Open top reefs and incense

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
I have an open top aquarium (100cm x 45cm x 35cm. about 170L system) with two Allardi clowns in a Macrodactyla Doreensis Anemone. I also have 1 x lawnmower blenny, 1 x Melanurus wrasse and 1x yellow tail damsel.
Inverts: 1 x peppermint shrimp, and a couple of blue legged hermits.
Corals: A bunch of mushrooms and Gonipora. Just simple stuff, the focus of my system is the clowns and anemones.

I was wondering, being an open top aquarium and burning incense - would this diffuse into the water and cause any negative effects over time? You can smell it burning fairly strongly (I guess this is the purpose of incense), and when its burning, incense smoke pretty much travels all over my apartment. I have also not burned incense for quite some time, but started again these last few weeks
Other factors to consider:
I don't burn it everyday, Maybe once or twice a week at most.
My apt is a studio, about 460sqf. I keep a fair number of indoor plants too.

Thus far I have not experienced negative effects. Corals, anemones and fish are all fine to date. I wondering if toxins could build up over time and cause a crash suddenly, or if there really is nothing to worry about.
IMG_20200212_182856.jpg
IMG_20200212_182936.jpg

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the skimmer would draw it into the water. Or it could drawn in by strong turbulence at the water surface.

Scwahl44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a problem with this but I would watch out, the skimmer could infuse that with the water, if you run carbon though you should be fine , just keep and eye on it

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks for the responses. I guess this is not something that has been discussed or looked at before on the internet. In terms of reef keeping.
Ill continue to keep and eye out and update of anything that happens.
I have alot of surface agitation, and the skimmer I run is actually the closest part of the tank to the incense. Its a smaller skimmer, inside the tank top right hand side just sticking out. The incense is burnt on that wooden shelf directly behind it.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that primer, the kind for smoke on walls, is a killer! After my mom passed, we had her room painted. Only room she smoked in. the stuff was so noxious I had a hard time breathing. Shut all windows and doors and put towels to block under her door as the crew had the sliding door open. Next morning my tanks were clouding. figured out it was a bacteria spike from losing half my fish in each tank, and the corals also didn't recover. Stuff in air does affect our tanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back