to track my ULR results but they round while doing the PPB to PPM and don't use the exact number from the PPB to PPM chart. This is an APEX issue not Hanna but seen it on a few occasions now.
That's my exact routine I feel rushed and I get in a hurry you know what happens then.... It's so frustrating when it goes off as I'm putting the vial in another pouch wasted

twwety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one turns off after 7 mintues also the regent seems to mix a lot quicker.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any one else have trouble taking the vial out of the checker carefully putting in the reagent sealing carefully shaking the vial for 2 minutes. Wiping the fingerprints off and getting the vial back into the checker in the 3 minutes before it turns it's self off.... It seems silly that the all checker stays on for 8 whole minutes and all you have to do is add reagent and invert gently 6 times kinda backwards if you ask me
Yup, it does that.
Don’t press C1 until your initial water ready and packet ready.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seven minutes would be great...I like the ppb checker because it's supposed to be more accurate on the low end but I had no idea it was going to be this difficult for me to test the other day I wasted 2 packs trying to do this thing right I even did the second one right but it wouldn't read and I had to start over why does that happen

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, I only have the pH one, calcium and alk..but they come with 2 tubes. Can you have one with the reagent in it ready to go? use 1 for the first test, the 2nd for the next? (2 step)

twwety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, some people will say it can throw off the color reading but I've never noticed a difference.
Assuming you don't have a stained tube

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this one and it’s super easy!

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, I only have the pH one, calcium and alk..but they come with 2 tubes. Can you have one with the reagent in it ready to go? use 1 for the first test, the 2nd for the next? (2 step)
I've tried when it was brand new but I didn't have any luck it kept reading a blinking zero or something like that and In the instructions it says that is caused by some sort of error and one of the suggestions was switching the vials during the test.... It's like it knows you put something different than the original sample water back in

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seven minutes would be great...I like the ppb checker because it's supposed to be more accurate on the low end but I had no idea it was going to be this difficult for me to test the other day I wasted 2 packs trying to do this thing right I even did the second one right but it wouldn't read and I had to start over why does that happen

Don't the instructions say to mix for 2 mins until clear, I guess if you find it's clear after 1.45 you could stop then, I would be consistent with this tho, always shake for 1.45 from then on.

Have to say tho, if your reagent is ready, you have a full min to add the reagent and then wipe, sounds as you are either not preparing your reagent correctly or being OCD in wiping the vial.

I bought some Exel micro fibre cloths, they are excellent, I dip the vial in rodi water then wipe, takes only a few seconds, lens micro fibre cloths I find are rubbish and just smear the finger prints around the vial.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not ideal as the glass the vials are made of are not identical which would throw off the result.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem with how I do it. First, I put the water in and then wipe the vial with a lint free cloth. I place the vial next to the checker on the case. Then I open the reagent. I turn on the checker and start a timer on my phone. I place the vial in the checker and then press the button and wait for C2 to appear. I note the time on my timer. I take the vial out only touching the lid and hold the vial with the lint free cloth. I pour the reagent into the vial and replace the cap. I then note the time again on the timer and gently turn the vial for 2 minutes. I then put the vial in the checker and long press the button until the 3:00 minute timer appears. My process from the time C2 appears until I get the 3:00 timer on the checker takes about 2 minutes and 30- 40 seconds. Works every time for me. Hope this helps.:)

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a timer, you can always put it in when 30 second of the 3 minutes are left. If that means you weren't finished inverting for 2 minutes then so be it, you can keep mixing after you put it in and pressed the button, it waits a couple minutes after you pressed the button anyway

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now i'm wondering if i've been doing the test wrong. i follow these steps:

-fill up the vial, wipe with cloth and then put in the checker and press button
-take out of checker and put in reagent. mix for two minutes
-wipe with cloth, put back in checker and hold button down. wait for reading to show after three mins

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now i'm wondering if i've been doing the test wrong. i follow these steps:

-fill up the vial, wipe with cloth and then put in the checker and press button
-take out of checker and put in reagent. mix for two minutes
-wipe with cloth, put back in checker and hold button down. wait for reading to show after three mins
Sounds right to me...OP is having an issue with their model of checker turning off whilst they are still shaking and wiping after adding the reagent, some models turn off sooner than others.

Back