Operation Save the Scoly

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this Scoly from my LFS ive seen the coral in one of their tanks for about 1 month now and each time ive seen it its lost more and more flesh. Listed for $175 I told them if they keep it much longer it will be dead anyway and they sold it to me for $50.
Its rather large about the size of my fist, they said they have dipped it multiple times however i dipped it again myself.
IMG_5510.JPG

Purchased Today 10/3/2017 it looks much better under my lighting than at the fish store, i also don't think they were feeding it at all.
Its tri color with purple green and orange, If it recovers it will be one heck of a piece for a heck of a good price
IMG_5511.JPG

I will post updated photos each week and possible some feeding photos. Wish me luck!
ALSO i have never had a Scoly before due to the price but i have a mixed 90g reef with many different LPS and SPS so my parameters are where they need to be

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/11/2017
The scoly seems to be doing better its colors are much brighter and more vibrant, the tissue decay appears to have stopped and the center mouth seems to be repairing it self. Hard to capture this in picture due to iPhone camera but it will be more and more apparent as it hopefully progresses back to being healthy.
IMG_5519.JPG

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one I saved a few months back from a friend's tank that crashed. The recovery was so fast I could hardly believe it! The second pic is from just a few days ago.

6b261554b721b69a2d96298f99c0b4da.jpg

e4f8042b39d98dc0a3c62001b5d03ca8.jpg

WOW thats seriously impressive, mine doesn't seem to be bouncing back quite as fast but also has more significant damage, glad to hear other success stories tho!

jsh mee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since that happened people keep giving me their dying corals. Lol. Here's one I was just given about a week ago.

c8f34dff10246ca7d64adab97087b9b9.jpg

This is after about a week.

238477d6f795a7ceda7ddb10b440c02a.jpg

How is yours doing?

WOW thats seriously impressive, mine doesn't seem to be bouncing back quite as fast but also has more significant damage, glad to hear other success stories tho!

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you all doing to bring it back? Target feeding?

Good luck! Curious how this turns out and what you are doing to help it recover!

I have been removing it from the tank and putting it into a small bowl so i can target feed it reef roids, and phytoplankton, ive tried to feed it larger foods however it does not seem to be able to accept them yet.

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, that's a good idea. That seems to be working even without a form mouth? I have one in that state as well and would love to be able to nurse it back to health. My other is going strong though...

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, that's a good idea. That seems to be working even without a form mouth? I have one in that state as well and would love to be able to nurse it back to health. My other is going strong though...

Let me know what seems to be working for you, i am a long ways from an expert on these corals

Segalplayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested, in your flow ect too as I am looking at getting one today and maybe a rainbow that was dying

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 11.1%
Back